Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Post Match Discussion - Round 8

Demonland

We are 3/3 from our genuinely winnable games this year (3/4 if you want to count GWS). I think most of us had a sense of dread when Picken kicked that goal in the last quarter but I think we are finally learning how to win. It's something that haunted us a bit last year, the Doggies got us twice in similar circumstances!

Did Dunn shag your missus?

He wishes...

I know I have focused on him a lot over the years, but I was there with everyone else giving him all the credit in the world for how he played last year. He was crucial to us last year - I guess then it's a positive that we're 3-5 and Dunn's yet to hit anywhere near his best form. I really don't like the pointing though.

I'm actually happy he took that shot. He used to eat them up in the SANFL and there was one great one in their GF win that inspired his team.

Yes there were better options but finally he started to show some real confidence in his ability and kick through the ball rather than chip, chip.

Agree - although he probably should have centred it, the fact that he thought at that point that he could do it himself showed me he has a level of confidence he's never had at this level before. Despite being an error, it was quite an exciting one!

• Like 1

With Jetta and Viney set to come in for obviously Bail and Jones.

Who goes out for Tyson?

Saw Tyson at the game and he had a bit of a limp walking to get his coffee. He matches up well against Boak and would love to see him there next week but he might miss a few.

Not hot in Alice springs this time of the year HL

6 to 24 today and forecast for next Saturday 9 to 25.

That's pretty warm coming from Melbourne winter.

A running side will be the order of the day.

But the forward line we played today was a running one and Fitzy/Dunn/Garland/McDonald is not too tall down back if it's the right mix for the match ups.

Did Dunn shag your missus?

Dunn was ordinary.

Edit. That said, just noticed on the replay he was playing Crameri, so maybe he was alright. :P I'd just prefer him to take the game on more.

Edited by AdamFarr

saw it live n just watched replay. Perfect hip n shoulder, probably right on 5 metres from the ball, so it was fair. But yes, it was brutal!

You need to acquaint yourself with modern AFL if you think that was fair.

Within the distance so fine to bump. Bumping is pretty much always allowed.

But jumping off the ground and putting your shoulder in to their head is not allowed. Particularly when they aren't looking and more so if it leaves a player concussed. He's in trouble. Injured anyway but looking at 2 or more out suspended.

Jeffy Garlett might be in trouble as well for crudely taking Boyd high but I'm hoping it's not worth more than a fine.

Dunn was ordinary.

Agree. Making ordinary decisions trying to be the defensive general when he's playing with some pretty senior players. Needs to focus on winning his match up.

Mainly he needs to focus on winning the footy.

Dropping back to the last line looks great when it works, but there's no position of goal keeper in the AFL. If he wins the ball or supports his team mate who has the ball then he'll get back in form.

But jumping off the ground and putting your shoulder in to their head is not allowed. Particularly when they aren't looking and more so if it leaves a player concussed. He's in trouble. Injured anyway but looking at 2 or more out suspended.

Jeffy Garlett might be in trouble as well for crudely taking Boyd high but I'm hoping it's not worth more than a fine.

Colin Sylvia says hello. I don't think cheap shots to the head of Demon players count with the MRP.

Have another look it was the three mids trailing that he was shaking his head at ya peanuts

It was soft as hell. He was leading to the ball and managed to fall over from light contact and wind up not contesting at all. As I said, it wasn't the way he played the rest of the game, but that bit was painful.

Anyone quietly loving the work of Ben Newton? Doesn't get much of write up but he is averaging about 17 disposals a game and is showing that he could become a goal kicking midfielder. Has a very neat left foot and adds a bit of class outside I reckon.

I hate to say it, but the thing I noticed most about Newton's game was him burning Lamumba, getting tackled and costing us a goal.

How many weeks will Goodes get for his hit on M. Jones?

Looked head high, Goodes jumped off the ground to bump, and Jones was subbed out with concussion.

Wasn't even reported, but he should go for 2-3.

• Like 1

What a difference not having to play Hawks, Sydney or Freo makes.

Great game. Great 4 quarter effort.

Watching the replay and they keep calling Fitzy Fitzgerald. Cringeworthy.

I hope playing the Hawks, Swans and Freo in succession was a valuable lesson.

• Like 2

If you choose to bump, the onus is on you to not make contact with the head.

He definitely chose to bump (i.e. he had other options, he didn't need to lay the bump at all given how far away Jones was from the ball). Once he made that call, it was his job to not hit Jones high. He failed.

That's the kind of bump that deserves a suspension. Not the kind where a player is trying to pick the ball up, or doesn't have any other reasonable option, or where the receiving player ducks his head into a tackle. He jumped, he hit him high, that's 3 weeks IMO.

• Like 3

A number of tackles didn't stick today. I believe we beat that tackle count against Adelaide and Richmond. So it is very achievable.

So you reckon, 100 tackles on a weekly basis is achievable?

The highest average in all rounds so far is 76.5 by the Bulldogs

We are second with 74.1

Fremantle are second last with 54.9

The median for all teams over the 8 rounds is 65.3

On what basis do you calculate that 100 tackles, week in week out is achievable? Or even desirable?

• Like 5

Couldn't get to the game but watched the TV

Wo played on (as much as anyone. Does play on anyone these days) and switched up the overpaid overhyped forward who wore that red vest though the second half. Was it Fitz? Great scalp whoever.

• Like 3

Couldn't get to the game but watched the TV

Wo played on (as much as anyone. Does play on anyone these days) and switched up the overpaid overhyped forward who wore that red vest though the second half. Was it Fitz? Great scalp whoever.

Yep, it was Fitz.

If you choose to bump, the onus is on you to not make contact with the head.

He definitely chose to bump (i.e. he had other options, he didn't need to lay the bump at all given how far away Jones was from the ball). Once he made that call, it was his job to not hit Jones high. He failed.

That's the kind of bump that deserves a suspension. Not the kind where a player is trying to pick the ball up, or doesn't have any other reasonable option, or where the receiving player ducks his head into a tackle. He jumped, he hit him high, that's 3 weeks IMO.

100% correct. Jones was open and unaware.

Coward bump. Soft.

Same sort of bump that pretty much ended Kotschike's career....ironically at the hands of Gia.

On the AFL highlights i just watched Leigh Matthews, honest to god, called it good clean play. Well perhaps that was his problem as a player - he thought ironing out unsuspecting players was good clean play.

Crazy actually coz he says that it is fine when a player knows he is going to get hit from a sheppard, implying Jones is. He was saying this whilst the slow mo clearly showed Jones had stopped chasing and clearly was not expecting to get hit as evidenced by the fact he didn't brace for conatct at all (which obviously he would have had he expected contacted). Strange.

I pretty much agree with Matthews. If you are trying to run down an opposition player you should expect his team mates to try to protect him. I have 2 possible issues - was it within the distance limits (probably) and did Goodes get Jones high - seen the replay & it's hard to tell from footage

Jones was Kosi like in his lack of awareness & preparedness

• Like 1

A few players each delivered a clean double on what 'popular expectations' of them were.

Jake Spencer, a nice bundle of disposals including some kicks, 8 tackles, and 40 hit-outs. Who did the what the hey huh?!

Jimmy Toumpas, well, well. There's life in the old horse yet.

Jack Grimes, plenty of contested possessions, some tackles, 1%ers, and a nice haul of rebound 50s at a good disposal efficiency. Jolly good show.

Jack Fitzpatrick. Well, I'll be.

Overall it was a pretty good day for people whose name started with J.

Several others were up on recent form.

Vandenberg, despite not being someone you;d say had been a problem before, sure was part of the solution today.

Bernie Vince got it like nobody was on him, but was actually playing a lock-down game of his own.

Jeremy Howe was actually dangerous rather than plodding. Numbers not that much higher than recent, but presence much greater.

Nathan Jones hasn't been bad, but it was good to see him right back into it at a level that he hadn't reached so much this season.

I'm just really pleased. Really pleased. It's like going to a kids school recital and expecting it to be a disaster, but everything goes better than expected and all the kids go home feeling special.

• Like 2

Hogan simply has to get a rising star nomination now! If he doesn't lets let the fools at the AFL know about it!

Wont be that cut and dried this week with

Cam Mcarthy

Liam Duggan and our own

Angus Brayshaw

all staking claims for this weeks nomination

Not many have mentioned Bernie Vince. Pantsed Bonts who has been on fire this year, held him to 12 average disposals and kicked 2 great goals himself in the last with a lazy 11 possessions for the qtr , 26 for the match. Awesome effort.

On a side note, wed have to be the loudest 30000 crowd in the comp...great stuff today.

• Like 3

By the way...I'm still loving Crossy. He's been very consistent this year.

Those pushing his demise are a way off the mark at the moment. There might be another year in him yet.

Daniel Cross is a surprisingly great contested mark for his size. Courageous and uses his body well to drop back and take lots of crucial intercept marks.

• Like 3

Wont be that cut and dried this week with

Cam Mcarthy

Liam Duggan and our own

Angus Brayshaw

all staking claims for this weeks nomination

Probably won't be 'Pennant' but if they lined up all the prospective rising stars against the wall to select a team who do you reckon would be first picked? not a leading question but I would think Hogan by a fair way.

Jeez it takes a long time to read through to here after a win like that!

So. It turns out the cheap red works nicely in ALL circumstances. And NOW I'm onto the single malt.

Haven't seen any vision yet - first missed 'G game for the year (forced) - but by all accounts I'm so pleased for the boys, particularly the maligned ones.