THE ESSENDON 34: ON TRIAL

Demonland

slobbo pushes for essendon man to fill vacancy on afl commission

just what we need. why don't we just hand over the chairman's job too and be done with it

I think the key point about an indigenous representative is valid, though.That Michael Long happens to be a former Essendon player shouldn't be relevant. However, I suspect that in the minds of the AFL-loving public it will be. There are plenty more great indigenous choices, though. It doesn't have to be Long. What about David Wirrpanda, for example?

• Like 1

Fair point, my reply above was written prior to reading your point.

As to the view of damage to weaker clubs from excising the boil of Essendon from the competition, I think the competition will be better for it.

South & Fitzroy supporters have not all been lost to football. Sometimes short term pain is needed in order to go ahead. Tassie Bombers would be a positive outcome and it would show others that the cost of seriously transgressing the rules can be massive.

I know a good many who have no interest even when the Brisbane Lions were winning flags and they were not removed from the league like some are proposing be done to Essendon.

Any way enough of this it just goes round and round everyone on here has a view and I don't see anyone changing any time soon.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, and without extending the debate, I think whenever team's seriously transgress accepted rules, the punishments should primarily be directed to the individuals who make the decision to break the rules. I agree that clubs also need some form of punishment so that they do not benefit from the crimes committed, but meaningful (ie, longterm or lifetime) bans should be "offered" to those individuals proven to have been culpable.

Your compassion is to be commended.

So if we accept that individuals accept long-term/lifetime bans what is an acceptable punishment for the organisation that stood to derive the benefits of the scheme?

Financial penalty? Would have to be means tested, rich clubs to receive a bigger penalty.

Draft choice removal? Would also have to be scaled, Hawthorn losing their 1st 2 picks for 2 years would be less harsh than StKilda for the same period.

Banning from finals for a period? Would not be a penalty to StKilda.

So how do we structure a suitable penalty? I am not sure if there is a suitable penalty, I am just glad I am not an Essendon supporter.

I know a good many who have no interest even when the Brisbane Lions were winning flags and they were not removed from the league like some are proposing be done to Essendon.

Any way enough of this it just goes round and round everyone on here has a view and I don't see anyone changing any time soon.

OD, I have a two ex Fitzroy supporter friends, one now supports Bulldogs the other Brisbane, both have an interest in Fitzroy in the VAFA.

I agree jnrmac the rumours on a few players in the AFL are too strong and have been going to long for there not to be some fire.

Only a matter of time in my view.

A lot of people may be very surprised about the amount of Cocaine consumed by the more highly regarded members of this society.

Its the drug of choice as it out of your system in 24 hrs apparently.

The testers should be permanently stationed at Carlton BTW....

OD, I have a two ex Fitzroy supporter friends, one now supports Bulldogs the other Brisbane, both have an interest in Fitzroy in the VAFA.

Perhaps mine are older and have lost the desire for the game.

Your compassion is to be commended.

So if we accept that individuals accept long-term/lifetime bans what is an acceptable punishment for the organisation that stood to derive the benefits of the scheme?

Financial penalty? Would have to be means tested, rich clubs to receive a bigger penalty.

Draft choice removal? Would also have to be scaled, Hawthorn losing their 1st 2 picks for 2 years would be less harsh than StKilda for the same period.

Banning from finals for a period? Would not be a penalty to StKilda.

So how do we structure a suitable penalty? I am not sure if there is a suitable penalty, I am just glad I am not an Essendon supporter.

As a dees supporter that one is up why alley.

Edited by old dee

I agree jnrmac the rumours on a few players in the AFL are too strong and have been going to long for there not to be some fire.

Only a matter of time in my view.

A lot of people may be very surprised about the amount of Cocaine consumed by the more highly regarded members of this society.

Agree 'old dee', I think the AFL have done their best to manage the problem. In other words keep it quiet.

As for the highly regarded members of society, the pity is some of them are in the media throwing stones and others are siting in judgement.

• Like 1

Perhaps mine are older and have lost the desire for the game.

I have been to a few matches at Brunswick Street and judging by the age of the supporters at the players race I would think they are the parents of your friends.

They love their team.

http://www.fitzroyfc.com.au/

Worth a read, specially the section on the AFL's most successful side.

I think the key point about an indigenous representative is valid, though.That Michael Long happens to be a former Essendon player shouldn't be relevant. However, I suspect that in the minds of the AFL-loving public it will be. There are plenty more great indigenous choices, though. It doesn't have to be Long. What about David Wirrpanda, for example?

Long can't put 2 words together (then again nor can Robbo) so to me he shouldn't be a prime candidate for the commission, there must be better indigenous representatives. Goodes will be a prime candidate although he does galvanise supporter opinion.

• Like 2

Agree 'old dee', I think the AFL have done their best to manage the problem. In other words keep it quiet.

As for the highly regarded members of society, the pity is some of them are in the media throwing stones and others are siting in judgement.

Exactly who I was hinting at rjay, I have a relative in the second group and if 10% of the stories he tells are correct then there is a lot of Cocaine in the community

• Like 1

It is alleged Hunt and the co-accused arranged for cocaine for personal use or to be passed on to friends or colleagues between June and December 2014.

Hunt was playing in the AFL for the Gold Coast Suns and training with the Reds during that time.

Clearly our drug testing regime is still pretty loose.....

This article is Queenland-focused, but I think the same comments very much apply everywhere.

• Like 1

Some turkey on the radio just said that the current cocaine cases are perhaps the 'darkest day in sport' rather than the EFC situation. If people like him can't see the difference between a few individuals who happen to be sportsmen facing criminal charges for supplying illegal drugs to the systematic cheating program at Essendon, I despair.

Edited by sue
  • Like 1

Some turkey on the radio just said that the current cocaine cases are perhaps the 'darkest day in sport' rather than the EFC situation. If people like him can't see the difference between a few individuals who happen to be sportsmen facing criminal charges for supplying illegal drugs to the systematic cheating program at Essendon, I despair.

I think the cocaine problem reflects a darkness in the community and is not just related to sport.

• Like 1

slobbo pushes for essendon man to fill vacancy on afl commission

just what we need. why don't we just hand over the chairman's job too and be done with it

Well I could be convinced I would like to hear his views on performance enhancing drug use, recreational drug use and preventative strategies he has been involved with.

But he would need to indicate that Essendons actions are unforgivable and players and the club must be treated in the firmest possible way including meeting international expectations.

If that means the transfer of Essendon Bombers licence to Tasmanian Bombers that could be a positive step

Long can't put 2 words together (then again nor can Robbo) so to me he shouldn't be a prime candidate for the commission, there must be better indigenous representatives. Goodes will be a prime candidate although he does galvanise supporter opinion.

Ricky Jackson says no...

So does Troy Simmonds.

Mongrel player.

• Like 5

this is exactly why all the evidence needs to be laid very clear, very publicly.

otherwise people will never understand whats happened.

IMO there is literally going to be the biggest, loudest and longest s%&t storm in the history of the AFL if this mob get off. Mind you I guess it's pretty safe to say it's already that. The lack of transparency if they get off is going to be one of the big contributors to how bad this storm is going to be not just from AFL supporters but from followers of all sports worldwide. The damage to Australia's international sporting standing will be massive.

IMO the system should require that once it is established that an athlete took a substance, as has been proven conclusively here, then the onus should be on them to prove what it was and if they can't they should automatically face a ban. If this was how the system ran then the players would have pleaded guilty a long time ago. I know BB thinks this is how the system works but everything I have read indicates that the onus is on ASADA to have to prove "to reasonable satisfaction" what they took and that it was illegal.

We all have our opinions about this whole saga but none of us have seen all the evidence and the Tribunal will have to make a very forensic legal assessment of the evidence. No matter what anyone's personal opinion if the evidence isn't enough to prove it legally then they will have to find them not guilty. ASADA already start on the back foot because they don't have any direct evidence eg positive blood tests and can't even call the two key witnesses. They have to rely on a whole lot of circumstantial evidence to prove what they took. Hopefully for everyone's sake other than the Bumbers this is enough.

I can't bare the thought of Hird and Little's behaviour if they get off. It would be enough for me to turn off all media for an extended period.

• Like 2

There must also be gay/lesbian, junior and senior citizen commisioners. That will cover most bases.

I have my hand in the air for the last spot adc

Can I expect demonland support?

• Like 1