THE SAGA CONTINUES - WADA APPEALS

2 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Do they really think that CAS will be swayed by this sort of stuff?

The mind boggles.

I think Cards meant that the EFC were trying trying get as much positive news as possible out to their fans before the axe falls. That was my impression.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, old dee said:

I think Cards meant that the EFC were trying trying get as much positive news as possible out to their fans before the axe falls. That was my impression.

Thats my point OD.

Why would it matter, when they are about to get smashed anyway? Are they worried that the players wont send them a xmas card?

11 minutes ago, old dee said:

The spin doctors and marketing teams earning $$ this week. Must be a big push for members $$$$ coming.

• Like 1

Well, I'm still expecting any sort of outcome but if they are found guilty (comfortably satisfied guilt) then I hope they receive hefty penalties - I see that sort of outcome to be an excellent one for Australian sport.

The scourge of PED use in world sport is out of control in my opinion and I believe we as a country can lead the way in the fight against PED use ... if it happens, a guilty verdict with hefty penalties can serve as a huge wake up call for all concerned.

I doubt it will happen but I'd like to see weekly or fortnightly blood tests for all Australian athletes in all sports going forward - ramp things up to drive out PED use. That sort of thing happens for Olympic athletes (in this country) so it's do-able ... there's enough money in the sports to make it happen too.

Otherwise, the problem will only get worse ... for years we've been reminded that we don't want to see sport become a battle of the chemists and in some sports around the world that's already happening. We saw it in cycling and the residual effects from that out of control situation still lingers strongly - same for the Olympics to a certain degree.

And what about all those baseball records driven by steroid use? A stain has been put on that sport which won't go away easily. There are a number of sports that fly under the radar because of soft or negligible agreements with WADA - or in fact, non-agreements with WADA.

To give up the fight is weak and I hope lessons are learned and then acted upon.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cards13 said:

Gee wiz the result must be coming out soon, it has been a media blitz by the fl gs today. They had the Ess high performance fella in the radio just before as well.

Of course, it is near Christmas and New Year. The weather is hot and there  is a lot of shopping and  partying going on. 

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, faultydet said:

Thats my point OD.

Why would it matter, when they are about to get smashed anyway? Are they worried that the players wont send them a xmas card?

Because.....

Where has reason or rationale ever entered this discussion with regards to Essendon supporters !

Is Windy Hill the birthplace of Football's Ashes Urn Legend and will it be this week. Will someone step up to the plate after the decision

The atmosphere is electric

Little leaving it to tarnish Tanner (a little plagiarism there) how melodramatic.

Which Paper will print it. AHH the baited breath.....

Actually, the people I feel for are the Essendon supporters - they're feeling the brunt yet these "acts" have nothing whatsoever to do with them. Of course, a fair percentage of their fans are going to be delusional because that's how fans act.

However, if their players cop hefty penalties it's their fans who will feel it the most. The perpetrators and participants can in a lot of ways just walk away. It's like anyone who is actually involved at a club - they may or may not be emotionally involved so when their tenure is up ... it's bye bye. 

Macca...nearly EVERY bomber supporter to a one can't see what they have done wrong. They all feel persecuted. 

Quite frankly fcukthem all !!

Really...they're all(nearly) delusional

Edited by beelzebub
  • Like 1

Has anyone actually bothered to ask Ess supporters what they think.

Has any Media gone out to them and asked things like "what do you think of your club and its actions and its coach"

Will it be done after the decision. I wonder.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, biggestred said:

We arent barracking for a rivals demise.

We are barracking for appropriate penalties for what is clearly a blatant breach of the drug code, followed by every trick in the book being used to get out of it.

Yep, that's what I'm barracking for.

2 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Macca...nearly EVERY bomber supporter to a one can't see what they have done wrong. They all feel persecuted. 

Quite frankly fcukthem all !!

Really...they're all(nearly) delusional

Well, in my case I see the delusion in some and in others, I haven't seen it. Most Essendon fans I know have gone very quiet - there's the "tell"

But again, why would we believe they would see things clearly? It's just fandom stuff that is just part of sport ... all of us are capable of going into denial or shifting the blame. 

Again, it has nothing to do with their fans anyway - their supporters were powerless to stop the whole thing when it started (like most others, they didn't even know about it) and they're again powerless with regards to whatever outcome might be reached.

Collateral damage on a large scale is how I see it. I can understand your angst & frustration with their supporters BB but I got what I expected to a large degree. Even those in the media - Essendon supporters or not. The brand has been protected from the word go.

I know quite a few who dislike everything about Essendon who have also taken their side during this whole saga - their love of the sport wins out. That surprised me a bit early doors but I can now see the reasoning behind that attitude too.

Edited by Macca

11 minutes ago, willmoy said:

Has anyone actually bothered to ask Ess supporters what they think.

Has any Media gone out to them and asked things like "what do you think of your club and its actions and its coach"

Will it be done after the decision. I wonder.

Yes, Robbo, Warner, old Roh C in today's paper. They tell us, don't they?

• Like 3

On 7 December 2015 at 9:08 PM, faultydet said:

Quotes aren't working again. Macca in response to your post above. You say you know people who take Essendons side because of their love of the sport, I find that amusing as that is my motivation for wanting the sport to be clean and for there to be no way for the sport to be seen as dirty or hiding from their responsibilities. 

I know that is a pipe dream of mine but I can't understand wanting the sport to do long term damage to its brand of you love that sport. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Quotes aren't working again. Macca in response to your post above. You say you know people who take Essendons side because of their love of the sport, I find that amusing as that is my motivation for wanting the sport to be clean and for there to be no way for the sport to be seen as dirty or hiding from their responsibilities. 

I know that is a pipe dream of mine but I can't understand wanting the sport to do long term damage to its brand of you love that sport. 

Well, that's my assumption because I can't think of another rational reason ... we're talking about people who ordinarily would want Essendon and their players to be found guilty yet they keep coming up with reasons not to find them guilty. A lot of people love their footy Chris.

I'm with you though - the greater good is at stake here.

The other 'not talked' about story is how Dank, Charter & Robinson were all involved in some way at Geelong during their great run. It's hardly ever mentioned in fact. Dank was "apparently" only used as a consultant but that may or may not be relevant when considering the revelations at Essendon.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

Essendon and rational simply don't exist in the same time continuing.

1 hour ago, Macca said:

Well, that's my assumption because I can't think of another rational reason ... we're talking about people who ordinarily would want Essendon and their players to be found guilty yet they keep coming up with reasons not to find them guilty. A lot of people love their footy Chris.

I'm with you though - the greater good is at stake here.

The other 'not talked' about story is how Dank, Charters & Robinson were all involved in some way at Geelong during their great run. It's hardly ever mentioned in fact. Dank was "apparently" only used as a consultant but that may or may not be relevant when considering the revelations at Essendon.

Come on 'Macca' the AFL oxymoron department gave this the all clear, it's gotta be alright.

Just now, rjay said:

Come on 'Macca' the AFL oxymoron department gave this the all clear, it's gotta be alright.

I am quite surprised at how so few have even wanted to talk about it ... it jumps out at me but again, I can now understand those just not wanting to know. How would we feel about the sport if we knew that a multiple premiership winner had some "help"?

I prefer to get these things out in the open even if it's just to clear the air. I see your point about the AFL but it's the general public which is turning the blind eye. We don't ask enough questions.

And the investigative journalistic skills with regards to sport in this country is virtually non existent. At least, that's how I see it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Macca said:

I am quite surprised at how so few have even wanted to talk about it ... it jumps out at me but again, I can now understand those just not wanting to know. How would we feel about the sport if we knew that a multiple premiership winner had some "help"?

I prefer to get these things out in the open even if it's just to clear the air. I see your point about the AFL but it's the general public which is turning the blind eye. We don't ask enough questions.

And the investigative journalistic skills with regards to sport in this country is virtually non existent. At least, that's how I see it.

Unfortunately it's the story of the hand that feeds them 'Macca'...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Macca said:

The other 'not talked' about story is how Dank, Charters & Robinson were all involved in some way at Geelong ...

Given that Robinson hasn't been penalised or charged so far, hard to see how he would get dragged over the coals for what happened beforehand.

For me, he's the one great enigma in all this. Hird may/may not have known the details (we can agree to disagree), but surely Robinson must have known exactly what was in those syringes.

2 minutes ago, bing181 said:

Given that Robinson hasn't been penalised or charged so far, hard to see how he would get dragged over the coals for what happened beforehand.

For me, he's the one great enigma in all this. Hird may/may not have known the details (we can agree to disagree), but surely Robinson must have known exactly what was in those syringes.

Sure he did

that's why he was paid off to stay quiet

he broke the story but went no further

and the AFL said nothing....

7 hours ago, bing181 said:

"The Weapon" certainly should know (or should have known) ... it's my belief that many knew, including the players. The naïve card that was played is just plain rubbish.

But this is where our media fails us ... I often believe that not only is our sporting media incompetent, but that they also simply don't care. Most of our sporting media remind me of "supporters" - that's how they write.

My gut feeling says that it all just didn't start at Essendon ... it's long been my belief that PED use has been in our sport for quite some time. More so individuals but who's to say a number couldn't have been at the same club?

I don't expect anything to come of it though - no one is going to talk even if they were motivated to talk. Even with the Bombers I reckon they'll be found guilty but the penalties won't be harsh. I believe the penalties should be harsh if they're guilty but I'm looking at this from a practical viewpoint.

You may be right with your lengthy bans evaluation though - we'll find out soon enough.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Have the new tram drivers decided on a different route.....or still continuing the journey with the same ol' clapped out jargon.

Have they come out and denounced what took place ? I don't see it. I do see different faces plying the "party" line. Ding ding....all aboard to WindyHill.

The day someone in charge at Essendon comes out with " we really did a bad thing and we must bear the consequences ,learn and move on" is when I'll believe something has changed.

BB, they have - his name was David Evans, and he not only got rolled by Hird, but had a breakdown as a result. He still is the only honest one amongst the whole sorry and unprincipled bunch. 

• Like 3