Melbourne asks for draft assistance

dees189227

It has occurred to me that the AFL could have alternative strategies for dealing with the MFC. It could provide draft aid with an extra pick anywhere from 1 to early second round or several second rounders. Going by Mark Evans latest thought bubble that seems now unlikely to happen.

The alternative strategy, Plan B for 2015 maybe to use the FIXture to hide us away from the spotlight like some ugly, deformed child of the competition. You know the drill zero night matches, multiple Sunday twilights, play as many bottom 8 clubs as possible and shunt us interstate as often as possible. Oh hold on that was this year's draw! Maybe the AFL has already implemented plan B.

If it really was an equal draw and we were playing absolute rubbish games against the top teams regularly in prime time I think the AFL might be thinking harder on how to help our on field performance.

• Like 3

I'm still perplexed by the timing. What if we were to win the last two games? If we get thrashed we leave ourselves open to 'putting the cue-in-the-rack' accusation to strengthen the pp case. There must be a good reason for not waiting till at least the end of the H & A games.

Given that PJ is a smart cookie and wouldn't make such a bllunder, I assume they have built the case regardless of the outcome this year be it 4,5, 6 wins. I can see the case being built around the:

-obvious on-field under-performance over a number of years,

-we have already paid the price for not-tanking so don't punish us again and again

-total lack of depth at Casey as they have also been underwhelming and not good for player morale/development

-risk to the game and possible sponsorship if we have don't have sustainable improvement

Perhaps one of the most persuasive things might be if we can demonstrate that we really have a player development program to ensure that current and future young players are set up to succeed. Player development is really the key to our future success. We have and will get really good, possible great young players, so their development is THE major thing we need to get right to have a sustainable future.

If we can demonstrate we have such a program it might just get us the PP. Without it the perception and the reality will be that coming to MFC is a career killer and everyone will keep blaming the recruiting.

Time to fix the player development side of things, folks!!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

They obviously had the submission prepared and were waiting for the right moment to deliver it.

Agreed, but what makes this the right moment? Genuine question.

-we have already paid the price for not-tanking so don't punish us again and again

Quite right to repeat 'again and again'. We didn't get the PP last year because apparently we weren't punished enough for tanking earlier in the year.

Logic, consistency, proper process, AFL. Spot the word out of place.

Quite right to repeat 'again and again'. We didn't get the PP last year because apparently we weren't punished enough for tanking earlier in the year.

Logic, consistency, proper process, AFL. Spot the word out of place.

AFL

Do I get a price sue?

• Like 1

AFL

Do I get a price sue?

$7.99 there's a price !! :)

From todays AGE "Football boss Mark Evans made it clear this week that the priority selection had been retained only for use in dire circumstances – more drastic than that facing the hapless Demons. Evans even referred to human tragedies such as the death of a player." I would agree with another post that the loss of Mitch Clark to a debilitating medical condition and to a lesser extent Liam Jurrah would satisfy the AFL criteria. The implication was that this may be the AFL solution to players who get suspended for 2 years for drugs!!! Given the Mitch returning from injury was one reason the PP was knocked back last year opens the door for consideration this year given his premature retirement. Of all people Caro mentions this in her article today and too me this would be the most complain reason for the AFL to grant us a pick in order to replace Mitch.

I posted this on another thread but thought it might be better on here.

I understand EVERYTHING is our fault according to some.

Hogan's back injury missing his whole first year is our fault.

Clark's foot injury and depression likewise.

Jurrah's train wreck likewise.

Trengrove's broken foot likewise.

Number 9 of GWS leaving us, for the most ridiculous contract ever and paid by the AFL, all under their new rule likewise.

Clint Bartram's career ending knee injury likewise.

Toumpas' hip injury and appendicitis likewise.

I hesitate to mention the tragic death of promising and popular player Troy Broadbridge likewise.

Rivers, Moloney, Sylvia and probably Frawley leaving under a new AFL rule likewise.

Consecutive drafts being decimated, when we needed to rebuild, by giving all good players to expansion sides likewise.

Having the 2 PP's we have been given in poor drafts likewise.

Not tanking in the years where Reiwoldt and Kosi, Buddy and Roughy, Thomas and Pendles were available likewise.

Not being allowed to have academies likewise.

Not getting equal draws with the big clubs likewise.

Not having salary cap allowances that would let you bid for Buddy and Tippett likewise.

Not having a Judd/Visy rule allowed to us likewise.

I could go on forever.

But yes IT IS ALL OUR FAULT, TOTALLY, circumstances and luck have nothing to do with it.

PS. Don't give us a PP. In fact give us pick 100 for Chip leaving and take away all our other picks because the above might reoccur

• Like 4

Agreed, but what makes this the right moment? Genuine question.

We applied for PP because of how awful our list is.

What more proof does anyone need than what happened on the weekend?

We were embarrassed by an injury wrecked team of kids that were below us on the ladder.

Jackson may be a church mouse when he needs to be out there very loud - but he knows juxtaposition...

Carlton has had more PPs than us.

We are also the only club to have won games late in a year to deny ourselves a PP. And we did it twice. The Kruezer cup and I think in 1999.

I also suspect the timing of this has something to do with Chip..

• Like 1

The other aspect that is not being considered is financial.

I can sense we have supporters on Demonland who are at the end of their tether.

There must be a sizeable proportion who are thinking that the storm is looking like a better proposition to follow.

As to attracting new members ....

Unless members and prospective members get some hope our membership will plummet and it will be a case of tipping more money in or worse case folding/merging/relocating us

hearing the saints are upset we asked for a PP as they have had a worse year than us.

they can go and get stuffed. we were garbage for 3 years BEFORE they were in 2(3) GRAND FINALS.

oh how i wish we had that record

Saints are talking krap. They stuffed up last year with their eos decisions.

Perhaps Evans is actually setting the scene for us getting a pp by introducing the tradegy angle. Ie Clark and jurrah. It would be ironic if we got it and Clark came back to us

it would be a bloody miracle!

• Like 1

As long as we get pick 3 compo for Frawley then I can live with not getting a PP.

pick 3 WILL BE the PP

gillom reminds me of one of those upper class ponces in a monty python class skit

i never could see what the commiss saw in him other than someone easy to manipulate. smile and make them look more youthful

Hahaha yes. The Upper Class Twit. Perfect analogy :)

Perhaps Evans is actually setting the scene for us getting a pp by introducing the tradegy angle. Ie Clark and jurrah. It would be ironic if we got it and Clark came back to us

This is my thinking. Giving the footy public knowledge & criteria for the PP. Clark could well be the tipping point for the decision maker at the AFL.

gillom reminds me of one of those upper class ponces in a monty python class skit

i never could see what the commiss saw in him other than someone easy to manipulate. smile and make them look more youthful

wtycdk.jpg

• Like 4