The Jack Viney bump that never was!

Matt Demon

This is the same tribunal that suspended Jack Trengove for a body slam is it not? Georgiou got bodyslammed on Saturday night and not a bloody whisper. In fact the whole commentary team lead by that one eyed adelaide [censored] Ricciuto, Firestarter Dwayne and the great silverbacked one Dunstall all thought it was a hell of a joke to see.

Inconsistant decisions by old boys posing as pseudo judiciary types is stuffing this game up to a level that it is not a shadow of what it once was.

Exactly - pretty sure it was the same 3 bozos on the tribunal as well.

Your comment about the bodyslam on Georgiou is spot on as well.

• Like 2

In order to sustain this charge, the Tribunal has to have believed on this evidence that Viney was not contesting the ball, or alternatively if he was contesting the ball, he had a realistic alternative way to contest the ball than what he did.

How anyone, let alone former AFL players, come to this conclusion is staggering.

Must be appealed, not for policy reasons (which are obviously also in our favour), but legally. This decision cannot stand.

Same penalty as Daniel Merrett for intentionally sticking out an elbow and collecting a GC player.

Great system we have!

And Shaun McKernan doing the same thing last year, elbowing the West Coast player in the head - 2 weeks.

Gerard Healy and Dwayne Russell

Two losers that have never been taken seriously in their lives and never will be

Both hate Melbourne so no surprise there. I hope they never invite Healy to any Melbourne event, ever.

• Like 2

BASTARDS! (that's the most polite thing I can say right now, impossible to hide my anger)

Edited by Deeoldfart

Gooses.

Fair dinkum this code is going to find itself with less and less followers each year if this keeps up.

• Like 1

Any downside to an appeal? Can they increase the penalty?

The first downside is the $5,000 fee. If we win we get $2,500 back, but at a minimum we're $2,500 for even trying.

Otherwise yes, I'd assume the Appeals Board will have the power to vary the Tribunal's penalty, which could make it higher.

Which explains:

2 game ban.

Medium impact for a bump he was "guilty" of putting a guy out for 6 weeks.

Right.

I would not be surprised at all if the reasoning was to give him 2 weeks as an incentive to not appeal.

The thing that shows this is a broken system is that either:

A) Viney chose to bump and broke someone's jaw--in which case he should get 4 weeks, or;

B) He didn't choose to bump and the broken jaw is incidental--in which case he should be found not guilty.

Instead, neither of those options is taken and he gets 2 weeks instead. Why?

• Like 4

This is red hot.

Would perhaps accept the two weeks if Viney got the opportunity to shirt-front each of the tribunal members for being so utterly incompetent.

Bloody joke. Only booze will calm me down at the moment.

Edited by Ron Burgundy
  • Like 1

If they appeal can he end up getting more than 2 weeks?

The AFL will find some way of turning an appeal into a 6 month long investigation - from which their conclusion would be "well theres no real definition for a fair bump"

MELBOURNE midfielder Jack Viney has been found guilty of rough conduct by the AFL Tribunal and is suspended for two matches.

Viney was sent straight to the Tribunal after his bump on Tom Lynch broke the Adelaide forward's jaw.
Many believed Viney should be cleared and the verdict has sparked immediate outrage.
Former Hawthorn great Dermott Brereton said on radio - moments following the verdict - he would not attend the AFL's Hall of Fame dinner in protest.
I love the support of the AFL community
Edited by Young Dee
  • Like 3

Allegedly can only appeal if we have new evidence? (according to the newsreader chick on SEN)

Threaten to take it to court instead. The AFL don't like that and seem to back down at a rate of knots...

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.