Melbourne asks for draft assistance

dees189227

Glad they asked.

Think the answer will be no.

Certainly will not get 1. At best it would be 4 but more likely, first pick of second round.

I would rather a few picks that they made us trade for established players and then we use our normal picks for the draft.

It won't happen.

Can see the reasons given by Evans. You have Roos as Coach. Hogan had 4 possies in the VFL Sunday and he will win the Coleman next year. You lost Chip but you will draft a star who will win the Brownlow next year. Toumpas and Salem will be 2 of the greatest players to play the game. You will get Stretch and my mate tells me he will be better than Flower. I spoke to Watts and he told me he has been laying low so far and will play like a pitbull next year. You have got a new sponsor in Gatorade next year and it will make the boys kick straight. Your ruck coach tells me Spencer will be better than Sandilands next year. Etc etc etc.

I hope the answer is NO !! The sooner we start to not rely on handouts is the time this footy club takes responsibility and finds out the way to success is smart coaching, insightful picks when its our turn and a decision, if you are a player to do what others won't do to be successful and to work your ring of to achieve it, whatever it cost!!

• Like 3

I hope the answer is NO !! The sooner we start to not rely on handouts is the time this footy club takes responsibility and finds out the way to success is smart coaching, insightful picks when its our turn and a decision, if you are a player to do what others won't do to be successful and to work your ring of to achieve, whatever it takes!

But lets not take this too literally or we might find ourselves in Federal Court

• Like 1

I think you've forgotten how bad we were.,

were you there yesterday?

Don't forget the Giants were playing with 20 players for much of the game and 19 in the last quarter.

Beaten twice by the Giants once by the saints and twice by the Dogs this year. have lost eight in a row.

We are every bit as bad right now as in 2013

• Like 1

See Wikipedia for history of the PP. Interesting the secret AFL formula considers % and wins. We far exceed the 2006 - 2012 formula for a PP after the first pick. As has been said in this thread if we do not get one then there will never be a PP again. The only club hoping we get one will be the Saints.

Ironically under different circumstances swapping forwards and backs as we did against GWS, ie Garland, Dunn and Frawley would have caused a tanking uproar and investigations. In a MEDIA LED 'witch hunt' environment as we had in those days the Saints 'now' trading of players to obtain draft picks to draft kids which in turn will knowingly effect on field performance which will no doubt eventually lead to a good case for a PP could be construed as tanking. Fortunately those days are behind the AFL.

The FA compensation should be considered separately to the PP. Although in reality losing Frawley (if he goes) should help the PP case as we will be replacing quality with an unknown, untried kid.

Funnily enough I saw Garland at FF and Frawley at FB. It was when Garland kicked a goal for us.

Our third and last for the day.

In the fourth quarter.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-concedes-melbourne-could-receive-priority-pick-and-if-loses-james-frawley-could-have-top-three-draft-selections/story-fni5f91a-1226879331080

"AFL football operations manager Mark Evans would not debate hypotheticals, but indicated a special assistance selection, if awarded, would not fall in the first round."

Don't think it'll be pick 1, a small chance of a pick following where we finish so pick 3, and more likely a second round pick (IF WE EVEN GET ONE!!)

Draft picks don't change a culture.

Winning does.

If we won those winnable games earlier in the season, yesterday never would have happened.

But surly the point is we did not.

I guess you know the one about your aunty?

This is going to get ugly, and the trade period is going to be a mess. I think Roos will be absolutely lethal. Wouldn't be surprised if he delists 6 and replaces them with offcuts from other clubs, and trades 10 others (picks and players alike).

If he feels the list is irrepairably scarred he will be ready to hit the reset button, and I'd imagine part of this priority pick submission includes a guarantee to trade for established players so other teams can "win" out by offloading some older talent in exchange for an early second round pick.

Probably will also refer to the Clark situation (his return was a reason for denying a PP last year), and the diluting of talent in the draft over the expansion club era. Not to mention all the free agents bailing from our club every single year. Plus, didn't our last PP go to Scully whom we lost to the expansion clubs?

I think an end of first rounder and end of second rounder, with a guarantee to trade out all our players and avoid the draft, will be looked upon much more favorably.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-concedes-melbourne-could-receive-priority-pick-and-if-loses-james-frawley-could-have-top-three-draft-selections/story-fni5f91a-1226879331080

"AFL football operations manager Mark Evans would not debate hypotheticals, but indicated a special assistance selection, if awarded, would not fall in the first round."

Don't think it'll be pick 1, a small chance of a pick following where we finish so pick 3, and more likely a second round pick (IF WE EVEN GET ONE!!)

That was before we got thumped by 10 goals by an undermanned GWS

But surly the point is we did not.

I guess you know the one about your aunty?

No doubt.

Just don't think another draft pick is the answer.

Good coaching, good leaders and some self belief.

We've already bought the first one, know anyone who's selling the other two Old Dee?

Edited by mrtwister

I don't see the problem with asking the question. We couldn't be any more pathetic and laughable after Sunday's emasculating loss so it's not like it's out of character. What I would like to see from the AFL is some rationale behind the decision if they don't grant it. Just come out and scrap it if that's the case, because after 8 straight years of historic futility, it will take some topping to give a priority pick to anyone ever again.

• Like 2

The games we won this year were done so on effort. We all remember the Essendon game. The Adelaide game was the same. Carlton played like spuds and so did the Tigers but we still had to bust our nut to get the win. I'm attempting to say that when the players actually apply themselves good things can happen. You can't draft effort. If we were constantly attempting to play football and sucked I would be fine with draft assistance. But the lack of effort we have seen over the last month makes me think a extra pick wouldn't change the outcome of the last few games.

• Like 6

I don't want to say anything bad about my own club.. but I'm dead set embarrassed by this request for a Priority pick to the league.

• Like 4

No doubt.

Just don't think another draft pick is the answer.

Good coaching, good leaders and some self belief.

We've already bought the first one, know anyone who's selling the other two Old Dee?

Unfortunately No Mrtwister

That is our problem the second two cannot be fixed overnight they are going to take 3 to 5 years just to get to mid ladder status.

A PP will help but we need one every year for the next three years IMO.

We are in black hole and they are difficult to get out of.

I'm thrilled to find out that Melbourne fans have still got capacity to be embarrassed by anything we do. Humiliation has been my default setting since Round 2 last year. Give us everything, I don't care what unwashed fans of other teams think.

• Like 9

For what it's worth Robbo on 360 said he spoke to Evans earlier in the year who basically said there wouldn't be any PP's - if we do get one which I think is unlikely it will be ~20.

I don't want to say anything bad about my own club.. but I'm dead set embarrassed by this request for a Priority pick to the league.

well i'm embarrassed by this club, request or no request

so what's the difference

i want to see the list turned over and rebuilt asap

that requires PICKS (to draft or trade with)

if we take another 4 years to rebuild there will be no mfc

• Like 4

well i'm embarrassed by this club, request or no request

so what's the difference

i want to see the list turned over and rebuilt asap

that requires PICKS (to draft or trade with)

if we take another 4 years to rebuild there will be no mfc

I still think the Red and Blue jumper is the curse element dc.

Get rid of it and the curse is lifted.