POST MATCH DISCUSSION - ROUND 1, 2015

Demonland

Guys from what I am hearing Vince hardly set the world on fire at Casey

He may have to play another at Casey.

He actually looked pretty good OD ... he had to be amongst the best I would have thought.

For those imagining that Dawes won't come in next week, you are deluded. He is in the best condition of his career, at the best age, was excellent in the NAB, and increases the physicality and forward focus like nobody in the team (including Hogan). With Hogan now up and about, oppositions have two huge, quick competitive beasts to worry about. Garlett, Kent, JKH have a potential opportunists field day. Then there's Watts! Dawes comes straight in, and I can't wait.

Yes, it shouldn't be underestimated how much Hogan's intimidating play frees up Watts to use his sublime skills. For a start it means Watts got the second best defender and next week when Dawes comes in he will get the third. The way Hogan crashed the pack in the last quarter which directly led to a goal was inspirational. With Dawes, hogan, Watts and possibilty in the future Max Gawn, plus Garlett, JKH, Kent and Vandenberg it will be a handful for most defences.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the Hells Bells song as the players ran out set the scene.. Thought it was great. But did anyone else just have that feeling that things felt different as soon as the boys ran out ? It just seems like a new team, was like watching a different team yesterday. There was excitement in the crowd was sensational.. Watching the replays the roar of the crowd was unreal for only 27,000

I've noticed the Cricket World Cup and now AFL are borrowing some game day stuff from the NBA - good idea, the way they (USA) do sports for attendees makes ours looks pretty amateur in comparison.

I've noticed the Cricket World Cup and now AFL are borrowing some game day stuff from the NBA - good idea, the way they (USA) do sports for attendees makes ours looks pretty amateur in comparison.

Yeah definitely.. I went to a couple of NFL games and NBA games over Christmas in the US, was suprised to see that some of the pre game stuff was used yesterday at the G, like the make some noise flashing around the ground and the hells bells song

LOL this giuy

We kicked 5 goals 2 behinds in the third, same as the Suns

That quarter would have outscored some of our full games from last season

As you are simple,you are confusing the result with the performance.

The GC made as many mistakes as us or more but there was some crud footy.

We had the chance to crush them.

We blew it and you want to use last year as a pass.

Loser mentality, but it suits you.

I was at the game and thought vandenBerg had a good debut. But watching the replay, he was even better. Some of the little things - the knocks, the smothers, the tackles - he did as well as his attacking flair were outstanding.

Jason Taylor should be patting himself on the back for this one as I don't think anyone had heard of him before the Rookie Draft. Excellent recruiting.

• Like 9

When vanders got into the rooms he burst out in tears, massive moment for the young man who I think has locked his spot in our side now.

• Like 17

How f****** good is my boy Salem? Wow. Defensively and offensively.

For a 2nd year kid who barely played last year and in his first game as a defender he's amazing defensively. Gets to the right spot of his opponent and spoils or tackles really well. Probably got lost one time with a messy Gold Coast entry had him worried about tackling or corralling but he does so much right defensively and the attacking part of his game will start to flow the more he's out there. Kicked 1 goal and just fluffed a kick he'd make 99 out of 100 times that would've had the ball on a forwards chest straight out from goal.

The only thing that may stop him being a quality defender is that he'll be too good and have to be released in to the midfield! But at least in the short term he shouldn't be seeing much time at half forward we've got too many other good options!

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the Hells Bells song as the players ran out set the scene.. Thought it was great. But did anyone else just have that feeling that things felt different as soon as the boys ran out ? It just seems like a new team, was like watching a different team yesterday. There was excitement in the crowd was sensational.. Watching the replays the roar of the crowd was unreal for only 27,000

Gee, it really was a hair standing up on your arm type moment when they walked onto the ground.

• Like 1

Further to that someone quoted a stat that said Toumoas had 16% Disposal Efficiency

Well that a lot of [censored] that stat is... just watched the replay and he had three effective touches in the final quarter of his 6 disposals

My math isnt the greatest but I dont think think its possible to get 16% from 3 out of 6

I've never seen a sub's game be critiqued so much (especially a player who has only had 27 minutes of game time)

I look forward to seeing the same people critiquing the sub in the same way on a consistent basis (won't happen)

• Like 2

I will say this to all here that are criticizing Toumpas and for all those who are criticizing those who criticize

For too long we as supporters and as a club have had to put with bad calls all around, coaches players all have been under the microscope., why because in the last decade we have been nothing short of pathetic as a football club both on and off the field, starved of success and hope as a club

This in turn has lead to us as supporters to vent our frustrations here ,taking it out on those who we believe have failed to deliver for all of us.

This does not mean players don't deserve criticism, especially if they have proven themselves to not be up to standard.

I myself was one of those who was extremely disappointed with the selection of Toump over Wines but that cant be changed now we need to accept it and move on

So what do we do now? Do we give the young man Toump a chance or is he done and dusted as far as some of us as supporters are concerned

In fairness though can a player be judged on their performance as a sub in the last few minutes of a game ?

Myself I don't think so , his performance I believe has been poor to date, but in fairness I believe his introduction to AFL football has been hampered also due to outside pressures and injuries.

Roos has faith in him at least for the moment and needless to say I have faith in Roos !

If Roos says hes done then hes obviously done and dusted but if Roos continues to show faith in him then he obviously sees something more then I and others can see at this stage.

So Ill wait and give him his chance.

Ill let Roos run his course with Toump and hopefully he can turn him around but I do know Roo's wont brook passengers.

One last thing

Quick quiz : With about 7 mins left to play in the game I saw something that I haven't seen in such a long long time from the Melb. football club.

It was at this point I saw a passage of play that convinced me where home this day.

It began from the center and was just awesome to watch .

Can anyone tell me what it was and who the players where that where involved and what they actually did ? :):)

Hint it involved commitment and teamwork.

( :lol: I know there was plenty of that on the day, but this was something very special at least I thought so )

• Like 1

That was awesome. My only issue was the jarring point where they cut it short and moved in to the Melbourne theme song. That needs work. They could even say the club song isn't played unless we win.