POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 4

Demonland

Enjoy the win everyone! Solid win in wet conditions on the big stage!

We've got Fremantle, Sydney and Hawthorn the next 3 weeks so gonna be rough. Let's see how the boys handle a really tough run of matches. I don't expect to win any, but I would like to see us put up a good fight and not lose momentum we're building.

Here is hoping Freo, Syd smash the suit case out of each other this weekend.

• Like 3

I loved vanderbergs game, loved how Michie just came in and layer his role.

Loved Bernies goal and his workrate.

Tommy Mac was great but please stop trying to run the ball out in the wet. His spoils were sensational.

I thought dawes looked better and HOgan well what can you say.

Jones was just awesome, vince was in there again and im so rapt with Brayshaw. He cannot start sub again. Loved how the boys got around him when he kicked that goal and he came off clapping sat down and Lumumba was patting him on the back, so excited for him.

Loved seeing the tigs fans start to leave not even half way through the 2nd quarter.

I just loved everything including the pre match tribute. It was a good job by us and richmond.

Lets hope we get a good turnout against freo next week and give a good contest.

My only negative was the umpires, especially the first half. My Tigers supporting mate even made comment on how bad they were (

They did nothing with it.

Martins possessions were easy ones near the boundary where he does his normal thing and snaps it's on his right in a desperate attempt to keep the ball in.

• Like 2

Just how about Jonesy full stop!

Watching the replay and he was mic'ed up. What a captain, I just LOVE him so much.

He is just sensational.

Watching Jones now, compared to how he was about six years ago is just amazing. Completely different players and so much of it comes down to his work ethic. I doubt there are many players who have worked as hard as he has to get where he is.

Something that stands out immensly is his evasion through the scrimmage, he is so fleet of foot for a chunky bloke and when he can't slip through, uses his frame as a battering ram. His disposal over that period has also improved ten fold.

Love this man.

• Like 6

My only negative was the umpires, especially the first half. My Tigers supporting mate even made comment on how bad they were (

Martins possessions were easy ones near the boundary where he does his normal thing and snaps it's on his right in a desperate attempt to keep the ball in.

The umpires were pretty average, but I feel like they were consistently average. Two holding the balls stood out - the one against Garland, essentially in the Tiges goal square was atrocious and there was another against Richmond (can't remember who). So at least we got that howler back.

• Like 1

Just how about Jonesy full stop!

Watching the replay and he was mic'ed up. What a captain, I just LOVE him so much.

I think he's so much more effective at stoppages when he can run at it, rather than have to dig it out. VandenBerg & Michie did the digging for him tonight. He got some really clean clearances as a result.

• Like 1

I haven't got much to add about the game apart from that I enjoyed it thoroughly,....just thought I would add this cherry on top

Was sitting on top deck of Ponsford and went for break at half time, as I was coming back up the steps was nearly bowled over by this big guy bounding down the steps

He apologised, I recognised him and he recognised me, I asked him how he was going and he gave me big smile and said he was great, looked healthy and happy

Name - Christian Petracca

• Like 13

I'm just watching the replay atm. Judging by last week and tonight,it looks like Melbourne wont take anymore s**t from opposition teams.Don't know what happened after the GWS game but whatever it was it worked.

Does anyone else think Brayshaw has future captain written all over him?

And does he ever enjoy his footy. So mature. Did you see Petraca come over after the game and give him a pat on the back. Can't wait to have both of these young guns together in our line uo. And yes, it's early but I can see immense leadership qualities in this kid.

Edited by Bobby McKenzie
  • Like 2

Great win that means zero if we don't bring the same effort against the dockers, on our home deck we should be every chance to seriously push them.

A few observations ...

• Our constant pressure was amazing - best since I don't know when.
  • Defence was extremely well organised & efficient and we made their forward line play in a dysfunctional manner.
  • Attack on the ball and the man was first rate - we worried them into errors.
  • Our counter attacking style had the Roos stamp and we often looked dangerous going forward. Tempo footy is building by the looks of it.
  • Clearing the ball long from the last line of defense was also smart play on a wet night - because of that, they were often 3 or 4 possessions away from scoring.
  • All the players seem to know their role and they have confidence in each other.
  • We had a number of good players as others here have mentioned but a special mention to Jamar - he went hard at it all night and got on top of Maric as the match wore on. He toiled manfully and was quite influential.
  • Our work at the stoppages was a standout - they couldn't get enough clean possession whilst we often did.
  • Our forward line functioned well and was open for a lot of the night - another Roos stamp.
  • Roos outcoached Hardwick comprehensively.

A fantastic win!

Look what happens when we play FOUR quarters of pressure, pressure football. Gee, in the last quarter the tigers looked stunned and I thought I was watching the fanatical Sydney team in action. And don't say Watts didn't put in tonight. Strangely, as others have observed, his skills were down.

I think he's so much more effective at stoppages when he can run at it, rather than have to dig it out. VandenBerg & Michie did the digging for him tonight. He got some really clean clearances as a result.

Yep. I thought Jamar was trying to direct the ball further out than he usually does, rather than just dropping it to his feet. Gave Jones a chance to hit the ball running into space rather than a pack

• Like 3

So impressed with Michie. He adds so much hardness to our team and his skills are first rate. I hope he stars against his old team next week.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't start next week. He was terrific tonight. His skills in the wet stood out. .

• Like 3

Look what happens when we play FOUR quarters of pressure, pressure football. Gee, in the last quarter the tigers looked stunned and I thought I was watching the fanatical Sydney team in action. And don't say Watts didn't put in tonight. Strangely, as others have observed, his skills were down.

Yeah, I gave Watts some recognition in the 'current' Watts thread - as you said BM, his skills were down (and his confidence) but he did put his head over the ball a number of times. An improved effort - he still managed at times to release his teammates to advantage despite being down on his normal skill levels.

Roos isn't going to coach much differently to how he coached at Sydney. Most coaches just make minor adjustments as they get older in my opinion - what you see is what you get but with Roos it's quite complex.

We've got ourselves a very good coach - Hardwick was out of his depth tonight.

• Like 4

Nathan Jones is the king of the quick clever kick under pressure. I usually agree with what you say Clint and you called it after the first game that vandenBerg played, he is an absolute ripper. I liked what I saw from Vince again, he seems to have brought an extra gear of physicality this year so far and i'm loving it! Hogan = gun. Tigers got absolutely destroyed once the rain started, i'm very happy with how hard our players went in for the ball. They didn't look like kicking a goal in the second half and I think we should have won by a bit more.

Tigers are softtttt

Edit: I'm sad to see Kent is injured, he did fantastic in the time he was on with the pressure. I'm also really sad about the knee injury of the Richmond player (Drummond I think?). It's a shame to see any player injured especially in their first game. I hope he is ok!

Edited by Rafiki
  • Like 3

I loved this line in the Herald Sun game review

It means that assistant coach Goodwin, who will take over from Paul Roos at the end of next season, will have plenty to work with, including young gun bookends Hogan and Tom McDonald, after slamming shut the darkest chapter in the club’s history.
  • Like 2