Rating our draft period - so far

Deespicable

I rate our draft period probably a 3/10, maybe a 3.5.

A tale of two halves. The part where we got Stretch for a 3rd rounder and Garlett for peanuts was 9/10. Giving up Clark for Lamumba, and not getting a 3rd rounder from Geelong in the process, was not ideal. 6/10

Then capping it off by bending over for GWS at the last minute, without lube. Left us absolutely no time to do anything with those picks, and seemed a completely rushed decision because we panicked at the last moment. I doubt we have anyone specific in mind that late in the draft. Picks 40 and 53 had a lot more currency in trades... this trade period showed you can still get good players with those picks. Merrett for 40, maybe even cut St Kilda's lunch and intervene with their Membrey to PSD plan. Essendon got Giles for pick 53. I can't imagine they're a more attractive destination than us. 1/10 (probably generous)

Obviously keeping picks 2 and 3 was never the plan, but clubs clearly refused to offer anyone to show us what they thought about us getting the pick for Frawley. "Sure, they can have pick 3 for Frawley, but we ain't allowing their plan to play out by giving them an established player for it."

Edited by Lamashtu
  • Like 2

This is where you lose me.

I'd rather attempt to land a Bontempelli/Kelly to add to Jones, Viney, Tyson, Cross, Vince, Toumpas, Salem, Trenners (maybe one day?) than swap both for a 27 year old Josh Kennedy.

I want to win games as much as anyone however don't want to rely on a couple of players to get to a middle of the ladder position and watch an aging list slip back down.

• Like 4

I actually rate our trade/draft period so far about a 7/10.

As I said in original post, the only negative is that we looked like we weren't getting back into the second round and the club could argue they did, as they got back pick 40, which is the last pick of the second round.

I would have liked us to have traded out at least one of our non-performing contracted players, but on the other hand, showing loyalty to a senior group (except for their treatment of Jack T) does have some benefits for mindset (just look at the James Mc situation).

I am not sure what miracles others wanted, but we were willing to offload 2 and 3 for a quality mid and we weren't able to tempt anyone - not that surprising given we were second bottom and lost our last nine games.

What we have to hope is that we finally get lucky with picks 2 and 3 and that they turn out even better than expected.

The focus now turns to delistings and Blease and Strauss have already been told. A decision on Tapscott, Evans (yes I know he's contracted for another year) and the rookies comes next.

At this stage we have created room for three picks.

Out: Frawley, Clark, Byrnes, Nicholson, Clisby, Strauss, Blease (7).

In: Lumumba, Frost, Garlett, Stretch (4)

Jetta needs an upgrade as well, so I would imagine both Tapscott and Evans will be given marching orders.

I suspect decisions on Harmes, King and Georgiou will also be on hold for a bit and I'd expect only at least one of three to be moved on and it could depend on who we get with picks 40 and 53.

If we get Oscar McDonald with pick 40 for instance, then Georgiou would be an obvious delisting for list balance.

The other shock as yet, could be delisting a player with no currency to other teams (eg: Jordie McKenzie), and committing to redrafting them as a rookie. That scenario could be necessary if we get excited about an uncontracted free agent who has been delisted and want to nab them pre-draft.

That window on a high rise that a few of you are jumping out of was one we all created for ourselves.

They had publicly targeted certain players and they got them all, save for Dangerfield, for him we wait with a cheque for next year.

We have improved our starting 22 and we have the opportunity to find some star midfield talent in the draft.

They have to get November right.

Just have to.

• Like 1

Fox Footy Rating:

MELBOURNE — DISTINCTION

IN: Heritier Lumumba, Jeff Garlett, Sam Frost

OUT: Mitch Clark, James Frawley

DRAFT PICKS: 2, 3, 40, 42 (Billy Stretch), 53, 83, 97, 115

VERDICT: Perhaps did less than expected, but no one came to the party with picks 2 and 3. If they get Angus Brayshaw and Paddy McCartin in the draft it gives them the small-tall combo they need. Now they need to develop them, which is always the problem at Melbourne. Roosy believes they have met key needs — Heritier Lumumba’s dash and defensive nous, and Jeff Garlett’s nose for a goal. Got defender Sam Frost for a bit more than they wanted, giving up 23 and getting some picks (40, 53) back. Any club that gets pick 3 for outgoing Frawley will be throwing a pool party in Roosy’s Hawaiian ponderosa.

Ok I've certainly calmed down since 2pm, when I was just about ready to call for a burning effigy of Josh Mahoney... I can see some positives.

That being said, I'm still displeased that we gave up so much for Frost. I would have taken the risk and went to the PSD - If the 'aints snaked him from us, I would have taken Membrey happily. I really didn't want to part with pick 23 here.

- On a positive note, I'd rather pick 40/53 over some of the stragglers on our list, so if they are direct replacements, that's not so bad

- Happy with Garlett + Lumumba, considering we gave up half a steak knife for Jeff, and a player who was retired and worth nothing a month ago for HL.

We MUST nail these draft picks and show sizeable improvement next year, or I fear we could be waving goodbye to our best player of the past ten years at the end of next season.

We've said it so many times before, but 2015 is really make or break. Let's go Dees.

Edited by Guest

A tale of two halves. The part where we got Stretch for a 3rd rounder and Garlett for peanuts was 9/10. Giving up Clark for Lamumba, and not getting a 3rd rounder from Geelong in the process, was not ideal. 6/10

Then capping it off by bending over for GWS at the last minute, without lube. Left us absolutely no time to do anything with those picks, and seemed a completely rushed decision because we panicked at the last moment. I doubt we have anyone specific in mind that late in the draft. Picks 40 and 53 had a lot more currency in trades... this trade period showed you can still get good players with those picks. Merrett for 40, maybe even cut St Kilda's lunch and intervene with their Membrey to PSD plan. Essendon got Giles for pick 53. I can't imagine they're a more attractive destination than us. 1/10 (probably generous)

Obviously keeping picks 2 and 3 was never the plan, but clubs clearly refused to offer anyone to show us what they thought about us getting the pick for Frawley. "Sure, they can have pick 3 for Frawley, but we ain't allowing their plan to play out by giving them an established player for it."

Would love to take Membrey in the ND but I reckon he will only nominate for the PSD

We did in the draft period what Roos said we would, i.e. bring in some experience, so by that measure alone, a success. HL will be in our top 5, Garlett will be close to our leading goal kicker, and the FD obviously see something in Frost.

So some useful pickups, with a very strong hand to play in the draft and PSD.

Hard to complain, and no good lamenting what might have been. We live in the real world, not Demonland's fantasy construct.

We did in the draft period what Roos said we would, i.e. bring in some experience, so by that measure alone, a success. HL will be in our top 5, Garlett will be close to our leading goal kicker, and the FD obviously see something in Frost.

So some useful pickups, with a very strong hand to play in the draft and PSD.

Hard to complain, and no good lamenting what might have been. We live in the real world, not Demonland's fantasy construct.

Oh come on! I feel much safer here!

We have done worse in the trade period.

I am surprised that we couldn't do anything with trading pick 3.

I guess it shows how shallow this draft really is in the eyes of other teams.

I really don't see any standout recruits from this draft.

There might be a handful of good types, but no champions.

Let's see what the draft brings and what dead wood we get rid of, before looking at the total picture.

We have done worse in the trade period.

I am surprised that we couldn't do anything with trading pick 3.

I guess it shows how shallow this draft really is in the eyes of other teams.

I really don't see any standout recruits from this draft.

There might be a handful of good types, but no champions.

Let's see what the draft brings and what dead wood we get rid of, before looking at the total picture.

Nice avatar! Hang on that's my ex wife!

i feel as if we are picking up players who have already finished there best footy or young guys with no experience instead of current stars who will continue being stars for the next few seasons. These sort of guys would be a bit of spark for the team and give a little bit of pressure of the younger guys like watts and grimes.

• Like 1

Rating the draft 3/10 or whatever is pointless given the lack of understanding about what options were presented to Melbourne. I'd suggest they did the best they could with the hand they were dealt.

The effect of the draft on any team is grossly over-rated anyway. So few players actually change hands it's hardly life-changing for the clubs. We may well get two stars out of picks 2 and 3, and find out in a few year's time it was much better to keep them than to trade them for someoine. Who knows?

• Like 2

Happy we got Frost. Had we dealt earlier on him, I wouldn't be surprised if we'd picked up Whiley as part of the deal or got a better pick downgrade, but we were tangled up in other trades and scenarios at the time.

Now, I'm excited by pick 2 and 3 (welcome to MFC A Brayshaw and /or C Petracca and/or P McCartin and/or J Lever).

What about if we didn't want Membrey? And wanted Frost - the bloke we have been whispering to for months apparently.

Do you really think clubs priorities turn on a dime like that?

"Oh, we want Frost, but the Saints might take him?"

"Derr, ok, we will just take Membrey then."