Casey Scorpions v Richmond

KC from Casey

Michie had 25 disposals Mckenzie 23 White 21 and Gawn 20

From the outside looking in, Michie getting dropped again makes absolutely no sense. He needs a run of 5 or 6 games. Give him a chance ffs.

Gawn 20 disposals and 3 goals? Yes please, more of that thanks Maxy.

• Like 8

Kingy seems to be blossoming nicely at this stage. Wonder if he'll get a renewal at the end of the year.

He must do surely.

King is still only 19, and it seems the club are not trying to hurry his development, but given our numerous NQR rucks the prospect of him becoming a genuine forward/ruckman is pretty heartening.

I would hope, given his age (or, rather, youth) he will be given more time.

One very negative poster last week criticized him for only doing well in the VFL 2s - but he is very young, and can only play where he is selected.

• Like 1

From the outside looking in, Michie getting dropped again makes absolutely no sense. He needs a run of 5 or 6 games. Give him a chance ffs.

I reckon they've already made a call on Michie. Slow, doesn't run the other away. Not great inside. Average skills at best and no hurt factor. I wouldn't expect to see a lot of him this year.

• Like 1

Gawny playing like he should every week! 20 disposals is more than most of our midfield gets in the ones lol. Ps ceglar beat pike by using his height. If we play Sydney again if copy and bring Gawn in to play on him.

Consistency from white, NB, Gawn is the key going forward. Like the idea of them all but let's see how they go over the next few weeks!

Go dees!

• Like 1

Neal-Bullen is the sort of kid who could play straight away. He's physically more advanced than his mate, Billy. He won't set the world on fire but he'll pay his way. A 150 gamer assured.

Haven't seen him play but I have heard this way too many times about our players. Let's wait until he plays 50 or maybe even 1 game before we say a player is assured x amount of games.

OMG - so bloody negative, Deefiant. He can only play where he is selected - can't prove himself as an AFL player when playing VFL. Why not say he is doing as well as (or better than) expected at the level at which he is selected? It is his first year FFS. Edited by monoccular

One very negative poster last week criticized him for only doing well in the VFL 2s - but he is very young, and can only play where he is selected.

No one criticised him last week, more so the people raving about him dominating the development league, I'm astonished that a player on an AFL list, apart from Maia Westrupp, is even playing in that league...seriously!
  • Like 1

No one criticised him last week, more so the people raving about him dominating the development league, I'm astonished that a player on an AFL list, apart from Maia Westrupp, is even playing in that league...seriously!

Some good footballers have played VFL 2's.

The club are doing the right thing by Casey by not loading up the forward line with Gawn, King, Jamar etc.

King constantly comes last in our running. He's a very very raw athlete. But he's also right up there with the best kicks I've ever seen for a 200cm + guy and can take a grab.

No point being too excited about his Development League form but no reason to be negative either. There's no hurry with him. We can afford 1 rookie spot on a project player. I think he's worth keeping for next year and that will be the year where he has to play VFL seniors and perform.

• Like 7

King is showing some good signs but there aren't too many skinny players with no tank in the AFL. He has an incredible amount of improvement to do before he reaches the minimum standard for AFL.

Went along tonight and boy was it cold! Very enjoyable though, a good win for the Scorps considering they only had nine Melbourne players out there in very greasy conditions. Crowd was a bit better then their last few games also, maybe they should try and play a few more night matches?

Anyway, here's my brief overview:

Max Gawn: Best game I've seen him play for awhile. Had to play mainly ruck after Jamar went off early in the second term, and I think that actually helped Gawn as he's a ruckman who can rest forward, not a forward who can ruck. Took several strong marks in conditions that didn't suit and kicked three goals when drifting forward to create an option. His tap work was pretty good also, putting the ball down Neal-Bullen, Michie & Harmes throats and he had the better of Hampson. Assuming Spencer has a similar game tomorrow to his last two, then Gawn surely has to come in.

Jordie McKenzie: Always tries hard and gives it his all, but he did a couple of classic McKenzie turnovers that resulted in goals or shots on goal for Richmond. Gets plenty of the ball at VFL level, but he's not damaging at all. Said it before, but I would be suprised to see him at AFL level again.

Viv Michie: Was busy and got plenty of the ball and ran all night. Another poster mentioned earlier that he doesn't hurt the opposition, and that's probably a fair comment. Would like to see him kick more goals from the midfield seeing as his defensive side isn't top notch, you at least want him to be able to score the other way. Haven't given up hope on him, as he can find the footy. Just needs to work out how to bring his game to the next level.

Oscar McDonald: Did well tonight I thought Oscar, was tight defensively and he used the ball reasonably well on the few occasions he got it. Is still getting used to the pace of VFL footy, got caught late in the game trying to take an opponent on, but he defended well I thought and also took a few nice marks in the defensive 50. Won't be ready for AFL this year, but there's enought there to work with.

Alex Neal-Bullen: Very good first half where he got plenty of it and he covers the ground better then I realised he does. Second half didn't get it as much, but he still linked up well and he can get the ball on the inside and the out. Think he'll play this year. Just a matter of when.

Mark Jamar: Injured early in the second term. From where I was it looked like he copped a knock to the head in a tackle, got up very groggy and went off not long after that. He and Gawn were tag teaming from deep forward to ruck, and Russian was struggling to have much of an impact up to that point.

Mitch White: Really like the look of this kid. Beautiful left foot, strong over head and runs well also. We could have something on our hands. Not saying he's going to be a gun, but could turn into a very handy half back/wing in the Josh Hunt type mould. He's one to keep an eye on. Got plenty of the ball and kicked what I think was his first goal in VFL footy tonight.

James Harmes: This is a kid that excites me. I'd like to see him get the ball a bit more, but he's one of those players that whenever he does get it, something seems to happen. He was very good in the final term, especially early in that term after Richmonf got to within 10 points. Won the ball a few times on the outer wing and was able to get the ball inside 50 showing some real pace. Also nearly took an absolute screamer late in the game on the same wing. He probably only had it 15-20 times, but he's got something about him.

Dean Terlich: Started really badly and was caught out defensively a few times, but from about half way through the third term, I thought he lifted. Took a few important intercept marks and didn't have any clangers that I remember from that point onwards which is probably part of the reason why the Scorps were able to run away with it as comfortably as they did.

So yes, all things considereed, it was a very good win by Casey and a good night for footy out in Casey and good to see a few more people at the ground. Also good to see so many people from the club there. McCartney, Rawlings, Mahoney & Tom McDonald just to name a few that weren't there as part of the Casey coaching panel, more so just to observe.

Anyway hope tonight is a sign of things to come tomorrow.

• Like 33

Gawn: Best game I've seen him play for awhile. Had to play mainly ruck after Jamar went off early in the 2nd term, and I think that actually helped Gawn as he's a ruckman who can rest forward, not a forward who can ruck. Took several strong marks in conditions that didn't suit and kicked three goals when drifting forward to create an option. His tap work was pretty good also, putting the ball down Neal-Bullen, Michie & Harmes throats and he had the better of Hampson. Assuming Spenver has a similar game tomorrow to his last two, then Gawn surely has to come in.

I believe Max's development has been severely hampered by being played as a forward and not more in the ruck. He must be the no.1 man at Casey and push up for the AFL spot.

As you say he is a ruck/forward not a forward/ruck...

• Like 3

Some good footballers have played VFL 2's.

The club are doing the right thing by Casey by not loading up the forward line with Gawn, King, Jamar etc.

King constantly comes last in our running. He's a very very raw athlete. But he's also right up there with the best kicks I've ever seen for a 200cm + guy and can take a grab.

No point being too excited about his Development League form but no reason to be negative either. There's no hurry with him. We can afford 1 rookie spot on a project player. I think he's worth keeping for next year and that will be the year where he has to play VFL seniors and perform.

I'm patient with such kids

• Like 1

I believe Max's development has been severely hampered by being played as a forward and not more in the ruck. He must be the no.1 man at Casey and push up for the AFL spot.

As you say he is a ruck/forward not a forward/ruck...

You said it rjay.

I can see why they've tried to get him to play this role. Sure it'd be great if we can have a 208cm ruckman who's also capable of playing forward. And given Spencer & Jamar aren't much use forward, it works for Casey better if Max is up there. But given Gawn's the one with the most upside & natural ability, we really should be trying to fast track his ruck work as quickly as possible. And the best way to do that is you guessed it..... In the ruck.

In all honesty, I hope for the rest of the year we see Gawn playing ruck at Melbourne with one of Jamar or Spence rucking for Casey. Get King to play the forward/ruck role with Casey and the one of Jamar/Spencer that misses out with the Scorps can play development league.

• Like 3

This. Without injury, I can't see how you give him a game in the ones. You've got to drop Jamar or Gawn don't you?

Guys like Grimes, M. Jones, Spencer and Bail get promoted and suddenly Casey are a better side... coincidence? I think not.

Didn't the Scorps lose last week with them out?

Watts so bad about these NQRs anyway? Other clubs would be licking their chops at the prospect of any of these up and coming stars in their line up!

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

Also good to see so many people from the club there. McCartney, Rawlings, Mahoney & Tom McDonald just to name a few that weren't there as part of the Casey coaching panel, more so just to observe.

Roosy was too busy again I suppose

I clicked on 'like this' and up comes 'unlike'. I change back to 'like this' and my name disappears. Looks like I can't like this post. Regarding Michie, I agree, he must be given the opportunity to string a few games together without the added pressure that he could be dropped after one game.

• Like 1

SCORPIONS FREEZE OUT TIGERS by KC from Casey

The Casey Scorpions reignited their finals hopes after suffering two disappointing defeats on the trot with a comfortable win over Richmond under lights at Casey Fields last night.

Melbourne's outer south east can be inhospitable territory to visitors at the best of times but when it's freezing cold and only a couple of weeks away from the onset of winter, it can be downright unfriendly. The Scorpions gave their opponents no quarter as they led for most of the night before turning on the afterburners with a stunning seven goal final quarter.

What made the victory even more meritorious was the fact that the Scorpions were down to a year's low of 9 AFL listed players and they lost ruckman Mark Jamar to a knock in the second quarter. Last year, that scenario would have been a complete disaster but thanks to some astute recruiting and the development of some of the younger Casey listed players, the Scorpions stood up to the Tigers and were not intimidated by their greater experience. Only four of the team's goals were kicked by Demons and three of those were booted by Big Max Gawn who stepped up to fill the rucking duties with Jamar's injury. Gawn's proficiency in the ruck duels constantly gave his onballers first use of the ball from the stoppages.

Tim Smith kicked the opening goal after a fluid passage of play and after an even quarter, second gamer Jordan Moncrieff goalled after the siren to give the home team a seven point lead at the first break.

Mitch White made that 13 points when he scored early but the Tigers regrouped for two goals and the game was an arm wrestle for a while until three consecutive majors for the Scorps gave them a handy 18 point break at half time.

The game became a slog after the main break with plenty of mistakes and skill errors and there was still plenty left in the game at three quarter time with the Scorps leading by only 14 points. An early goal to the Tigers breathed an air of tension into the game but it was short lived. With another second gamer Bayley Fritsch getting in the goals and the tireless Gawn chiming in for some late ones, Casey romped home to win by 44 points and earn the rest which comes with next week's bye. From a Demon's viewpoint the club would be happy with the continuing development of youngsters Alex Neal-Bullen who was strong at the clearances, Mitch White whose disposal by foot was superb and Oscar McDonald who worked hard all night. Viv Michie and Dean Terlich were also good while Jordie McKenzie was strong in the contests.

Casey would also be delighted with the way its VFL list is developing.

2015 Peter Jackson VFL

Casey Scorpions 3.4.22 7.6.48 8.9.57 15.13.103

Richmond Tigers 2.13.15 4.6.30 6.7.43 8.11.59

Goals

Casey Scorpions Fritsch Gawn 3 Moncrieff Smith 2 Morris Muir Petropoulos Rutherford White

Richmond Tigers Aarts Short 2 Cachia Gordon Lennon McBean

Best

Casey Scorpions Gawn Michie Terlich Neal-Bullen White Hutchins

Richmond Tigers Cachia Thomas Dea Castagna Lennon Hampson

Statistics

Max Gawn 3 goals 1 behind 21 disposals 15 kicks 6 handballs 9 marks 4 tackles 34 hit outs 152 dream team points

James Harmes 2 behinds disposals 10 kicks 4 handballs 1 mark 5 tackles 1 hit out 61 dream team points

Mark Jamar 1 behind 3 disposals 3 kicks 3 marks 3 hit outs 14dream team points [injured]

Oscar McDonald 9 disposals 6 kicks 3 handballs 6 marks 1 tackle 43 dream team points

Jordie McKenzie 23 disposals 10 kicks 13 handballs 5 marks 10 tackles 96 dream team points

Viv Michie 25 disposals 19 kicks 6 handballs 4 marks 10 tackles 110 dream team points

Alex Neal-Bullen 22 disposals 16 kicks 6 handballs 2 marks 3 tackles 1 hit out 79 dream team points

Dean Terlich 16 disposals 14 kicks 2 handballs 8 marks 4 tackles 86 dream team points

Mitch White 1 goal 19 disposals 15 kicks 4 handballs 8 marks 5 tackles 100 dream team points

In the development league game played earlier in the day, Casey dominated proceedings and recorded another big victory. Again it was the recruits who stood out with Declan Keilty, Paul Pattison and Lucas Walmsley standing out. Joe Fisscher who was impressive when he gained senior promotion late last year booted four goals on return from injury. Tom Wyatt also booted four and Max King manager two in the goal fest.

2015 AFL Victoria Development League

Casey Scorpions 6.2.38 10.6.66 16.9.105 18.11.119

Northern Blues 1.2.8 2.5.17 3.5.23 5.7.37

Goals

Casey Scorpions Fisscher Wyatt 4 King Rennie Waters 2 Anderson Hannon Hillard Lang

Northern Blues Walton 3 Murray Stevens

Best

Casey Scorpions Keilty Pattison K Wilson Wyatt J McDonald Walmsley

Northern Blues Soncin Johnston Cattapan Stevens Gleeson

• Like 1

Agree that it would be nice to see Michie string together a few more senior games but Riley has earned his call-up. We need more inside toughness in our midfield with Viney out. Hopefully Michie's stint in the VFL helps him to launch back into the seniors.

I'm not sure as to whether it was such a good idea for Billy Stretch to be made the emergency for today's game because if he doesn't get a run, he could also miss out next week (Casey has a bye). Given that he was the sub, the week before, he's not getting much footy in lately.

Also, with that bye, it probably explains why Nev Jetta and Jack Viney have been pushed hard at training - they might be called straight into the AFL without much match practice.

• Like 1