Casey Scorpions v Collingwood

KC from Casey

O mac was terrific down back. And although they didn't have a heap of it, stretch and Harmes looked very calm and composed when they did have the opportunity. A few questionable umpiring decisions but it was a great game.

Agree re O Mac. He took a nice strong grab at one stage and looked comfortable at this level, although at other times he seemed a bit out of place in positioning on the ground when we had the ball and were spreading, or when we were setting up for an oncoming attack. He's a good size and given a little time (nowhere near as much as a ruckman) I think he could come on pretty well.

I always love seeing Harmes go at it and he didn't disappoint today when it was his turn to go.

• Like 3

Ed Morris is an out and out little gun for Scorps. He is quick, agile inside packs and not afraid to get in and under. I love his endeavour. His overall size might be too small for the big league, but he has a heart twice as big as his body.

Ed Morris is an out and out little gun for Scorps. He is quick, agile inside packs and not afraid to get in and under. I love his endeavour. His overall size might be too small for the big league, but he has a heart twice as big as his body.

He reminds me of Shane Valenti. Elite at VFL level, but doesn't have a weapon that he can impose on AFL level.

lol - i used to play with rochford devenish-meares so i'm not without a modicum of familiarity with the practice

Strewth DC I take it Rochford had a nickname and don't tell me it was hyphen!

Quick, nobody say he 'will be elite' or will be a 'future star/captain''!

We ain't ruining another one.

Song you of all people should know that D'landers are so starved of seeing any quality AFL talent that even young very good "ordinary" footballers are always considered our next "superstar savior' before they've even played a match!!

• Like 2

As much as I want to see Tyson back and in form and get a look at ANB I'm just as excited by Harmes and hope he can be given a go soon. Without Kent and JKH we need a pacy half forward as much as inside ball winners. I hope he's in consideration.

Just read Max King had 18 touches as well as 3 goals. So he's not just sitting in the goal square at the D-League.

He probably needs 2 more preseasons to get anywhere with his fitness and strength at AFL level so there's absolutely no rush. I'm glad he's in good form in the D-League and next year will be his time to get in to the seniors.

vandenBerg is doing fine at AFL level coming from NEAFL, there's no rush to elevate a young guy. Yes he might not make it with his poor endurance but that's for another day. With the right amount of patience I'm a little excited by the King.

• Like 3

Think they'll give ANB a couple more at Casey. Tyson definitely in, then let's see what else presents itself. Salem must only be a couple of weeks away as well.

Salem is listed as 2 weeks, so should be straight in after the bye.

If we lose on Monday, then I'd like to see ANB get a gig against St Kilda.

If we win, someone is going to be unlucky to make way for Tyson.

O mac was terrific down back. And although they didn't have a heap of it, stretch and Harmes looked very calm and composed when they did have the opportunity. A few questionable umpiring decisions but it was a great game.

I thought it was his best game for the season, he got himself to a lot of contests today through hard work running. He reminds me a lot of his brother with the way he reads the play so well. Right now what he needs to do is drastically build up his core strength as he still gets to easily pushed aside by players shorter than him. He's not ready for senior footy this year but one we can enjoy watching develop over the next couple of years
  • Like 2

ANB, the bloke I know nothing about who seems to be getting better every game.

Someone tell me about him please.

Inside mid has great vision and loves kicking the ball low and flat to clear it out of packs. Decent size his body is probably ready, maybe only question would be leg speed at afl level bit hard to tell as all his balls are won in close. 21 second half posessions today easily his best game, he read both Ruckman really well when they took over in the second half. Will they give gone a game against the saints? He'd be more comfortable than billy was but perhaps patience and a couple more games of that standard would give selectors no choice. Very impressive game

Great summary mate. Sums him up to a T. The kid loves to compete, has a great tank for his age and goes all day. He'll bleed for us out there.

For the kid to get 35 disposals at this level is outstanding. I think Jimmy Magner got more than 50 touches in his final year but that was against the now defunct Bendigo Gold in a 100 point plus whipping *

For those who don't know about him, he's one of those hard nosed midfield extractors who goes well at the clearances. He might come in handy when he's ready (which shouldn't be too far off).

* yes, I know I'm setting myself up for a comeback from BBO :)

ANB 35 touches, what a beast

Thanks for the reports today mate.

How'd ANB look?

well, sounds like in summary, I'd say he's built like a beast, has a hard nose, loves a crack, works hard inside, is an extractor, gets the balls out for the creative types, & goes hard all day.

I reckon he's be lickin' his lips at the thought of getting elevated.

:roos:

Inside mid has great vision and loves kicking the ball low and flat to clear it out of packs. Decent size his body is probably ready, maybe only question would be leg speed at afl level bit hard to tell as all his balls are won in close. 21 second half posessions today easily his best game, he read both Ruckman really well when they took over in the second half. Will they give gone a game against the saints? He'd be more comfortable than billy was but perhaps patience and a couple more games of that standard would give selectors no choice. Very impressive game

Thanks for all that, DD

21 second half possessions - does that suggest a decent tank, or just a better one than VFL average? Would it suggest a sub rôle when he debuts?

Have never seen him but I suspect that I may in the next month or so.

Go Dees.

ANB, the bloke I know nothing about who seems to be getting better every game.

Someone tell me about him please.

He was the leader of the SA midfield and one of their best players in the u18s. He's not really quick, but from memory he takes the ball cleanly at a run and dishes quickly. Had a high ratio of kicks to handballs which is impressive for such an inside player and speaks well of his evasiveness. Averaged 19 disposals, 1 goal, 4 tackles and 5 clearances a game through the championships. On the downside his disposal efficiency wasn't great, so he'll need to work on that. I think 40 was about as low as anyone could see him dropping in the draft, so we did quite well getting him. Knightmare had him at 21.

Basically, we got the best mid from the championship-winning side, so we have to be happy with that. The only concern I have is that we're starting to look like a very one-paced team, especially through the middle. If you add Tyson and ANB to N. Jones, Vince, Cross and Viney, we're going to get badly shown up by the quicker midfields.

He was the leader of the SA midfield and one of their best players in the u18s. He's not really quick, but from memory he takes the ball cleanly at a run and dishes quickly. Had a high ratio of kicks to handballs which is impressive for such an inside player and speaks well of his evasiveness. Averaged 19 disposals, 1 goal, 4 tackles and 5 clearances a game through the championships. On the downside his disposal efficiency wasn't great, so he'll need to work on that. I think 40 was about as low as anyone could see him dropping in the draft, so we did quite well getting him. Knightmare had him at 21.

Basically, we got the best mid from the championship-winning side, so we have to be happy with that. The only concern I have is that we're starting to look like a very one-paced team, especially through the middle. If you add Tyson and ANB to N. Jones, Vince, Cross and Viney, we're going to get badly shown up by the quicker midfields.

This didn't prevent Sydney from winning two flags. Besides, youn can add that outside flair later, as Hawthorn showed through FA. Get your hard nosed, gut-running midfield in place first and then look for the cream. Edited by AdamFarr

Cross will be gone soon. Then I guess the question will be can you fit Jones, Vince, Viney, Tyson, Brayshaw and ANB in to one midfield but if we get to that stage I'll be pretty excited.

I think Vince plays half back, 1 plays predominantly half forward and the other 4 go through the inside midfield spots and it's not a problem. The likelihood as well is that for every 6 players from an AFL list you pick out there will be 1 injured.

We might be wise to draft more selectively for talls and speedy/skilled outside mids from now but it's a bit early to count our chickens on Tyson, Viney and Brayshaw yet alone ANB after 1 high possession VFL game!

• Like 1