Matthew Leuenberger...

TeamPlayedFine39

The challenge with a lot of ruckman is they struggle unless they are the main man that can grind 80%+ of the game out. I suspect Leunberger will be looking for a club that allows him to likely be the main ruckman now and for years to come. My query aside from his previous injury history would be does he fit what Roos and co see as a ruckman in todays game. He is tall and mobile but not big bodied like Jolly, Mumford, Pike. Is he combative enough? Well worth a look if he fits with where we think the game is heading. What we really need is Gawn to realise his size and talent and start putting serious pressure on Jamar.

yes but does he have IT, like watts, do they have IT.

I doubt it.

so do I

& this is why I have more confidence in Pencil, he has a taste for the hard stuff, like Strawbs did. he has something to grow on with experience, & confidence. I've yet to see gawn get heated & get seriously hard at it. seems content to be a clown? or comedian.

I want to see if he can play, footy; not basketball

so do I

& this is why I have more confidence in Pencil, he has a taste for the hard stuff, like Strawbs did. he has something to grow on with experience, & confidence. I've yet to see gawn get heated & get seriously hard at it. seems content to be a clown? or comedian.

I want to see if he can play, footy; not basketball

The issue with Spencer is he is useless forward. We need Gawn who can be dangerous in both roles.

• Like 1

The issue with Spencer is he is useless forward. We need Gawn who can be dangerous in both roles.

same was said of Jamar, at everything, kicking etc. whilst Jamar's no Dean Cox, he can use it a bit, & snap a goal; when he doesn't think too much & just uses his spontaneous intuition

lets see what the pencil can do when that same penny drops for him?

I remember Stef played his best footy for us when he had to ruck solo.

For some reason he doesn't perform as will in tandem. I don't think his form for the Lions has been as good this year with Leunberger in the side.

Has been very solid. One of their best players in losing sides. Averages close to 100 DT points.

• Like 1

Leuenberger on his good days is an excellent ruck but there is alot of those lesser days and is always injured. A no from me.

I actually think Jamar can go at least another season if not 2 if the body holds up. Seems to be enjoying his footy too.

I'd say he's certainly one to target, although his injury issues are a concern.

Spencer is just a dumb footballer full stop. Even watching the Scorpions game, he's got no football brain. I'll give you an example:

1st qtr and Casey are kicking into a howling gale. Casey player has the ball 55m out on the boundary line. Spencer runs to the goal line as if he's going to shepherd the ball through. The ball predictably ends up 25m out, and Spencer is caught out of position.

Gawn has some more attributes and upside. I'd perservere with him playing at Casey for the next 2 years until Jamar retires.

Spencer and Gawn are fine imo. They're very raw but expecting a Sandilands with your ruck stocks is futile. You need a strong midfield and a ruckman that will simply make a contest and get the ball to the ground.

We've also got Frost now who reminds me a little of Jason Ball.

Dawes can ruck around the ground, so can Hogan and Lumumba.

We're serviced well in ruck stocks imo.

We need better ball winners.

Our defense is nice and our forward line is better, but for the amount we rebound off 50, we don't go forward anywhere near enough. Our mids still don't run hard enough going both ways.

That will come with experience for Tyson, Viney. Vince never goes back and Jones can't do everything.

Brayshaw will be special.

Gee come to think of it if we're not playing finals by 2017 at the latest there really is something wrong with this club.

Edited by praha
  • Like 1

Spencer and Gawn are fine imo. They're very raw but expecting a Sandilands with your ruck stocks is futile. You need a strong midfield and a ruckman that will simply make a contest and get the ball to the ground.

I wouldn't think we're looking for a Sandi but someone who can contribute as a mid as well as compete well in the ruck, with the occasional goal going forward.

Our current rucks don't do this.

IMO our ruck stocks are week.

King looks a million miles away and I have reservations if he will make it at all.

Spencil is aggressive and a beast but lacking in the nous of the game and most of the skill set of an AFL footballer

Gawn needs to wake up one day soon and realise he is a very tall man - especially when he stands up straight and put his arms up over his head. - Time to start clunking 15 -20 marks in the reserve's Max !!

Jamar has heart and is easily our best option however he gets soundly beaten by the games premier big men and is lucky to break even against the also rans of the competition.

I would be going all out for a quality ruckman and at years end

• Like 1

Speaking of ruckwork, it's good to see that our coaching panel have been reading Demonland. I said before the GWS game that we needed players going 3rd man up against Mumford, but we only had 1 hitout by a non recognized ruckman, and got smashed in clearances. Against the Crows we had 12 hitouts by midfielders, and were far more competitive.

Speaking of ruckwork, it's good to see that our coaching panel have been reading Demonland. I said before the GWS game that we needed players going 3rd man up against Mumford, but we only had 1 hitout by a non recognized ruckman, and got smashed in clearances. Against the Crows we had 12 hitouts by midfielders, and were far more competitive.

A lot of those would have been in the second half when it was bucketing down I reckon. I saw a lot of smash-forward hitouts during that period when gaining ground at whatever cost was the name of the game.

Would be very surprised to see those sort of numbers again this week if it's dry.