GOODBYE MITCH CLARK

What's depressing and sad is just how quickly and aggressively everyone has turned on him. I for one will wait for Mitch Clark to officially announce that he will not be at the Dees before I comment on him

I think we have been so worn down by the recent negative events surrounding MFC, that a lot of us find it hard to believe players or offer the benefit of the doubt when our trust (as supporters) has been breached so many times before.

Especially when the narrative for a lot of these stories gets led and fed by the player managers or club officials through the media, so that when the conclusion is reached, it was forecast and negotiated long before the end. We get drip fed all of the possibilities, so that by the time we get whacked, we know what’s coming.

Pick any topic from Scully’s defection, Beamer and River’s leaving the club, tanking investigation, etc., it feels like we were buttered up for the outcome well before the stories played out. As bizarre as the Clark situation is, I feel like we are being buttered up yet again.

I don't blame supporters for jumping to conclusions or being bitter. We’ve had to put up with an extraordinary amount in the last eight years.

I do wonder what conversations have been had behind the scenes at AFL house between all parties involved. This can’t have been a surprise to the AFL.

• Like 8

In terms of a Lumumba vs Mitch it seems fairly obvious:

Lumumba is the safe option (ironic given not long ago we were considering him a risk), but you know that he's been playing consistently for a while now. He's shown ability in recent years but this year has tapered off, but he also seems to fill a lack of speed and dash on the back line.

Mitch is the high risk, high reward. If he proves successful he could be a missing link to a team, if he fails it could blow up in the clubs face with filling a spot on a list and losing money.

I would still rather Mitch to stay but if we do get HL that is at least something.

What if he knew our offer. Wasn't happy. Got a call from the Pies wanting to know where he was at. Met them to see what they would offer to get a guage on what he could expect from other clubs.

Then went and met Roos to tell him of offer and what Melbourne could do, maybe even being prepared to take less to stay with us. Then Roos says I am not budging on offer do what you like.

What if our offer was $100000 for one year and Pies was $400000 for 3 years.

You put yourself first and take the over inflated offer from the pies, rather than the reasonable offer from the MFC. Pretty similar situation to Tom Scully if that's the case.

Sorry but he said they caught up over a coffee and discussed where he was at.

That was on Monday, the day of the interview - he reportedly met with Collingwood on the Friday before he met with Melbourne.

Incorrect, I heard Roos say he had spoken to MC a few weeks before this all blew up.

On PR's 360 segment he said he had spoken to Mitch and was wanting to meet him for coffee, he'd been trying to organise a catch up for 2 weeks (after speaking to Clark) but their schedules didn't match and for whatever reason it got 'messy'. He met with Collingwood (apparently - has this been confirmed anywhere?) before formally sitting down with PR.

It would help if I knew how well he's been treated to date. The article in The Age this morning implied that he had been generous in letting us off a contract which could have netted him a massive amount for a fourth year. Does anybody know if this is the case? Did we do the right thing by Him? Would we have had to pay another $750000 or whatever? Would there have been a non-performance clause?

I must admit, my initial response was - jeez, this guy's already taken a fortune from a struggling club and given nothing in return. Now? Well, I just don't know, but I'd like to.

My real fear is that this business of everybody wanting to go to the big, successful clubs - even if it is to help with your "recovery" - is another nail in our coffin.

It would be a generous move if he legitimately retired from the game, ie, never played at an AFL level again. My understanding is that under the premise of retiring, he organised for his remaining year (2015) to be paid out as a lump sum at a reduced rate (could have been 5% of what he would have earned, could have been 95%). I believe that the club will be able to include some (if not all) of the payout in this years salary cap, so if he was never playing again, yes he would be helping us (for next year) by freeing up a spot on the list and allowing us to spend more $$ (as his payout will fall in to this years cap).

• Like 1

Is Clark more likely to succeed and maintain good mental health if he takes a reduced contract with minimal pressure at Melbourne, or goes to a massive club like Collingwood on big dollars?

Imagine the Collingwood supporters turning on him if he doesn't regain his old form.

I mean from an outsiders perspective I can understand the idea of a fresh start, but there are so many other pressures and risks associated with going to a new environment. Change can be very stressful and induce anxiety in itself.

None of this makes much sense to me.

• Like 7

What's depressing and sad is just how quickly and aggressively everyone has turned on him. I for one will wait for Mitch Clark to officially announce that he will not be at the Dees before I comment on him

Well good on Ya!

[censored] orf Mitch, for even contemplating going to another club, particularly after how well we acted towards you early in 2014.

Don't want you now after your about face and declaration you don't want to be here anymore!

So magically after 6 months your depression is pretty much all better?

It simply doesn't work like that. (It's amazing how a $500k cheque could clear up all ailments).

I have a family member with this condition living with me that will attest to this.

The medics agree that it doesn't just stop like that..

A big con job beautifully played IMO.

• Like 4

Don't want you now after your about face and declaration you don't want to be here anymore!

You see, this is where we need just a wee bit of "calm the $$%^# down".

Please point me to where Mitch declaration where he said he doesn't want to be at the club. He has done one media interview on channel 7 and said he would like to be at the club. So he has said exactly the opposite of what you have posted.

Now I, like most, take this interview with a grain of salt - but there is so much conflicting information. Plenty of time to get your "hates on" when you have some facts to actually hate about.

• Like 3

Please point me to where Mitch declaration where he said he doesn't want to be at the club. He has done one media interview on channel 7 and said he would like to be at the club. So he has said exactly the opposite of what you have posted.

Now I, like most, take this interview with a grain of salt - but there is so much conflicting information. Plenty of time to get your "hates on" when you have some facts to actually hate about.

Well he did speak to Collingwood, that would be a good start. Edited by Al's Demons

OK but with the available evidence that looks about a 95% probability for mine

• Like 1

Is Clark more likely to succeed and maintain good mental health if he takes a reduced contract with minimal pressure at Melbourne, or goes to a massive club like Collingwood on big dollars?

Imagine the Collingwood supporters turning on him if he doesn't regain his old form.

I mean from an outsiders perspective I can understand the idea of a fresh start, but there are so many other pressures and risks associated with going to a new environment. Change can be very stressful and induce anxiety in itself.

None of this makes much sense to me.

I agree, I don't see how it is possible that any 'health professional' could recommend that course of action to a client, seems to be horrible advice. I smell BS.

We should do a month where we have Aussie starlets as our avatars. I've got dibs on Rose Byrne and will fight to the death anyone who tries to claim her.

I always had a thing for Tina Tomsen (Finlay from home and away) even though she doesn't "act" anymore.

I think MC would love to be at the Dees in 2015, as long as we bend over and fill his pockets with more cash and pay him what he was on before. That way he can sit on his arse and take photos of the skyline and plot his studio opening. I think that he has demonstrated really ordinary moral values. There is no way going to a big club pushing for a finals spot is going to be 'mentally easy'. If his shrink advised him of that then his shrink is Dr Nick from The Simpsons. He will be heavily scrutinised for walking out on the Dees and under the microscope every time he plays, best thing he could of done was to take a rooki contract with MFC, meet certyain criteria and get a bigger salary if/when he returns to the field consistently. No pressure. No long term commintment. The reasoning of his initial retirment and what he is now thinking of doing are so inconsistent. Up yours Clark

Edited by Leoncelli_36
  • Like 1

There are two types of AFL clubs: the door mats, and the matadors.

(apologies to Frank Underwood, House of Cards)

Which are we?

Not hard to work out is it.

But lets see if that changes over the next two months