Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Sam Newman's comments on Mitch Clark

Moneider96

For all of you armchair experts who would obviously be able to soldier on no matter what depths you happened to reach, no matter how dark your darkest hour... take a read: http://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/depression

Get off your high horse mate. Firstly no one can confirm he was sledged specifically about having depression. It's more likely he was sledged for being a shite bloke. Secondly people like me are venting at Clark screwing us over and you are extrapolating from that we have no respect for people with depression. We view is that is not an out for every decision you make. If you have depression you still should be accountable for your decisions.

• Like 9

1 in 4 people have depression and they just get on with it. This bloke is a sook and a tool with no morales. That is why he is getting sledged. Walking out on a struggling club and just generally being a selfish [censored].

Haha. What about those in mental health hospitals? What about those who have attempted suicide. Those who can't get out of bed and are on the dole or pension. Or those who have to give up one form of work for another. Are they getting on with it?

Clark is getting on with it. He's back working and doing a bloody good job.

Yet so many on here are angry at him for it not being at Melbourne. That's fine. But don't bring down the legitimacy of all people with depression based on Clark not wearing our colours.

• Like 3

Get off your high horse mate. Firstly no one can confirm he was sledged specifically about having depression. It's more likely he was sledged for being a shite bloke. Secondly people like me are venting at Clark screwing us over and you are extrapolating from that we have no respect for people with depression. We view is that is not an out for every decision you make. If you have depression you still should be accountable for your decisions.

Yes, god forbid I take exception to remarks that make light of a serious mental illness. Read the other link in post #110 above and you will see that the sledging just might (not definitely) have been related to his depression.

• Like 1

Yes, god forbid I take exception to remarks that make light of a serious mental illness. Read the other link in post #110 above and you will see that the sledging just might (not definitely) have been related to his depression.

You brought up the mental illness bit. He copped booing abs sledging. You reckon thousands of fans booed him coz he has depression? Is this really the world we live in?? Of course not, they booed him coz he is not a good bloke that continually walks out on clubs

The link shows no proof only speculation.

• Like 3

You brought up the mental illness bit. He copped booing abs sledging. You reckon thousands of fans booed him coz he has depression? Is this really the world we live in?? Of course not, they booed him coz he is not a good bloke that continually walks out on clubs

The link shows no proof only speculation.

My posts were in response to: "Players get sledged for anything and everything,. if he doesnt like he he should hang up the boots" which in turn was in response to comments relating to possible sledging over his depression. I never raised the booing by the crowd and never responded directly to comments about the booing by the crowd. In fact, crowds booing any player never concerns me.

And as for your last line, perhaps that's why I said: "the sledging just might (not definitely) have been related to his depression" (notice the "not definitely"in brackets?

Methinks Clark expected to become the feel-good AFL story of the year, only to come crashing back to earth with a thud as 50,000 Hawks fans let him know what they thought of his little stunt last year.

Depression is a mental illness and a serious issue in society. I won't speculate about whether or not it was a fabrication by Clark to escape his contract. What I will say is that having worked with countless sufferers of depression, it is never an excuse to [censored] on the people who help you. He showed his true colours last year, and maybe, just maybe, he was being booed because fans of the sport see him for what he is (and not the illness he may or may not suffer).

It doesn't change my opinion of him: a little man who only looks out for himself, no matter the collateral. Worse, he's a type who uses his apparent illness to excuse his abysmal treatment of others. He does this because he knows people in the media wouldn't dare criticize him for fear of looking insensitive and/or ignorant about mental illness, and it's always his fallback answer for anyone who does criticize the selfish decisions he's made.

• Like 15

Depression is a mental illness and a serious issue in society.

People don't understand it and there is a reason for this. What information have we got when it comes to this possible illness? Very little I think.

Why don't psychologists come out and show us how they diagnose depression?

Now I went to a psychologist to try and overcome a fear I had over a serious incident that happened to me years ago.

I was almost immediately diagnosed with depression. I felt fine so I said are you sure? she said yes so I said what test do I take? she said none they just take my word for it.

So how can this so called illness be taken seriously when it was clear that she pulled a diagnoses out of thin air because she wanted me to go on a disability pension.

It's like forcing people to believe in the easter bunny. How are we suppose to believe if there is no evidence out there? Show us some evidence and we will believe it's not a myth.

Finding it hard to think of a way to sledge him about depression that would upset him this much.

On the other hand, I can see how it would be very easy to upset him by sledging him about dogging on all his former clubs, or about his 'pseudo-retirement', and about the likelihood of it happening again at his current club when the chips are down.

So I highly doubt that they sledged him about depression. And nobody's actually saying that they did. Again, it's using the depression to deflect criticism about character issues, and Geelong FC is getting sucked in too. A big distraction for them.

• Like 5

Yet you think it's ok to sledge someone over depression... an illness that can and does take lives?

Oh that's right, it was Clark being sledged and that makes it perfectly acceptable in your books, doesn't it.

Was it confirmed the sledging was about depression?

This just in from Purple, the Hawks were quoting Demonland posters to sledge Mitch Clark during the Easter Monday clash at the MCG. Melbourne players are considering visiting the site ahead of their clash with GWS on Saturday to put high-profile signing Tom Scully off his game.

• Like 5

This just in from Purple, the Hawks were quoting Demonland posters to sledge Mitch Clark during the Easter Monday clash at the MCG. Melbourne players are considering visiting the site ahead of their clash with GWS on Saturday to put high-profile signing Tom Scully off his game.

He is already off his game...was subbed out last week. :cool:

• Like 2

Yet you think it's ok to sledge someone over depression... an illness that can and does take lives?

Oh that's right, it was Clark being sledged and that makes it perfectly acceptable in your books, doesn't it.

How do you know he was sledged over depression?

More likely it was over something similar to what happened at Geelong with KK or the fact that he makes a habit of Pissing on every club that he goes to or something else.The guy didnt treat MFC with any respect and is fair game IMO unless its something to do with health/family issues

Newman is an insensitive boor who represents an age long past. I was watching the Barrett segment and I thought both Joel Selwood and Josh Gibson discussed the issue sensibly and showed Newman up for the jackass he is these days. Incidentally, Gibson stated that although he played most of the game in Clark's vicinity, he heard nothing which suggests that the alleged sledging was in all likelihood very limited if it happened at all and possibly just another Barrett beat up.

We may not like the manner of Clark's defection but we should accept at face value that he was acting on medical advice when he made the decision to leave and that he actual does suffer from mental illness. There is no need for the booing or sledging on that score.

On the other hand, both Hird and Scully deserve everything they get.

• Like 6

Whilst I have no doubt he has/had depression, and I know im going over the same grounds here, but a job is a job, hes working in the same industry, doing (mostly) the same training and recovery, doing the same drills, watching the same tapes.

Mitch Clark wanted out of the MFC for a reason, that I am sure about. His illness is an illness and I dont think hes faking that at all, but its your friends and family that get you through the dark times, not a change of job (in the same industry!!!!!)

• Like 2

For those who go on and on about how s*** a bloke Mitch Clark is, I would suggest that you listen to the words of one Paul Roos (someone who many on here would probably act all sycophantic towards like they did with Mitch and who would probably be thrown under the bus at a moments notice should things turn pear shaped).
At a recent presser Mitch's name was bought up and Roos addressed his situtation. If Roos was legitimately angry then he could have expressed it without being defamatory or over blown (ala Ross Lyon). However, he was very much pressing the belief that the club's number one goal was to see Mitch get healthy and if that was at Geelong then so be it. He then finished with wishing Mitch well. No fuss, no muss.
The club has moved on. Why can't people here do the same? Even worse, why do they bring up the depression and dog whistle on occasion that he was faking it? I personally find that amazingly offensive.

It's been said more eloquently than I could say but I will repeat it: knock MC for the manner in which he left the club if you must. Don't say he faked depression to get out. It just makes you look like a pathetic fan boy with nothing going for you when you do.

I can just see now in 5 years time, ala Tom Scully, when superfluous threads about 'Look at what Mitch Clark is doing now!' pop up here like so much effluvia belching from a backlogged toilet. Why can't people just build a bridge and get over it?

I seriously doubt anyone sledged Clark. Mitch Clark is a professional victim, he will do and say anything for attention/sympathy.

I think the progressives will find it hard to implement political correctness in competitive sport (in the midst of game time).

I also think Clark was allowed back quicker than expected because depression isn't at the core of his disorder - but rather it is a small characteristic of it.

• Like 3

People don't understand it and there is a reason for this. What information have we got when it comes to this possible illness? Very little I think.

Why don't psychologists come out and show us how they diagnose depression?

Now I went to a psychologist to try and overcome a fear I had over a serious incident that happened to me years ago.

I was almost immediately diagnosed with depression. I felt fine so I said are you sure? she said yes so I said what test do I take? she said none they just take my word for it.

So how can this so called illness be taken seriously when it was clear that she pulled a diagnoses out of thin air because she wanted me to go on a disability pension.

It's like forcing people to believe in the easter bunny. How are we suppose to believe if there is no evidence out there? Show us some evidence and we will believe it's not a myth.

One bad experience doesn't rule out an entire diagnosis.

There was (he is dead now) a psychiatrist who routinely diagnosed just about everyone with ADHD +/- bipolar disorder. He was wrong a lot. Doesn't mean either diagnosis doesn't exist.

"Show us the evidence"...you sound like an anti-vaccer.

• Like 1

He is playing high level competitive sport and has been been paid big bucks for it.

If he can't take a bit of sledging then maybe he should take another year off?

That would be reasonable if that was indeed the case, but looking at this (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-09/clark-sledged-by-hawks), it looks like the sledging may have been related to his depression.

it just says things relating to his last 12 months........not necessarily depression.......pretty vague really

if it was about depression why not just say so. it's not like the press are normally timid

Newman is a tool. Attack Clark for having depression is ridiculous. You wouldn't sledge a player for having any other illness.

I fall into the camp that suggests depression isn't a mental illness. It's certainly real, but it's not a disease or illness. It's a state of mind and coping mechanism humans have used for time immemorial. But it's not an illness.

I'm not an expert, but I've read the views of experts and there's no real diagnosis for depression in psychiatry. The chemical imbalance in the brain theory is very unreliable and no longer considered sound.

Should he be sledged over it ? Probably not, as it's pretty childish, but I don't see it as the despicable action some do.

• Like 1

If he got sledged about his depression it was maybe perhaps because the sledger does not believe Clarks schtick about his illness. For someone alleged so ill that he could not play for us, he certainly looks impressively virile, fit and healthy these days. A regular Adonis he is. I think the vast majority of football followers don't believe the sincerity of his illness as demonstrated by the boos he got from Hawthorn supporters. One would think he jilted them and not us.

• Like 1

Apparently Clark was getting sledged on the footy field Monday and had a cry to his new club about it.

Well they got stuck into Motlop as well. They are a tough team.

• Like 1