Who are the best six kicks in our mighty team?

Bobby McKenzie

really surprised to see Howe in so many lists.

I consider his set shot kicking below average and his field kicking just average.

For mine I think a top 6 would include

Watts

Dunn

Salem

Strauss

N.Jones

Kent

The only elite kicks are IMO Watts, Salem and Vince. Next level are Dunn (long but not always accurate), N. Jones when he kicks long, Kent (but need to see more of what he has) Tyson (when he gets it right but still makes too many clangers). Hmmm that is 7 the rest are iffy

• Like 1

I think a more relevant question is who are the worst kicks???

I would say

Matt Jones

McDonald

Mckenzie

Jamar

Viney

I think someone like Viney will improve with age. At the moment, he is not a long kick. This will improve. I'd put JKH in the same category.

Tyson though I think is an inaccurate short range kick, but he sure seems to be able to slott them in from 50 meters out at crucial times in games. Garland at times is an inaccurate short range kick also. Chip needs to work on his goal kicking

Watts

Salem

Dawes

Vince

Jetta

Trengove

I love Tyson, but his kicking is by no means a strength of his.

Tyson is very hit and miss I feel - as rjay says his kicking has great penetration and he lays out some great 40m pin point passes but fluffs some easy ones.

Here's my top 6. Watts the best and the following 5 in no particular order:

Watts

Salem

Kent

N. Jones

Dunn

Viney

Wouldn't have Jetta in there; he's doing some great things at the moment but I don't think he's in our top 6 kicks. Viney is very underrated I feel and his left foot is pretty dangerous at times, not missing many targets and often out of congestion.

Tommy Mac standing still or running .

Dean Terlach when he is running

Jack the Grimes when not under pressure

Jordie when he is under pressure

Spence

Seriously :

Watts,Watts, Watts, Salem,Howe, Dunn , Jack G (when he concentrates) ,Dawes

In no particular order these are the guys I'd like kicking for my life:

Jack Watts

Christian Salem

Lyndon Dunn

Jeremy Howe

Bernie Vince

Chris Dawes

Depends a bit on the context:

Watts to deliver to the leading forward

Salem or Dawes set shot - Dawes if > 50 m

Dunn out of deep defence

Vince on the run from 50+ m (if the bloody maggot doesn't recall it !)

Kent - limited exposure this season but looking pretty damn good

No love for Strauss? Though he's not exactly in the team, is he...

Can't tell how good a kick he is unless he gets the ball.

Edited by monoccular

You forgot Terry Gleeson!

Elaborate please? Can't remember him either....

Terry was one of our ruckman (?#28) in the mid to late 1950s - our Golden years, in tandem with Big Bob Johnson #16. Can't remember seeing him kick. Maybe he didn't / couldn't

I think a more relevant question is who are the worst kicks???

I would say

Matt Jones

McDonald

Mckenzie

Jamar

Viney

I think someone like Viney will improve with age. At the moment, he is not a long kick. This will improve. I'd put JKH in the same category.

Tyson though I think is an inaccurate short range kick, but he sure seems to be able to slott them in from 50 meters out at crucial times in games. Garland at times is an inaccurate short range kick also. Chip needs to work on his goal kicking

It took his dad quite a few years but in the latter part of his career he became a fairly decent kick. Pretty bloody awful early though, as I recall. (Made up for it with ridiculous courage and attack on ball, and the man in a fair but brutally hard manner).

Any discussion on best kicks should consider (a) right foot long, (b) left foot long, © right foot short and (d) left foot short. You could also include set shots v on the run as well as those trick shots for goal invented (or, at lest, perfected) by Peter Daicos.

On that basis, the best kick on the ground last Sunday was Michael Hurley, the only player who could kick with either foot naturally.

As I haven't yet seen Salem kick with his right foot, I think Jack Watts is our best. But Salem may turn out to be better.

Best....

Watts

Chopper Lovell

Garry Lyon

Warren Dean (Dist.)

I reckon JKH (I haven't seen as much of Salem) will have a good record by the time he is finished.

There needs to be some accuracy formula that takes into account degree-of-difficulty variables such as angle (pressure is a harder one, but Salem's was max pressure I would have thought).

As far as non-MFC, Jack Riewoldt is a dead-eye...apart from last week.

Watts' kicking skill allows him to be a bastard now and again

Dean Kent had an urgent requirement at training today and raced off to the nearest tree, unfortunately because the group was training in the middle of the ground, this left him only about 30 metres from the fence and all the other players getting a drink, Watts picked up a ball, took one step, kicked it under the fence, and it bounced perfectly towards Kent who was furiously concentrating on the job on hand, as there was a female approaching (much to everybody elses' amusement), Kent was kneeling on one knee against the tree, the ball took it's final bounce just before him and cleared his head by about an inch....to cheers....

• Like 1