Dawesy

Ted Lasso

The Pies must be spewing they went after Lynch to solve their ruck/forward combination issue or whatever they thought it was and as such disposed of Dawes.

In fairness to Lynch though, I was watching our game against Port in Busselton on the weekend and got talking to a bloke who claims he was a very good mate of the Q Stick. Reckons he's injured etc and will still make it back to the firsts. Personally I can't see it with Witts and Grundy on the way up... Could be wrong but honestly WGAF.

Dawes, as long as he stays fit, has really found a groove and is proving to be another decent signing during Neelds short tenure. It's amazing what a great coaching group can extract from individuals.

• Like 1

The Pies preferred Quentin Lynch,wonder how he'll play on QB.

LOL

Chris seemed to be eagerly looking forward to this game.

Hope he has a huge one.

When I saw Dawes, Toumpas and Salem playing Richmond each with a similar beard and swarthy skin colour, I thought we'd invested in a set of life-size babushka dolls, Dawes being the outer doll, Toumpas the mid and Salem the one on the inside.

haha..nice.

I'm so glad we got Dawes in the fallout rather than getting Lynch.

• Like 1

Im glad dawes said that comment really irks me when a journo said to him about how its melbourne's final. He is a different player this season and maybe its because he is fit.

But his tackling pressure and marking has been great. Im so glad he is back on monday.

Heard someone the other day refer to him as General Dawes after the way he goes about his footy, direction/energy to other players and his leadership.

Couldn't agree anymore and what a role model for Hogan.

He perfectly complements Brigadeer Dunn, Colonel Garland & Major MacDonald in the back line. Let's hope Captain Jack lifts and shoulders his part in the defensive structure!

Edited by jimbo1982
  • Like 1

I agree that he's been a really fantastic pickup for us & I highly rate him & his game.

Pies fans quickly forget this guy assisted them to a flag...I hope he has an absolute cracker against the Pies...and he will want too.

Hows Lynch going Collingwood???? Good? Nice replacement for Dawes wasnt he A ha ha haaa...bah bowwww

Dawesy's Leadership is outstanding & he says what he thinks within reason in regard to the state of play.

Leads to the ball hard!

Chases hard!

Gives 2nd & third efforts!

Whacks blokes with whopping hip n shoulders when required too..

And generally kicks straight for goal.

Even if he kicks 2 goals its everything else he does on the field that I think we all rate.

Sign him up for another 3 now.

Thanks for choosing Melbourne Dawesy!

• Like 1

I want all of our "recycled" players to play out of their skins against their old clubs. It has happened to us for years where our old players better against us then other teams. Why not us this time. Vince did it lets hope Dawes does on monday.

I think he's more likely to be an administrator.

Especially with his legal background.

Tend to agree, he is very knowledagle in a broad sense and more worldly than the average footballer. Potential future AFL CEO material. Edited by america de cali

But his tackling pressure and marking has been great. Im so glad he is back on monday.

Love this guy so much but slightly disagree - I would truly be salivating if his marking was great - it isnt . He doesn't clunk enough marks. The beauty of Dawes vs a Cloke - if Cloke doesn't clunk marks he is of no use to Collingwood. Dawes, whether he takes marks or not, is an entirely different animal - his work off the ball and the little things he provides cannot be underestimated - he is far from a one trick pony. If Dawes could grab more marks he would be an All Australian star.

• Like 1

Love this guy so much but slightly disagree - I would truly be salivating if his marking was great - it isnt . He doesn't clunk enough marks. The beauty of Dawes vs a Cloke - if Cloke doesn't clunk marks he is of no use to Collingwood. Dawes, whether he takes marks or not, is an entirely different animal - his work off the ball and the little things he provides cannot be underestimated - he is far from a one trick pony. If Dawes could grab more marks he would be an All Australian star.

Disagree, if cloke doesn't clunk marks he still warrents the best defender watching him like a hawk, and often two defenders because of his one on one strength, but I take your point, Dawes hard leading, creating an option and Leadership are things Cloke lacks.

Disagree, if cloke doesn't clunk marks he still warrents the best defender watching him like a hawk, and often two defenders because of his one on one strength, but I take your point, Dawes hard leading, creating an option and Leadership are things Cloke lacks.

I agree with that - but Dawes ( like all number one forwards) also attracts the number one defender and as we have seen - is often double teamed.

The sad thing about Cloke - 3 years ago he used to run his opponents off their feet. He was dangerous close to goal but also used to run up to the wing. That has stopped and he is now one dimensional. ( I hope he is one dimensional on Monday).

Side note - that is why it is disappointed that Clark is not playing - who do you send the number one defender to ? Will be happy with Frawley continuing to improve as a forward and Hogan coming in. Will give the opposition a tremendous headache - do you send your third best defender to Dawes, Frawley or Hogan ?

To be fair, Cloke has taken over 100 more contested marks in the past 5 years than any other player. That's consistent. He also draws the best key defender every week, sometimes a couple, which is allowing the likes of Elliott, White and Fasolo to look pretty good. It's clearly his goal kicking that is wildly inconsistent, and as you say his ability to involve himself in the game in other ways like Dawes does with his work off the ball.

It's annoying that Cloke got to shake out some of the cobwebs against the Saints last week. He will still need a lot of attention on Monday afternoon.

I agree with that - but Dawes ( like all number one forwards) also attracts the number one defender and as we have seen - is often double teamed.

The sad thing about Cloke - 3 years ago he used to run his opponents off their feet. He was dangerous close to goal but also used to run up to the wing. That has stopped and he is now one dimensional. ( I hope he is one dimensional on Monday).

Side note - that is why it is disappointed that Clark is not playing - who do you send the number one defender to ? Will be happy with Frawley continuing to improve as a forward and Hogan coming in. Will give the opposition a tremendous headache - do you send your third best defender to Dawes, Frawley or Hogan ?

then you consider the 196 cm very mobile Watts is almost going to outsize his opponent every week and is capable of kicking bags of goals and standing up when needed

Hogan I think will become every bit as good a forward as clark was in time, and Pederson is becoming more than handy as well

It's really a heartbreaker when you pause to think what we'd be like with Clark still in the side. He and Dawes working in tandem would've been something special imo. Best not to think about it.

If Hogan returns wouldn't that mean Chip returns to the backline? I don't see Pedersen being dropped with the way he's contributing atm.

• Like 1