• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION - ROUND 1, 2015

Demonland

Jones on Watts - Said over the last 18 months or so he's really bought in to the club and committed himself in training, taking on more responsibility and leadership. That would correlate to the big discussion of whether he was going to sign with us again or try to move to a more successful club wouldn't it? Sounds like once he decided to stay he made a few changes and really got his [censored] together.

Votes from Lloyd:

Garlett 8

McDonald 8

Jones 7

Watts 7

Sounds about right.

• Like 1

SFS said Garlett and TMac were best on ground.

Jeffy just needed to capitalise better but he was terrific. That running goal out of the centre was a thing of beauty.

How would you feel watching yesterday as a Carlton fan? Almost like their very own Mitch Clark, minus the burning hatred.

• Like 4

Jeffy just needed to capitalise better but he was terrific. That running goal out of the centre was a thing of beauty.

How would you feel watching yesterday as a Carlton fan? Almost like their very own Mitch Clark, minus the burning hatred.

The loss of Betts and now Garlett is a killer for them. That's 80+ goals a year that they threw away under Malthouse. Add Waite who was a matchwinner when on the park and they look stuffed.

Mick was just on the nine footy show talking about the list. They asked him about ex-Collingwood players and he said on top of Daisy that if he could he'd have brought in Heath Shaw and Chris Dawes as well but there was no way to make it happen.

Jones on Watts - Said over the last 18 months or so he's really bought in to the club and committed himself in training, taking on more responsibility and leadership. That would correlate to the big discussion of whether he was going to sign with us again or try to move to a more successful club wouldn't it? Sounds like once he decided to stay he made a few changes and really got his [censored] together. ...

Also coincided with the coming of Roos and the leaving of ... you know, that other guy.

To all those that hung Viney out to dry last week.....suck Sith!!!! Jack came to play today and made sooo many posters look absolutely bloody DUMB! Played on the little Master and for all, except 10 minutes, had his measure. Well done Jack for believing in yourself and to Roosy and Staff, well done for believing and trusting in Jack. How quick things can change. Last week he was playing for his career according to the Master Coaches on DL!!!! LOL!!

Like I said a couple of weeks back, he's where he is for a player coming into his 3rd year. He didn't have a great preseason but he certainly stepped up yesterday. Will probably be a bit more consistent this year and hopefully we can get a Libba performance from him. No reason we can't.

On another note, it was good to see his disposal pick up. Having some support and good targets sure helps.

I liked Frost yesterday. Maybe not a lot of stats but he was good as the 2nd ruck option, at the contest he just hits the ground running laying a block or a tackle and creates a great presence. He's a really good foil for Jamar.

• Like 1

Another result out of the match is the coming of age of Watts, below is a credit to him and even provides me with more hope and expectations for the future

Watts said: The win will give the team belief in what it’s been practicing over the pre-season.

When things aren't going well, which I’m sure at some point during the year [will happen] and it’s not going to work out perfectly for us – then we've got to trust what we’re doing, trust the game plan, trust our role and trust each other,” he said.

“We've shown today that it works and I think that’s probably the biggest thing that belief factor."

Edited by Demon Stalwart
  • Like 3

its nice to heat the media talking about us in a positive way and actually sound happy to see us do well.

Thats because sports journalist are on the whole,lower than shark excrement ,with no real insight other than what they parrot from former players because they have no real education or insight behind what they write.

With the exception of Paul Roos,they were just happy to kick us into the gutter.

They like to cheer on winners because in their hearts they know the worthlessness of what they contribute to society.

Thats because sports journalist are on the whole,lower than shark excrement ,with no real insight other than what they parrot from former players because they have no real education or insight behind what they write.

With the exception of Paul Roos,they were just happy to kick us into the gutter.

They like to cheer on winners because in their hearts they know the worthlessness of what they contribute to society.

Would love to know what you think of real estate agents and lawyers.

• Like 4

I've always been a massive Garland fan and have been quite defensive with some on here writing him off after an average season last year. It was bloody great to see him back to form, taking on players, getting forward and hitting targets. Not to mention being that flexible defender that plays on talls and smalls.

• Like 4

Mainly because the usual suspects had been dropped to play at Casey.

I've said it a lot before but a big problem with our kicking is the fact we did not run hard enough. If you are trying to pinpoint a player under pressure you are going to stink it up often. Yes we have a few who do it while under no pressure but I think in a lot of cases the pressure is self or team inflicted because we do n't run, spread and create options for each other. When everyone is running you don't need so much to hit targets, you only need to kick the ball into the right space. Its a subtle difference but kicking to space is a lot easier. And a player can run onto the ball making the kicker look like a dead eye dick.

YEsterday we ran hard all day. It was back to the Bailey days where we ran and created options left right and centre. Plus we had some defence as well. The turnover were noticeably lower and without seeing the stats I bet the kicking efficiency was a lot higher

• Like 3

A few observations (which may or may not have been mentioned)

• Jamar played an important role and without him, we could have really been towelled up.
  • Viney was the real positive to come out of the game and that wasn't predicted either.
  • We were hard at the contest and our backing up and 2nd & 3rd efforts were first rate.
  • The corridor was our friend - who would have thought?
  • We answered every challenge to great effect (the margin should have been larger though)
  • All our players seemed to know their role and we displayed great teamwork.
  • We put them off their game and they didn't seem to know how to respond.
  • Others have made mention of Kent's negating role on Malceski - that's a decent scalp.
  • We were far more direct and we played on a lot - without hesitation

The only bit that concerns me is this looks to be very close to our best team (save for Dawes & Vince) We could do with a bit of luck with injuries and we might need that luck if we're to make our mark on the season.

Another plus of sorts are those players looking on who didn't play - they'll now know the required level of intensity and application required (and the skill level)

We do have a fair bit of relative experience in the 2's and we need 3 or 4 of those players to improve their output markedly. The match committee need to see some dominant performances at Casey (both by the team and by individuals - on a consistent basis) That may not happen but we need it to happen.

A terrific win.

• Like 3

People should remember that we hardly had a good player in 2013 when Toumpas had his debut year ... and last year, he obviously had some health issues when we consider he missed the last 3rd of the season because of an appendix complication.

He may or may not end up becoming a good player but if we give him the same amount of time to develop as we have many others on our list, then ruling a line through him now is grossly unfair.

All things considered, I view him more as a 2nd year draftee because of the appalling way he was handled in his first year and because of his health issues last year (just imagine what it must have been like to walk into our dysfunctional club as an 18 year old in late 2012) Is Petracca going to be viewed as a 1st or 2nd year player next year? Hogan this year?

Roos obviously has a lot more faith in him than many here - I reckon it's dawned on Paul that we've got quite a few on our list that aren't up to it (and many of those players have been on the list for a lot longer than Toumpas - and they're in the 2's right now)

As it stands today, it was hard for him to make a big impact with the 27 minutes of game time that he got - 6 possessions was ok and he ran hard in the last quarter to create options. Nothing startling but nowhere near as bad as some are making out.

The team had a collective total of 40 clangers so let's not hang the bloke for his one smothered handball attempt (which, ironically, resulted in a goal to Lumumba)

And by the way, I neither love/like Toumpas nor do I hate him. I just judge him in the same way as I judge any other player with it all in front of him - his draft pick number means absolutely nothing to me - nor do the silly comparisons to Wines. He's still very raw and needs time, patience and good development.

The guy needs to actually do something to justify the blind faith that is around here in some quarters. Hasnt convinced me but we all need more than faith!

He needs to start playing footy, hard accountable footy. Roos gave him a chance as the sub ( I would not have done that on the efforts dislped during nab ) he is looking very like a pooor pick either he never had what it takes or he lsot along the way casey time beckons. He blew his chance on Saturday afternoon. And BTW patcience with seial underperformers has cost this club dearly.

• Like 1

A few observations (which may or may not have been mentioned)

• Jamar played an important role and without him, we could have really been towelled up.
  • Viney was the real positive to come out of the game and that wasn't predicted either.
  • We were hard at the contest and our backing up and 2nd & 3rd efforts were first rate.
  • The corridor was our friend - who would have thought?
  • We answered every challenge to great effect (the margin should have been larger though)
  • All our players seemed to know their role and we displayed great teamwork.
  • We put them off their game and they didn't seem to know how to respond.
  • Others have made mention of Kent's negating role on Malceski - that's a decent scalp.
  • We were far more direct and we played on a lot - without hesitation
The only bit that concerns me is this looks to be very close to our best team (save for Dawes & Vince) We could do with a bit of luck with injuries and we might need that luck if we're to make our mark on the season.

Another plus of sorts are those players looking on who didn't play - they'll now know the required level of intensity and application required (and the skill level)

We do have a fair bit of relative experience in the 2's and we need 3 or 4 of those players to improve their output markedly. The match committee need to see some dominant performances at Casey (both by the team and by individuals - on a consistent basis) That may not happen but we need it to happen.

A terrific win.

Great points.

Here's hoping we can replicate the level of intensity and application required (and the skill level) next week and for many weeks/years thereafter.

Yes, it shouldn't be underestimated how much Hogan's intimidating play frees up Watts to use his sublime skills. For a start it means Watts got the second best defender and next week when Dawes comes in he will get the third. The way Hogan crashed the pack in the last quarter which directly led to a goal was inspirational. With Dawes, hogan, Watts and possibilty in the future Max Gawn, plus Garlett, JKH, Kent and Vandenberg it will be a handful for most defences.

Planks for hands just what we need. needs to earn his spot !

I will say this to all here that are criticizing Toumpas and for all those who are criticizing those who criticize

For too long we as supporters and as a club have had to put with bad calls all around, coaches players all have been under the microscope., why because in the last decade we have been nothing short of pathetic as a football club both on and off the field, starved of success and hope as a club

This in turn has lead to us as supporters to vent our frustrations here ,taking it out on those who we believe have failed to deliver for all of us.

This does not mean players don't deserve criticism, especially if they have proven themselves to not be up to standard.

I myself was one of those who was extremely disappointed with the selection of Toump over Wines but that cant be changed now we need to accept it and move on

So what do we do now? Do we give the young man Toump a chance or is he done and dusted as far as some of us as supporters are concerned

In fairness though can a player be judged on their performance as a sub in the last few minutes of a game ?

Myself I don't think so , his performance I believe has been poor to date, but in fairness I believe his introduction to AFL football has been hampered also due to outside pressures and injuries.

Roos has faith in him at least for the moment and needless to say I have faith in Roos !

If Roos says hes done then hes obviously done and dusted but if Roos continues to show faith in him then he obviously sees something more then I and others can see at this stage.

So Ill wait and give him his chance.

Ill let Roos run his course with Toump and hopefully he can turn him around but I do know Roo's wont brook passengers.

One last thing

Quick quiz : With about 7 mins left to play in the game I saw something that I haven't seen in such a long long time from the Melb. football club.

It was at this point I saw a passage of play that convinced me where home this day.

It began from the center and was just awesome to watch .

Can anyone tell me what it was and who the players where that where involved and what they actually did ? :):)

Hint it involved commitment and teamwork.

( :lol: I know there was plenty of that on the day, but this was something very special at least I thought so )

Toumpas wont play next week OK!

The guy needs to actually do something to justify the blind faith that is around here in some quarters. Hasnt convinced me but we all need more than faith!

He needs to start playing footy, hard accountable footy. Roos gave him a chance as the sub ( I would not have done that on the efforts dislped during nab ) he is looking very like a pooor pick either he never had what it takes or he lsot along the way casey time beckons. He blew his chance on Saturday afternoon. And BTW patcience with seial underperformers has cost this club dearly.

Fair enough

I don't agree so let's agree to disagree (there's no point in repeating what I've already said)

I've said it a lot before but a big problem with our kicking is the fact we did not run hard enough. If you are trying to pinpoint a player under pressure you are going to stink it up often. Yes we have a few who do it while under no pressure but I think in a lot of cases the pressure is self or team inflicted because we do n't run, spread and create options for each other. When everyone is running you don't need so much to hit targets, you only need to kick the ball into the right space. Its a subtle difference but kicking to space is a lot easier. And a player can run onto the ball making the kicker look like a dead eye [censored].

YEsterday we ran hard all day. It was back to the Bailey days where we ran and created options left right and centre. Plus we had some defence as well. The turnover were noticeably lower and without seeing the stats I bet the kicking efficiency was a lot higher

Great post.