Tom Boyd- Unhappy at GWS?

This has been mentioned from a few sources about the place. I don't know how likely it is that he'll walk, but I think everyone knew they'd gone one too many high picks on key forwards. I have heard a whisper that the Bulldogs are very much into him. I wouldn't be surprised if the Saints were also putting out feelers in his direction.

As for us, I think we have other needs that trump spending our first pick on another young tall forward. The loss of Clark has left a bit of a hole, but Dawes has years left in him and Hogan is coming along. We can pick up another developing tall in this draft and work on them for a few years like the good clubs do before needing to put them in the firsts.

Spot on. We need to concentrate on getting players who can deliver the ball to the forward 50 before we recruit a KPF.

• Like 3

I seriously can't believe any intelligent watcher of this footy club would think it would be correct to have to give up what we would have to give up to get a Boyd and then effectively prolong any chance of getting a midfield that isn't in the worst 2 in the AFL by more years.

We need midfielders, more midfielders then some elite running & kicking defenders before we need another monster forward.

• Like 1

I seriously can't believe any intelligent watcher of this footy club would think it would be correct to have to give up what we would have to give up to get a Boyd and then effectively prolong any chance of getting a midfield that isn't in the worst 2 in the AFL by more years.

We need midfielders, more midfielders then some elite running & kicking defenders before we need another monster forward.

We are also in desperate need of tall talent, particularly if Frawley goes.

We have one legitimate key back in Tommy Mac, one legitimate forward yet to play a game in Hogan and a workhorse in Dawes and Jamar on his last legs in the ruck.

Why do we think Casey are struggling? Yes a lot of the VFL guys are not to the standard but also they have a lack talls. We have no backups let alone top liners.

Clark left a big hole, Frawley will just make it deeper and we have to hope Hogan gets on the park. Big ask for a kid.

The reality is our list needs major surgery still and we need players in all positions if we are to be competitive let alone a finals chance.

• Like 2

would anyone seriously not have Boyd ?? :o

Of course most here would be delighted to have Boyd.....but at what cost, and who would we be missing out on to get him?

Mids, mids and more mids will no doubt have a far higher priority, of course quality matters for them too.

An A grade tall forward will trump a C grade mid, but not necessarily a B+ grade mid when more 'at least reasonable' mids are needed.

I trust Roos to make the right call. [PS please don't trawl back through ancient history and find a moment of delusion when I may have actually said 'trust in Ne**d' ;-( ]

• Like 1

Dear Grandson of a gun! Let me tell you friend, folks around here do not like unsubstantiations!! Even if they turn out accurate!

ok I'll buy in and given that some of my sources are very ah influential I'll take your info on board! I hope you are correct!

Keep up the good work!

By the look of the quotes above, it would seem GSof a G is one of those of whom you speak.

I'd be more surprised if Boyd was happy at GWS atm.

Highly rated talent, early draft pick, exceptional junior - kicking around in the two's!

Regardless of whether he is up to AFL at the moment, based on his history, it would be hard to suck it up - especially being such a good junior.

I would be more surprised if Boyd was happy at GWS atm. These guys are only human, they are trained to be competitive.

I think we'll see quite a few GWS guys leave this year, simply because they have too much top end talent to keep happy.

Starting the first few years of a career in the reserves, away from home and for a side that constantly gets flogged - is hardly inspiring.

Would go hard at Boyd

Hogan-Boyd combo would set us up for the next decade much like Franklin-Roughead did for the Hawks

get Boyd and then get the best midfielders we can get our hands on in the draft or via trade

• Like 1

Really?

I thought Patton has been fairly impressive, needs a full pre season and injury free run, it's always hard to shine in a terrible side

• Like 1

would anyone seriously not have Boyd ?? :o

We should have been awarded a PP last year (after only two wins). Boyd should already be on our list and this post redundant! If we go after him we would only be reclaiming what is rightfully ours!

• Like 1

Roos May want mids mids mids, but you can't be over zealous about one type of player.

Boyd would be a great get. We could move Hogan to CHF or even CHB he has a decent tank and could play most key positions.

It wouldn't be wrong for Roos to snap him up at the detriment to getting one mid-fielder.

• Like 2

hey this may blow your mind but guess what

We can get Boyd AND we can get midfielders

Its not one or the other

Amazing i know

• Like 1

While we need midfield talent we still need forward talent, we have see what injuries have done to what was looking to be a magnificent forward line last year, that is totally reliant on Dawes at the moment. We get the ball down in our forward line enough times to improve our win ratio if we have forwards who can kick goals. Roos will be trying to get the best deals he can through both trade and draft. Our midfield/team performance would not look anywhere near as bad if we could cut down our turnovers.

Even if Boyd was available, Stkilda and Brisbane are both lower on the ladder and need a key forward.. Hence they can offer pick 1 or 2, we at best should be able to offer pick 3.. GWS won't take our pick 3/4/5 when it can get theirs.

• Like 2

Good luck to them. Patton is a brute but a dumb, dumb footballer.

That's interesting, you were still interested in him a couple of months ago

"Let's worry about fixing our forward line next season. We've cultivated a great relationship with GWS's list managers and we can probably work out something with them (who knows, maybe Patton will want to come home"

I reckon its a pretty handy thing to have someone to kick it to.

Lose Frawley. Gain ~pick 4. Trade ~pick 4 for Boyd. Net result: James Frawley for Boyd? We'd be laughing.

So would GWS - at us for even suggesting it.