Casey Scorpions v Sandringham

Very pleased to hear that ANB shown glimpses. I suspect he will be a good player, I've only ever seen his highlights reel.
I thought he was Luke Parker like in the very little of the highlights that I have seen, so it is good to hear he is showing something.

Some recruiters rated him a first round prospect. I will be honest, I don't really pay much attention to the others in Casey - other than Oscar Mc/ANB.

Excluding Viv Michie, I've seen enough of the others to know that they aren't much chop. Matt Jones, Bail, Grimes, McKenzie and Gawn, simply aren't up to AFL standard.

We need to be realistic about some of these guys. They serve their purpose playing VFL, we still need a reasonable VFL side, it is good for the kids coming through.

• Like 1

Meaningless stats by the senior players. So many dumb decisions by them (Fitzpatrick the worst offender). Gawn, ANB and Harmes have some future at AFL level. Too early to call on O. Mac and White. Cull the rest.

All were rubbish

My interest was in who we might poach fron the aints

SO White is showing a bit which is nice for someone coming from so far back.

ANB will be a player, also very nice to see.

Sounds like Jamar was having a wonderful sulk.

King had a pretty decent game forward for the Dev League.

Everyone else was varying degrees of average/poor with dodgy disposal.

That about sum the day up?

• Like 1

Gawn: for someone so tall he struggles to take a mark. At times he had much smaller opponents yet still could pull them down. Didn't impress me and was sloppy with his ball use.

Took some excellent contested marks, apart from one terrible turnover he was one of our better players

• Like 1

All were rubbish

My interest was in who we might poach fron the aints

Maybe we won't pinch anybody from the Saints after their from behind win against the in-form Bulldogs!

As much as Toumpus shits me.. He derserved a couple more games to see if can cut it..

I would drop JKH for Matt Jones.. JKH has been ordinary for a while now.. I know Jones is much maligned but he'll give us some more run and carry and has good pace..

I'd also be tempted to squeeze riley in.. We need to win more stoppages..

A terrible game in terrible conditions. Not good conditions to rate talls in.

When was the last time Casey won a televised game?

ANB will be a good player. Oscar just needs some size over that good frame. He reads the ball well in the air.

Unfortunately for Riley, an animal in the pack does not a good footballer make. Attitude is a great attribute but it's not enough. It's sad that some of the boys at senior level can't borrow it. Also sad that Jamar's was so poor, given that his replacement was so bad.

White just needs a lot more game time.

The nqrs remain nqr.

Edited by angrydee

Can I ask what anyone has seen in Fitzpatrick? His reading of the ball in flight is average, skills are ordinary, his chase down on Saad was embarrassing. I will be shocked if he got another contract, but how has he lasted so long? Please get another Oscar McDonald to develop and chop this bloke. Some decisions we still made in more recent years baffle me.

Edited by Bay Riffin

As much as Toumpus shits me.. He derserved a couple more games to see if can cut it..

I would drop JKH for Matt Jones.. JKH has been ordinary for a while now.. I know Jones is much maligned but he'll give us some more run and carry and has good pace..

I'd also be tempted to squeeze riley in.. We need to win more stoppages..

The Hawks score around 60% of their goals from turnovers. Matt Jones would give them a win single handedly.

Can I ask what anyone has seen in Fitzpatrick? His reading of the ball in flight is average, skills are ordinary, his chase down on Saad was embarrassing. I will be shocked if he got another contract, but how has he lasted so long? Please get another Oscar McDonald to develop and chop this bloke. Some decisions we still made in more recent years baffle me.

Good observation. Some people are obsessed with his height and so called athleticism. I laughed when someone on here made reference to Dustin Fletcher as a comparison. He would have the lowest football IQ at the club. When we are screaming out for ruckmen, he been shunted down to the backline. Says alot about what the FD thinks about his rucking ability.

You don't think he's athletic? Or tall? Or athletic for his height?

List the players in the AFL who are 200+cm and more athletic than him.

No, I'm saying that his height and athleticism doesn't translate into being an AFL standard player because he has no intellect for the game. I've watched the last 3 Casey games, and the number of times he misread the flight of the ball is below D Grade Amateurs level. If he played as a backman at AFL level, he'd get slaughtered. Someone of his height and athleticism should be capable of being a good VFL ruckman. We are crying out for ruckmen, and yet the FD have moved him into the backline, which is an area that we're well stocked.

He's a poor man's Jesse White.

The Hawks score around 60% of their goals from turnovers. Matt Jones would give them a win single handedly.

At least he would get the footy. We've got a few who can't get a touch, if Jones is playing well he deserves a game.

SCORPIONS DISAPPOINT by KC from Casey

When old rivals Casey and Sandringham met at Casey Fields in the VFL's televised match of the day on Saturday, the home side produced an exceptionally poor opening quarter to virtually cede the game from the beginning of the game. Kicking with the aid of the breeze, the Scorpions were goalless at the first break and it took until the 11-minute mark of the second term before they were able to kick their first goal.

Both teams had a strong contingent of AFL listers but Casey lost Shannon Byrnes and Jack Hutchins to injury from their VFL list before the game and James Munro (shoulder) early in proceedings. It also struggled in attack throughout the game and relied on resting ruckmen Mark Jamar and Max Gawn to take the marks in front of goal. Alas, both failed to convert when they had the early opportunities and, as a consequence, the team played catch up football all day.

The Scorps struggled with the wind all day and fumbling and poor decision making was a feature of their game. By half time they were in arrears by 25 points and a big effort was required if they were to get themselves back in with a chance. The inspiration came from Gawn who kicked one himself and have another away to a teammate as the opened the third term with three quick goals to get to within 7 points before the Zebras regrouped to push the lead out to 12 at three quarter time. They then dominated the final term to run away to a comfortable 35 point win.

Former Demon captain Jack Grimes was the best for Casey in a defensive role and was well backed up by Viv Michie and Matt Jones. Max Gawn was the best of the big men while youngsters Alex Neal-Bullen and Oscar McDonald continued to show encouraging form.

All in all, it was a disappointing result after the team spent last week basking in second spot on the VFL ladder. Casey travels to North Port Oval to take on Port Melbourne next Saturday and need to perform much better if they are to remain in the top eight.

Peter Jackson VFL

Casey Scorpions 0.3.3 3.5.23 7.8.50 8.10.58

Sandringham 1.2.8 7.6.48 9.6.60 13.15.93

Goals

Casey Scorpions Gawn Gent Grimes Harmes M Jones O McDonald Muir Petropoulos

Sandringham Acres Cockie Saad Zijai 2 Acres 2 Brown Gilbert Hayes Saunders Templeton

Best

Casey ScorpionsGrimes Michie Muir Gawn Rutherford Neal-Bullen

Sandringham Acres Cockie Curren Lee Goddard Saad

Match Statistics

Jack Fitzpatrick 10 disposals 3 kicks 7 handballs 1 marks 5 tackles 44 dream team points

Max Gawn 1 goal 1 behind 19 disposals 10 kicks 9 handballs 11 marks 1 tackle 22 hit outs 111 dream team points

Jack Grimes 1 goal 1 behind 31 disposals 17 kicks 14 handballs 10 marks 2 tackles 124 dream team points

James Harmes 1 goal 10 disposals 6 kicks 4 handballs 2 marks 1 tackles 37 dream team points

Mark Jamar 2 behinds 10 disposals 6 kicks 4 handballs 3 marks 2 tackles 32 hit outs 70 dream team points

Matt Jones 1 goal 1 behind 31 disposals 13 kicks 18 handballs 12 marks 4 tackles 134 dream team points

Oscar McDonald 1 goal 11 disposals 5 kicks 6 handballs 5 marks 48 dream team points

Jordie McKenzie 20 disposals 9 kicks 11 handballs 2 marks 4 tackles 73 dream team points

Viv Michie 1 behind 25 disposals 17 kicks 8 handballs 6 marks 2 tackles 96 dream team points

Alex Neal-Bullen 19 disposals 11 kicks 8 handballs 4 marks 7 tackles 77 dream team points

Aidan Riley 18 disposals 4 kicks 14 handballs 1 marks 4 tackles 56 dream team points

Dean Terlich 1 behind 25 disposals 17 kicks 8 handballs 4 marks 1 tackles 85 dream team points

Mitch White 13 disposals 6 kicks 7 handballs 4 marks 45 dream team points

In the Development League game, the Scorpions were headed at half time but kept the Zebras to just two goals after the main break to win by 19 points.

Max King booted three goals in the vital third quarter.

2015 AFL Victoria Development League

Casey Scorpions 4.3.27 4.3.27 10.4.64 12.6.78

Sandringham 2.0.12 7.3.45 7.4.46 9.5.59

Goals

Casey Scorpions

King 3 Lang Scott K Wilson 2 Page Rosier, Paredes

Sandringham Kreymborg 4 McTaggart 3 Brown Harris

Best

Casey Scorpions Corrigan Scott Wilson Page Paredes Anderson

Sandringham Verma Coates Noone Payne Brown Murdoch

Disposals Scott 30 K Wilson 29 Paredes 27 Page 21 Anderson 20

Ok, what is going on?

Grimes keeps Clint Jones to 15 touches and gets 31, but he is a wash-out?

Gawn had 11 marks, an astonishing 5 contested, but he can't hold a grab. He accumulated 19 disposals but doesn't involve himself?

Starting to think that forum posts about our players at Casey are not entirely without prejudice.

Ok, what is going on?

Grimes keeps Clint Jones to 15 touches and gets 31, but he is a wash-out?

Gawn had 11 marks, an astonishing 5 contested, but he can't hold a grab. He accumulated 19 disposals but doesn't involve himself?

Starting to think that forum posts about our players at Casey are not entirely without prejudice.

Next you'll be suggesting there are posts critiquing the players in the MFC side that are not entirely without prejudice.

• Like 1