Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Rating our draft period - so far

Deespicable

Ok, so we are getting close to the end of the trade period and I thought I'd give my view and ask you to add yours.

As it shapes at moment, we appear likely to pick up Lumumba (as part of Clark deal) and Frost (for second rounder), so comments are based on these deals going through.

Big ticks:

1) Footy department decided that we needed pace (at last) - Garlett (short term), Stretch (long term) and Harry O (quality on way).

2) Footy department decided that we needed to give ourselves the best chance at getting a superstar and kept picks No.2 and No.3 (sure we offered them up for Dangerfield who clearly would have fitted the superstar category, but it looks like we will have two stabs at obtaining a future gun (yes, I know we have cocked these sort of picks up in past five years, but eventually we have to get one right).

3) Footy department recognised we are a little light on for key defenders with loss of Frawley and picked up Frost (deal still pending, but highly likely).

Little ticks

1) Footy department did not pay overs for Garlett and second rounders for Lumumba and Frost appears pretty much on the money as to their market standing at moment.

No tick (just ticked off)

1) We have not traded out any of our under-performing contracted players to get back into the second round. While this policy represents great loyalty by Roosy to the four guys we all talk about on other forums, it means we are not playing the business game.

As a result (because we will have no pick from No.3 through to about No.70) we now have no chance of getting a host of players including two that we should have been especially keen to try and get.

Exhibit A: Oscar McDonald - a tall defender/forward who we know comes from good country stock because he is the brother of Tom. He is tipped to be a late developer like his bother and expected to be taken about pick 40.

Exhibit B: Nakia Cockatoo - a quick, skilled tall midfielder from the NT. I have said this before, we should by now have set up an academy in the NT and we should be owning the area. Instead we just take the money from the NT government and put very little back into the community up there. As a result when potential role models like Nakia come up, we can do nothing but watch them walk away and get drafted by other clubs. Nakia is expected to go anywhere from pick 20-40, so again we will miss out on someone that might have become our promotional wildcard in Darwin and Alice Springs.

My final comment is on pick No.2 and No.3.

Whilst we all know that Roosy has been keen on Angus Brayshaw for some time and his highlights show that he fits the tall, tough midfielder description to a tee, who should we be taking at pick No.3 with him?

I have watched highlights of the key kids from the carnival matches and I've got to say I am not majorly impressed with what McCartin or Peter Wright did, yet I lean towards Wright because of his potential ruck ability with the Russian most likely being one year away from retirement. But does anyone have a clear view on No.3 (don't say Petracca, he's off to St Kilda).

Thus far... highly disappointing.

Roos has not lived up to his promise of cleaning out and improving this list. Have we all forgotten this playing group's pathetic final ten matches this year?

Frost stands in for Frawley, Garlett for Clark. Lamumba only came to us because he fell out with his current club a month ago. Where the hell are the midfielders?? Last year we brought in 6 and saw great progress. Until we continue to fix the midfield we'll continue to be an embarrassment.

Edited by Lamashtu

Trenners, Toumpas,Grimes and Watts obviousley are not worthy of trade. I still believe that they are a big part of the problem at the moment.

To say none of those 4 have any currency is ridiculous, each of them would be worth at least a 2nd rounder right now.

Roos obviously sees them as part of the solution. He has repeatedly stated that he rates Toumpas, which by the way I agree with. I don't know if anyone else caught the Dees v Richmond game on Fox Footy the other night (it was splendid viewing), but I thought Toumpas was excellent. Several very damaging kicks and real intent with everything he did.

• Like 1

I'd be disappointed if we didn't get an additional pick or at least an upgrade of later picks for the Clark/Lumumba deal. Pick 23 is overs for Frost too IMO so if we could squeeze a later pick for Clark and then use that on Frost instead that would be a better outcome - then we could take 23 to the draft.

You can't get too caught up with the midfield deficiencies, we have them all over the park- no quality user of the ball from the backline ( whether labamba is the answer I don't know) very light on for crumbers, we are KPD and KPF depth short as well as a couple of midfielders down.

Looks like no one is willingly trading any experienced mids out and if they are they aren't interested in a swap for just picks, and we are very short of sweeteners. Seems every teams on the whole downgrading of picks strategy because of our success with Tyson and Salem, and with the unprecedented player unrest this draft period.

We tried for Danger, we have been trying to offload pick 3 but so far from what we know, no biters. Best we can do is try to fill some perceived holes right now which is what Roos is trying to do.

A fail would be sitting on our hands and doing nothing- we are talking to players but the fact remains, whist we are in a more stable position off field now , we are still unattractive proposition to play for. Looks like the best we can do is fill some holes in other areas in this draft, and try to attract the bigger names after some on field success.

We still have picks 2&3, there is a possibility that could net us Petracca and Brayshaw. If that happens, and we can land a labamba and say a Gore with a second rounder, this trade/draft period is a win.

Trenners, Toumpas,Grimes and Watts obviousley are not worthy of trade. I still believe that they are a big part of the problem at the moment.

Trenners and Toumpas need a clean, uninterrupted run at it.

Grimes and Watts are favorite whipping boys who have shown a fair amount of loyalty when it would've been easy to walk away.

Happy for all four to stay.

• Like 2

Let you know at the end of 2015. So far so good. Attempting to address our lack of run from half back and lack of a true small forward.

• Like 1

Roos has not lived up to his promise of cleaning out and improving this list. Have we all forgotten this playing group's pathetic final ten matches this year?

Frost stands in for Frawley, Garlett for Clark. Lamumba only came to us because he fell out with his current club a month ago. Where the hell are the midfielders?? Last year we brought in 6 and saw great progress. Until we continue to fix the midfield we'll continue to be an embarrassment.

Really the first trade only happened yesterday with O'Rourke, so don't think Roos and the MFC are Robinson Crusoe here

What did you expect Treloar, Danger and Shiel all signed up on Tuesday

First week is all about clubs sounding each other out, same happened last year, once the Beams deal does or does not happen, Clark & Lumumba deals go through and soemthing happens re Griffen things will start to fall into place

Edited by Pennant St Dee
  • Like 1

We have some pessimists on here, with no idea how to manage negotiations. YOU DONT SHOW YOU WHOLE HAND FIRST ROUND.

Roos is being Roos - cool cold and calculating, and overridingly, patient. Tyson last year did not emerge until the last two days. We might even wait until the draft because the best long term players are there for us. I would have thought a trading period of:

Brayshaw, Lumumba, Frost, Stretch, Gartlett, McCartlin and maybe someone like Cockatoo-Collins, as well as effectively a number 1 draft pick restart with 50+ games in him Jack Trengove. I would have thought that was a brilliant outcome. It is certainly represents a vastly improved list on our current one.

Edited by Dees2014
  • Like 1

Isn't the trade period two weeks? In all i'm pretty happy so far. I still tjink Frost could come as part of a package with one of their mids, which could be nice. Pretty sure we'll still have a pick around the 20 mark. I also wonder if Blease will go in the Clark deal as dressing. The cats showed a bit of interest in him.

It's a pass mark for me.

We got Garlett for next to nothing. Lumumba should cost us no more then Clark and then Frost should sort itself out. As others have said, Pick 23 is overs, so I think Fitzpatrick is the man most likely to be traded to a 3rd club (Carlton or Bulldogs) for something to be passed onto GWS and Frost sent to us. Frost for Fitzpatrick sounds about fair to me.

Blease, Strauss & Tapscoot all OOC so they'll just be delisted. The only other dead weight on our list that I really want us to clear out this off season is Evans, and that could still happen for something like Pick 87 etc.

Roos looks to be addressing our need for outside run and some tall man depth which we need with Frost's ability to play forward and back as a replacement for Chip.

We could still go to the draft with Picks 2, 3, 23, 42 (Stretch) & 83 (Jetta). Grab Brayshaw, McCartin & at 23 maybe someone like Cockatoo as you've suggested or maybe another rugged midfielder like Maynard and have another father son on the list, although Brayden's dad fell 92 games short for automatic qualification....

But I'd take McCartin over Wright as Wright's not a natural ruck as I've discovered doing some more research. He's more a CHF, and if we're going to draft a key forward, we may as well go for the stand out one in the draft which is McCartin. McCartin at FF, Hogan CHF & Dawes as the 3rd tall chopping out in the Ruck (I know he left Collingwood to get away from that role) looks pretty good to me in the future.

So, so far it's a pass for me with still plenty of time left in trade period as long as we don't get ripped off in the Lumumba & Frost deals.

• Like 1

Far too soon for this. The bulk of the activity will be next week. A huge success thus far though, with the best possible outcomes for Frawley compensation and Stretch falling to the third round. Garnett comes for next to nothing in one of only two completed trades across the entire league.

We all want another Tyson, but there's still another week to go.

Ok, so we are getting close to the end of the trade period and I thought I'd give my view and ask you to add yours.

As it shapes at moment, we appear likely to pick up Lumumba (as part of Clark deal) and Frost (for second rounder), so comments are based on these deals going through.

Big ticks:

1) Footy department decided that we needed pace (at last) - Garlett (short term), Stretch (long term) and Harry O (quality on way).

2) Footy department decided that we needed to give ourselves the best chance at getting a superstar and kept picks No.2 and No.3 (sure we offered them up for Dangerfield who clearly would have fitted the superstar category, but it looks like we will have two stabs at obtaining a future gun (yes, I know we have cocked these sort of picks up in past five years, but eventually we have to get one right).

3) Footy department recognised we are a little light on for key defenders with loss of Frawley and picked up Frost (deal still pending, but highly likely).

Little ticks

1) Footy department did not pay overs for Garlett and second rounders for Lumumba and Frost appears pretty much on the money as to their market standing at moment.

No tick (just ticked off)

1) We have not traded out any of our under-performing contracted players to get back into the second round. While this policy represents great loyalty by Roosy to the four guys we all talk about on other forums, it means we are not playing the business game.

As a result (because we will have no pick from No.3 through to about No.70) we now have no chance of getting a host of players including two that we should have been especially keen to try and get.

Exhibit A: Oscar McDonald - a tall defender/forward who we know comes from good country stock because he is the brother of Tom. He is tipped to be a late developer like his bother and expected to be taken about pick 40.

Exhibit B: Nakia Cockatoo - a quick, skilled tall midfielder from the NT. I have said this before, we should by now have set up an academy in the NT and we should be owning the area. Instead we just take the money from the NT government and put very little back into the community up there. As a result when potential role models like Nakia come up, we can do nothing but watch them walk away and get drafted by other clubs. Nakia is expected to go anywhere from pick 20-40, so again we will miss out on someone that might have become our promotional wildcard in Darwin and Alice Springs.

My final comment is on pick No.2 and No.3.

Whilst we all know that Roosy has been keen on Angus Brayshaw for some time and his highlights show that he fits the tall, tough midfielder description to a tee, who should we be taking at pick No.3 with him?

I have watched highlights of the key kids from the carnival matches and I've got to say I am not majorly impressed with what McCartin or Peter Wright did, yet I lean towards Wright because of his potential ruck ability with the Russian most likely being one year away from retirement. But does anyone have a clear view on No.3 (don't say Petracca, he's off to St Kilda).

Sure we haven't (yet) traded out those under performing contracted players, do you know that we haven't tried hard to do so? And, there is still time. Maybe we will end up with a pick in the 20s or 30s for these guys.

IF number 3 is such a gamble, and IF the two you mentioned, McDonald and Cockatoo are such good prospects, THEN POSSIBLY there could be a big surprise and one of these COULD be a surprise packet at #3? Maybe.

It's been a slow trade period for every club, not just us, so don't use that as a point to be disappointed at Roos and our recruiting staff.

Garlett for a pack of sour and cream chips isn't a bad result, so, so far i am very happy, although i do agree we need to bring in a really good mid, preferably Dangerfield for Picks 2 and 23, or maybe a Shiel.

You're the most short sighted, unrealistic poster on this board outside of a few.