Changes v Port Adelaide

gOLLy

Agree, he hasn't played for 6 weeks, wouldn't have been able to run much in that time, give him a run at Casey get him ready for Queens Birthday.

No change this week, make sure Tyson if fully fit

Casey have a bye.

It depends whether we need extra on-ballers (Viney & Tyson, assuming they're 100%) or defensive forwards.

I don't know Port's team all that well, but if they like to attack off half-back, we need good defensive forwards to shut their game down. Isn't that what we did twice last year and nearly knocked them off both times?

The dilemma is that if defensive forwards are what we need against Port, then Bail & M. Jones are our best defensive forwards because of their pace. They're nowhere near as good midfielders as Viney & Tyson, but better defensive forwards.

So it wouldn't surprise me if, for this particular game, it's no change.

• Like 1

Dawes is a joke - The stats alone say that Pederson is a long way in front.

Pedo Dawes

Disposals 52( 30k & 22hb) 49(27k & 22hb)

Marks 25 16

Contested Marks 8 3

Frees for 5 9

Frees against 3 6

Tackles 8 11

Scores 6.3 3.2

Games Played 4 5

• Like 1

IN: (Subject to fitness) Jetta, Tyson, Viney

OUT: M. Jones (conc), Bail, Newton (unlucky)

FB: Fitzpatrick, Dunn, Jetta

HB: Garland, T. McDonald, Lumumba

C: Watts, Vince, Tyson

HF: Vandenberg, Hogan, Toumpas

FF: Howe, Pedersen, Garlett

FOLL: Spencer, Cross, N. Jones

INT: Brayshaw, Grimes, Viney

SUB: Riley

EMERG: Bail, Gawn, Newton

• Like 2

Yeah....with Dawes. Different kettle of fish. He's a roll of the dice at the best of times

If any of those three players are fit, they don't need to come back through the seconds. If there is a question mark over Tyson then Riley keeps his spot. If he's deemed ready then he's in and someone makes way. I'm confused as to how that is even up for debate. Is Dom Tyson suddenly no longer best 22 because we beat the Bulldogs?

Vince too. Had a shocker in his first game back - obviously made up for it the week after, but he was clearly underdone in the GWS game.

Roos admitted that both Dawes and Vince were best 22 so had to come in. 2 blokes who played their role in a winning team lost their spots because of the changes that "needed to be made".

• Like 1

Is Tyson really ready? He's looked hobbled by that knee in recent weeks – been good on the ball, but can't get the work rate high enough when it isn't i his hands. Would like to get him to whatever his best level of fitness can be. If he isn't there this week, let him pile 40 touches on the filth. That's pretty much a three week break, or leave him till after the bye and he gets 5 weeks to get right.

• Like 2

Is Tyson really ready? He's looked hobbled by that knee in recent weeks – been good on the ball, but can't get the work rate high enough when it isn't i his hands. Would like to get him to whatever his best level of fitness can be. If he isn't there this week, let him pile 40 touches on the filth. That's pretty much a three week break, or leave him till after the bye and he gets 5 weeks to get right.

Didn't look ready on Sunday at the G...

No way in hell should Dawes come in. I know it'll be tough for him but he'll have to have another week off because our forward looks settled with Pederson playing as our other big tall. He also can pinch hit ruck and takes good grabs.

Dawes should have to work his way through Casey, which means we might not see him until QB given the bye at Casey.

Tyson, Jetta, Viney are the three that spring to mind for a return.

M Jones (inj), Bail, Grimes are the three that spring to mind for an exit. But that's a fair amount of changes following a winning week. Might just be Jetta and Viney in and give Tyson a good amount of time to recover. Jones and Bail go out for me.

Surely Jetta must be back this week, I'm glad we're being conservative with his multiple concussions but it'll be 3 weeks now?

Will be interesting this week to see whether Port swing the axe or stay loyal to squad for another week.

They have three big forwards - Ryder, Schulz and Westhoff - plus Monfries - so the fact that Fitzy is in means we don't have to make any changes down back and also means we don't have to panic that if Spencil went down, we are stuffed. Fitzy's strong game means there's no room for Gawn or Dawes this week - but they will get a game soon.

It was an extraordinary decision to select him given his poor game against Sandy and then the fact that he hurt his neck the week before and virtually didn't play, but we were well overdue some luck and the good thing is that he's fast enough to make a contest on all the big forwards when they lead.

As to inclusions, Jetta is a definite now that he has done his month off and his return will most likely mean Howe lines up forward again.

Viney also returns if he pulls up OK from training. He will play the whole game - he is a super fit bloke.

They replace Matt Jones (injured) and Bail or Riley. Bail has some chance of surviving because he is a small forward - not because he had a game worthy of retention.

Tyson may play - although it then begs the question as to whom he replaces - it would have to be Riley or Newton.

Other than that, the guys who played well in twos - Terlich, Michie, Neal-Bullen and White plus the 23rd man Stretch just have to bide their time.

Amazing what a win does to team selection.

• Like 3

Can someone please tell me why they are wanting M Jones dropped? If he has concussion, then I appreciate he will be unlikely to play, but if he's fit, he has to play based on yesterday - he slaughtered Bob Murphy.

Again, it's all going to be based on injury, but the only one that may find themselves dropped would be Bail, and it would depend on the fitness of Tyson, Viney and Jetta to determine who would replace him.

I have said I will admit to mea culpa - Jones did a great job on one of their playmakers and unless concussed, and if a suitable matchup is there should be rewarded.

Agree, he hasn't played for 6 weeks, wouldn't have been able to run much in that time, give him a run at Casey get him ready for Queens Birthday.

No change this week, make sure Tyson if fully fit

TDI made a comment in the training thread that Viney and Jetta were being pounded on the track with a view to being brought straight back in. Take it with the usual grain of whatever, but I thought it was an interesting comment.

Bloody VFL and their byes really make life difficult for AFL teams. Time to drop / amalgamate / introduce new team.

Obviously you want a bite because you cannot be serious.

Why change a team that wins by 39 points i.e. 6 goals and 3 behinds

Viney no game for weeks after a leg injury

Jetta out for three with concussion

Tyson has a knee problem that I believe requires more than one week

Dawes you mean old iron hands enough said but what makes you think he is over a calf injury that has plagued him in the past?

Dawes must have been on the verge of being dropped prior to his sore calf - Pedersen comprehensively took over his spot yesterday. A very long treck back for Chris, as he lacks the versatility of Pedersen, amongst other attributes.

Viney needs a run somewhere but it won't be at Casey this week. Sub??

Jetta if fully recovered should walk straight back in - ?Bail?

Tyson needs more than one week to recover from his knee injury. Bring him back for Pies, or after the bye.

Edited by monoccular

I was in Alice recently and the ground up there will be "firm" so I doubt we will risk anyone carrying a knee or calf. No Tyson or Dawes.

Viney might come in but it will be as a sub.

Jetta will be demanding to play and I understood that he was likely to be ok for this week.

Brayshaw was very stiff ffrom his corky last week and it would not surprise me if he is about due to be rested so he is fresh for the 3 weeks into the break.

• Like 1

I have said I will admit to mea culpa - Jones did a great job on one of their playmakers and unless concussed, and if a suitable matchup is there should be rewarded.

Bloody VFL and their byes really make life difficult for AFL teams. Time to drop / amalgamate / introduce new team.

Dawes must have been on the verge of being dropped prior to his sore calf - Pedersen comprehensively took over his spot yesterday. A very long treck back for Chris, as he lacks the versatility of Pedersen, amongst other attributes.

Viney needs a run somewhere but it won't be at Casey this week. Sub??

Jetta if fully recovered should walk straight back in - ?Bail?

Tyson needs more than one week to recover from his knee injury. Bring him back for Pies, or after the bye.

A convenient excuse I would have thought.

If he stays at Casey then it means the forward line is performing well and that's a good thing.

• Like 1

IN: Jetta, Viney

OUT: M. Jones (conc), Bail

As simple as that.

I am not a Bail fan but I reckon you are a bit tough on him.

He earn't his spot this week IMO.

Deserves another week rather than a guy who has not yet played a game after a leg injury.

If it was Gary Ablett and not Viney I might agree with you but it is Viney he is nothing wonderful yet.

• Like 1

People suggesting that Brayshaw should be rested. How is he going to get to 400 games with that attitude?

How often was KB rested at that age?

Hmmm. Is Tyson an automatic in? We need run against Port. I guess he comes back and so does Viney. Both could play as much half forward. Vanders goes to half forward I guess. Toumpas as well. Riley is a pretty one dimensional sub in a team that has plenty of inside midfield options but not a lot of outside run versatility.

FB: Jetta Fitzy!! Dunn

HB: Garland McDonald Grimes

C: Lumumba Jones Tyson

HF: Brayshaw Pedo Toumpas

FF: Garlett Hogan Watts

Foll: Spencer Viney Vince

Int: Howe vandenBerg Cross

S: Riley

E: Newton Strech Harmes

I'd say if Tyson isn't 100% then we give him another week and play Newton instead. Otherwise then yes I think Newton is the unlucky out. Same goes for Jetta or Viney.

If more than 1 of those guys aren't ok then I think next in line for selection are Stretch, Harmes and Neal-Bullen. I'd have those 3 ahead of Bail and M Jones.

Watch the replay and you won't want to drop Matt Jones

Murphy is the Dogs' top dog. Didn't do much yesterday. Who played on him?

Fitzy to do the job on Ryder?

I think that we will keep Bail in if Jones is out. Need that defensive forward role, and no-one else to play it.

Jetta would be a good in, and I agree about Viney as the sub. Psychologically this would gee him up like nothing else

Couldn't agree more.

Edited by S_T
  • Like 1

In - Jetta Tyson Viney

Out - M.Jones, Bail , ?????

Grimes tries his heart out, but his disposal lets him down

Newton is a good disposer, but he often makes stupid desisioins and doesn't attack the ball

Toumpas did some dumb things, but had a fairly good game and should stay

Riley shows real grunt and goes in hard. He has poor disposal but doesn't get opportunity

Massive fight for selection.

- Pederson has passed Dawes as the 2nd tall

- Gawn was BOG for Casey, doesn't fit in the side after Spencer playing a great game

Howe I think will stay forward with Fitzy being one of our best on the weekend down back. Howe is to dangerous in the air and has great ground level skills

really? If he needs it then sure, but...really?:

Angus Brayshaw collected 11 last-quarter disposals to help will his side to victory, showcasing the grunt and competitiveness which prompted the Dees to use last years No. 3 pick on him.

really? If he needs it then sure, but...really?:

Angus Brayshaw collected 11 last-quarter disposals to help will his side to victory, showcasing the grunt and competitiveness which prompted the Dees to use last years No. 3 pick on him.

So were drafting playing natural born competitors as opposed to those asking to be dropped. Yesterday's win was great but as I've mentioned earlier we are a still a club where it seems certain players choose which games they'd like to get up for. Every player now has his is own thread. We all witnessed the previous three weeks, so nothing's changed is the sense we are still 2 draft/trade periods away from consistently performing. If I was Roos i would be pumping up players tyres as well in order to bump up any potential trade value because I find it difficult to believe the coaching group as a whole accept the performances of certain individuals over the three weeks prior to the Bulldogs game. Edited by Al's Demons