AFL - Round 1 (non MFC games)

What

Leigh Mathews reckons they've peaked too early. He said they should have only won by 4 goals. WTF

I know.. that was utterly stupid. He said that winning by that much is dangerous because the players might think it's just going to happen every week. Idiot. He reckons he is some sort of prophet and he owes Jack Watts a formal apology

who is going to beat Hawthorn this season?

hars to see anyone. Amazing team.

Short answer is no one when it will count. I think you could compile any 22 players from the other 17 teams you like and I would still back the Dorks. I don't see an individual football weakness amongst their group and of course they play as a well drilled team, the main players have played together for 10 years so they know intuitively where others are in any contested situation. Threepeat on the way unless they get the sought of injuries they got last year but at the back end in the finals.

• Like 2

Leigh Mathews reckons they've peaked too early. He said they should have only won by 4 goals. WTF

That was the dumbest [censored] I've heard since probably anything Darcy said.

• Like 3

Keep working on your niece Jane - you might win her over.

BTW Got rid of the filth supporting husband yet?

Nah - he is a keeper. Happily accepts his MFC membership each year as his Christmas present and often tags along to the Dees game with me. I cannot really complain.

He even went into Rebel Sport today and got my daughter a number 7 to iron onto the back of her Melbourne jumper. He is not your usual Collingwood supporter!!

• Like 2

Nah - he is a keeper. Happily accepts his MFC membership each year as his Christmas present and often tags along to the Dees game with me. I cannot really complain.He even went into Rebel Sport today and got my daughter a number 7 to iron onto the back of her Melbourne jumper. He is not your usual Collingwood supporter!!

He has a full set of teeth then Jane?

• Like 1

On a scale of 1 to Leigh Matthews, with Leigh Matthews being the dumbest sort of comment you can make, that statement is a Leigh Matthews out of Leigh Matthews.

Leigh Matthews.

He has a full set of teeth then Jane?

and a clean criminal history

Yes to both. His only fault is who he chose to support - otherwise he is perfect!

I don't think he's dumb. You don't win the number of premierships he has as a player and coach by not knowing your stuff. He is however showing signs of age.

When Taylor was laying motionless in the middle of the ground after smashing his head into the turf, all Lethal could bring himself to talk about was how amazing it is that they can remove the cricket pitches so quickly. It was weird more than dumb. Mind you he is one of the dirtiest players of all time so perhaps it just didn't faze him.

• Like 2

I don't think he's dumb. You don't win the number of premierships he has as a player and coach by not knowing your stuff. He is however showing signs of age.

When Taylor was laying motionless in the middle of the ground after smashing his head into the turf, all Lethal could bring himself to talk about was how amazing it is that they can remove the cricket pitches so quickly. It was weird more than dumb. Mind you he is one of the dirtiest players of all time so perhaps it just didn't phase him.

He pretty much wrote off Jack Watts' entire future after seeing his first couple of games, for that I can never forgive him. To have such stature and to make such public comments about an 18 year old kid was truly pathetic and classless. Not long after that I remember us playing the Lions up there and there was a brief experiment (or maybe it was only mooted) to do with him lining up on Jonathan Brown as a 'learn the ropes' type thing. Old Lethal took great pleasure in sneeringly and condescendingly implying that that Watts is just not near the calibre of the legendary Lion, coincidentally his own team, and would be 'eaten alive'. It had such a tone of hatred for our club to it I wanted to vomit. With 95 games played, many of them very good, I am yet to hear any type of recantation nor apology from this thug. F him.

• Like 2

He pretty much wrote off Jack Watts' entire future after seeing his first couple of games, for that I can never forgive him. To have such stature and to make such public comments about an 18 year old kid was truly pathetic and classless. Not long after that I remember us playing the Lions up there and there was a brief experiment (or maybe it was only mooted) to do with him lining up on Jonathan Brown as a 'learn the ropes' type thing. Old Lethal took great pleasure in sneeringly and condescendingly implying that that Watts is just not near the calibre of the legendary Lion, coincidentally his own team, and would be 'eaten alive'. It had such a tone of hatred for our club to it I wanted to vomit. With 95 games played, many of them very good, I am yet to hear any type of recantation nor apology from this thug. F him.

Leigh has some hits and misses. I think he was right on the mark with Col Silvia mainly because I have always thought the same and we have proven to be right even though there are still many who think Col was a misguided talent.

His call on Mitch Clark was totally wrong.

...and I think he will look pretty stupid on his Jack bashing. I know a few have liked the Lyon call on Watts following the Jack Gunston prototype but this has been a Demonland call for a while now. I think Jack is a valuable team member now and will lift his game further this coming year. Thought he was our best in the first q and 1/2 on Saturday.

I've been very cautious on saying this for years as its always come back to bite who ever has said it, but Geelong looked old and slow yesterday. Teams like Port that have quick ball movement is the way to beat Hawthorne (the way the Cats used to play). I watched the game yesterday was a hardcore Cat supporter, when Enright made that blue and Bartel tired to handball over the top of Lewis which was stolen he looked at me and said "i think father time has finally caught up to my boys".

If we can continue to show confidence and play with flair i believe we can match it with the Hawks for a while, in no way to i expect us to win. What i saw on Saturday from us with fast and attractive football, i loved every minute of it.

North have always been pretenders, Geelong are in trouble their old faithful's are looking like the lions of years passes. Hawks could go undefeated, Demons to surprise a lot of people!

Carn the Dee's

Not looking forward to playing the hawks... All I can think about for the last ~6 years is them continuously pumping the ball into our defensive 50 for 4 quarters

Looking forward to it myself.

If we go with the commitment we showed on Saturday we will make a game of it this time. May not win but we are far better equipped defensively than the Cats.

Wow......After 1 game of footy it is now gospel that the

Hawks wont be beaten

Cats wont win a game

Crows wont lose a game

Suns are shot

Dees will make the 8

Nth are stuffed

Freo and port will play off in the grand final

Can't wait for next week when all of the above will proved to be [censored]

• Like 6

Not looking forward to playing the hawks... All I can think about for the last ~6 years is them continuously pumping the ball into our defensive 50 for 4 quarters

If we have improved we should be competitive at least. That will be a good barometer game.

yep, can't see the blue baggers losing a game this year (excepting round 1 of course, and that doesn't count)

He would have been right if only the players weren't distracted by him not getting another million dollar contract.

Anyone else hear Frawleys wise crack interviewed after the match? He said something like, learning how to play at Hawthorn was completely different to how he was taught to play at Melbourne....... lol i thought his game was pretty average actually..

Anyone else hear Frawleys wise crack interviewed after the match? He said something like, learning how to play at Hawthorn was completely different to how he was taught to play at Melbourne....... lol i thought his game was pretty average actually..

Judging by the reaction of some of his team-mates when he bombed long into the forward line rather than hitting up a free player with a short pass, it would seem he still has some learning to do..

• Like 2

the bloke is about as sharp as a bowling ball , I doubt he's ever been 'taught' anything.. certainly not how to kick a footy at age 26

• Like 2

Hawks on today's form would have flogged anyone, but will be interesting to see what becomes of Geelong this season. Lots of geriatrics playing for them today.

Oh, how much I would give to finish above them.

Geelong played a worse game in mid season last year but managed to regroup to put in some good performances before going out of the finals in straight sets.

Definitely on the decline. They have a lot of players coming to the end of their tether and I'm not sure whether the combination of Hawkins and Clark is really going to work - their forward line looked cluttered and one paced.

the bloke is about as sharp as a bowling ball , I doubt he's ever been 'taught' anything.. certainly not how to kick a footy at age 26

Yes I agree Curry.

I posted on this forum , when Frawley was still a Dee, that his communication skills were roughly equivalent to a pot plant.

No offense meant to pot plants.