Match Preview and Team Selection - Round 14

Demonland

ANOTHER BAD MEMORY TO ERASE by George on The Outer

With Carlton maintaining its losing streak of 12 straight losses against Hawthorn, the pressure is now on Melbourne to remove the miserable record that it has against North Melbourne of a similar 11 straight losses.

The last time the Demons managed to overcome the Roos was way back in Round 20, 2006 when we defeated them in front of 29K at the MCG by 20.12 (132) to

12.10 (82). It was one of current skipper Nathan Jones' first games.

That was certainly an eternity ago, and the memories of a Melbourne side kicking 132 points in any game has long since faded.

The more recent memory is far, far more painful as North demolished the Demons less than twelve months ago - in Round 18, 2013.

That result was Melbourne's second largest losing margin in a year that the club and its supporters would surely want to forget completely.

Times are a little different nowadays.

THE GAME

Melbourne v North Melbourne on Sunday 22nd June 2014 at MCG at 4.40 pm

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall Melbourne 83 wins North Melbourne 75 wins 1 draw

At MCG Melbourne 54 wins North Melbourne 34 wins

Last five times Melbourne 0 wins North Melbourne 5 wins

The Coaches Roos 0 wins Scott 0 wins

MEDIA

TV Fox Footy Channel at 4:30pm (live)

RADIO - 3AW SEN ABC ABC Grandstand

THE BETTING

Melbourne to win $3.70 North Melbourne to win $1.28

LAST TIME THEY MET

North Melbourne 22.18.150 defeated Melbourne 4.4.28 at Etihad Stadium in Round 18, 2013

In modern day terms the Demons played like a lifeless pack of spuds (see also below)

THE TEAMS

MELBOURNE

B: Colin Garland, Lynden Dunn, Neville Jetta

HB: Jeremy Howe, Tom McDonald, Jack Grimes

C: Bernie Vince, Jack Viney, Daniel Cross

HF: Rohan Bail, James Frawley, Cameron Pedersen

F: Dean Kent, Chris Dawes, Jack Watts

FOLL: Mark Jamar, Nathan Jones, Dom Tyson

I/C: Matt Jones, Jordie McKenzie, Aidan Riley, Christian Salem

EMG: Sam Blease Dan Nicholson Dean Terlich

NO CHANGE

NORTH MELBOURNE

B: Luke McDonald, Scott D Thompson, Lachlan Hansen

HB: Shaun Atley, Michael Firrito, Aaron Mullett

C: Sam Gibson, Andrew Swallow, Levi Greenwood

HF: Nick Dal Santo, Robbie Tarrant, Brent Harvey

F: Aaron Black, Drew Petrie, Lindsay Thomas

FOLL: Todd Goldstein, Jack Ziebell, Ben Cunnington

I/C: Leigh Adams, Ryan Bastinac, Brad McKenzie, Robin Nahas

EMG: Liam Anthony, Ben Brown, Trent Dumont

IN: Brad McKenzie

OUT: Liam Anthony

It is interesting to contrast this with the side the Demons sent out onto the field that miserable day:

B: Dunn Pedersen Tapscott

HB: McDonald Frawley Clisby

C: Viney Trengove Grimes

HF: M Jones Watts Howe

F: Davey Dawes Fitzpatrick

FOLL : Gawn Sylvia N Jones

I/C: Blease Byrnes Toumpas

SUB: Kent

What a vastly different side that will present for the Red and Blue this week, less than 12 months later. Not only do we find Paul Roos coaching the side, and rebuilding confidence following all those shattering years, but the line-up across every line has been altered. In some cases, we have the same players but their form is a striking improvement over what they were producing last year (Dunn, Pedersen).

The painful outcome of last year looked like this:

MELBOURNE 1.0 3.2 4.4 4.4 (28)

NORTH MELBOURNE 3.5 6.9 14.12 22.18 (150)

GOALS

Melbourne: Tapscott Fitzpatrick Dawes Byrnes

North Melbourne: Bastinac 4 Black 4 Wells 2 Adams 2 Cunnington 2 Petrie 2 Mullett 2 Goldstein 2 Harvey Ziebell

BEST

Melbourne: N.Jones (some things never change) Sylvia McDonald Gawn Dunn Toumpas

North Melbourne: Goldstein Cunnington Harvey Hansen Thompson Bastinac Adams Ziebell

With a heart stopper of a result against the Bombers and a build-up of faith among the players and the supporters as a result, a very, very different outcome can be expected.

A 4.40pm start wont suit most supporters and North are notorious for low crowd numbers. However, the Demon army is rolling again. The last time they met a paltry 16K people turned up, but it was at Etihad stadium as well.

This time its at the G and finally we have a team that we can be proud of, so far greater numbers should be on the agenda.

• Like 1

Last year's game was the first time I'd ever left before three-quarter time. That third quarter was truly horrid. I watched all of the Essendon game last year but for the last 10 minutes. But that North game was harder to watch imo. They had given up, which was frustrating because they were in the game and playing respectable football up until half-time.

I remember sitting on level 1 where I hate sitting because there was no leg room and up on level 3 at least you can move, my 15 month old niece was restless so I think I was entertaining her most of the time which was a good thing, less time I had to watch the rubbish. It was just the worst game ever and I sat there not caring.

That was the game swallow did his Achilles. It was a poor crowd and its funny looking at that team. On paper it didnt look bad but compared to this year it will look even better. Plus the pederson that played last year is a whole lot different to the one running out on sunday.

I hope we get a good turnout and we get to make the noise this time.

Back to back wins for the first time in god knows how long will be an important milestone in our development. If it comes against the Kangas, who have had the wood on us for an eternity, it would be even more significant. It will be a tough match in the trenches, but I'm backing the Dees to make a huge statement, and keep Essendon off the back page of Monday's Herald Sun.

• Like 2

I must have blocked this game out of my mind, because I can't remember a thing about it. To lose by over a hundred points to North bloody Melbourne is embarrassing in the extreme.

That I regard North as only slightly less repulsive than Hawthorn does nothing to lessen my desire to see them ground to a pulp by the irrepressible meat-slicer that is Paul Roos footy.

• Like 5

We have a vastly different, beyond the point of recognition, team to the one fielded last year. Not necessarily all related to personnel, but to attitude and belief, as well as actually having a comprehensible game plan.

Here's hoping for back to back wins (whatever that means?)

• Like 1

Not sure what to expect from this. Partly because of the beltings this mob have given us in recent years, but also because of their current Jekyl and Hyde act.

If we are on from the very start, we can match it with them no matter which team shows up. If we are even a little bit off and they bring their A game, it won't end well.

My tip is there will only be a couple of goals in it this time. As to who comes out on top is anyone's guess.

We have a vastly different, beyond the point of recognition, team to the one fielded last year. Not necessarily all related to personnel, but to attitude and belief, as well as actually having a comprehensible game plan.

Here's hoping for back to back wins (whatever that means?)

Close to half the side will be different to last time. 10-11

I think back to back is what you do when a North supporter walks into the shower,

• Like 1

Wow. I had somehow managed to erase this from the memory bank completely too. Must be a trauma response.

It would be fair to say a second consecutive massive turn around is on the cards.

I think you are onto something there Nasher, I remember sitting through the birth of my 3 kids hearing my lovely wife calmly but ever so seriously tell me that she will NEVER go through that ever again. Only to later be told to simply put that down to the trauma of child birth and she has since forgotten all that she said. Ha, now I can bravely tell Mrs Oneday that she has only given birth 3 times, I have endured the same trauma almost yearly for the past decade.

Wow. I had somehow managed to erase this from the memory bank completely too. Must be a trauma response.

It would be fair to say a second consecutive massive turn around is on the cards.

Me three. Weird because i'm pretty sure i went

Not sure what to expect from this. Partly because of the beltings this mob have given us in recent years, but also because of their current Jekyl and Hyde act.

If we are on from the very start, we can match it with them no matter which team shows up. If we are even a little bit off and they bring their A game, it won't end well.

My tip is there will only be a couple of goals in it this time. As to who comes out on top is anyone's guess.

I reckon a big part of why North has had the wood on us is that prior to the Neeld period (when we just rubbish) we were quite attacking but so were the Roos. Two similar styles but they have been better and their attacking style completely exposed our weak defense. Things are different now and i think we are a much better match up for them (and Geelong for that matter), style wise.

• Like 3

Close to half the side will be different to last time. 10-11

I think back to back is what you do when a North supporter walks into the shower,

Its an interesting comparison. What really nails it is the improvement of most of those players from last year.

I sat through that game.....funnily enough, I only remember 2 things about the game....Tapscott's goal in the opening minutes and Swallow being carried off.

I would like to thank CUB, its constituents and all their associates, the shareholders and the mighty bar staff at Telstra Dome for erasing my memory that afternoon.

Edited by jumbo returns
  • Like 6

Melbourne team: round 14
B: Colin Garland, Lynden Dunn, Neville Jetta
HB: Jeremy Howe, Tom McDonald, Jack Grimes
C: Bernie Vince, Jack Viney, Daniel Cross
HF: Rohan Bail, James Frawley, Cam Pedersen
F: Dean Kent, Chris Dawes, Jack Watts
FOLL: Mark Jamar, Nathan Jones, Dom Tyson
I/C (from): Aidan Riley, Christian Salem, Jordie McKenzie, Matt Jones, Dean Terlich, Sam Blease, Daniel Nicholson
IN: Dean Terlich, Sam Blease, Daniel Nicholson
OUT: –

Melbourne team: round 14B: Colin Garland, Lynden Dunn, Neville JettaHB: Jeremy Howe, Tom McDonald, Jack GrimesC: Bernie Vince, Jack Viney, Daniel CrossHF: Rohan Bail, James Frawley, Cam PedersenF: Dean Kent, Chris Dawes, Jack WattsFOLL: Mark Jamar, Nathan Jones, Dom TysonI/C (from): Aidan Riley, Christian Salem, Jordie McKenzie, Matt Jones, Dean Terlich, Sam Blease, Daniel NicholsonIN: Dean Terlich, Sam Blease, Daniel NicholsonOUT: –

I'm sorta reading......no change.