Post match discussion - Round 7

Demonland

Go back and watch the game - particularly the first quarter and see how many times he miskicked it.

A couple of times he overkicked it in second and third quarter but I wonder if you are being as harsh on him as you are on other players.

I would have thought his courage dropping into the hole in first term was crucial to our superb start.

You may have to get over an anger that stems from last year and realise that he's stepped up bigtime this year.

Yes he'll still make the odd mistake but tell me which defenders go through error-free each week.

I watched it again last night. It may have been 2.30am, but he was still making the same stupid, costly mistakes. I don't question his desire, effort or courage, just his ability as a footballer.

Further, there's also a difference between making the occasional error and making them consistently. Tommy Mac has been experiencing some regular brain fades as of late, but he's proved himself and clearly has the capacity to be an athletic and commanding defender. Besides run and the things I've mentioned above, what does Terlich provide? He's playing arguably one of the most important roles in a football side. His disposal and decision making will cost us matches.

Edited by AdamFarr

My quote won't work again..so Adam Farr ...give it a rest on Terlich, it is becoming as tiresome as your Grimes rant, which bit of not many agree with you don't you get, I don't care if there is the occasional mistake as long as the effort is there...same as Roos

The ladder is tight now. Big chance to climb some serious rung positions in the next 2 weeks if the players are ready.

It's gunna be a big ask coming back from Adelaide and beating the dogs.

I think the next two games are very winnable, 7 day turn around to the doggies helps.

Richmond are down in confidence , so if we are in the game late we are a chance! They will wilt.

The most enjoyable thing about these wins is against who, sides we never beat! I'd love to claim one more scalp, someone finals bound! North?

Realistically we could win 6-8 this year which would be awesome!

• Like 1

I just don't see it. He turns the ball over or makes critical errors in clutch situations. When Adelaide kicked their last (lr was it second last goal), they won the centre clearance and Grimes drops an uncontested chest mark 20m out directly in front. He certainly read the ball well early (this is definitely his strength) and managed to intercept or spoil well, but whenever he has the ball in his hands, he rarely hits targets or makes the right decisions.

If you don't see it, what can possibly be said?

Jack Grimes has played more good games than bad and can win you a match with a punch of the footy.

As your post suggests - you are taken by clangers and mistakes.

Good players make them, because they get the footy, that is the risk you take when you go and get the footy.

It's the safe players that get easy kicks and let others do the hard things that you don't want too many of.

You say he screwed up a mark in the back line, I say he screwed up a great reading of the play.

• Like 4

It's gunna be a big ask coming back from Adelaide and beating the dogs.

But it's a 'big ask' that we have to answer if we are going to improve as a side. The Doggies are very beatable and we need to put them to the sword on Saturday night to really take that next step forward. There should really be no excuses.

must win this week.

We must.

Part of this trajectory is to start turning "surprise wins" into back to back wins and then into winning streaks.

Would like Dwayne Russell to eat his words from yesterday about "this one isn't going to script."

You know what Dwayne, it was going to the script.

Roos has a script, and you just got to witness the first act in person.

• Like 3

Two comments

Jack watts - he will have good games and he will have bad games but as long as he brings that kind of work ethic every week I'll be happy.

JKH - he is just so clean when he goes near the ball. Rarely if ever fumbles - first time pick ups at full tilt. We got a real gem with him. I still maintain he does not exceptional speed. He does have exceptional moves.

• Like 1

But it's a 'big ask' that we have to answer if we are going to improve as a side. The Doggies are very beatable and we need to put them to the sword on Saturday night to really take that next step forward. There should really be no excuses.

Totally agree with what u r saying Wiseblood and hopefully we will win but will be a big effort if it happens.

• Like 1

Terlich and Matt Jones have both improved since last season, when they were both very solid

Some great bargain draft picks there for Todd VIney

I think does very good and very bad. Saturday he had minimal bads. I am critical of his disposal. Clean that up and he looks great.

We must.

Part of this trajectory is to start turning "surprise wins" into back to back wins and then into winning streaks.

Would like Dwayne Russell to eat his words from yesterday about "this one isn't going to script."

You know what Dwayne, it was going to the script.

Roos has a script, and you just got to witness the first act in person.

As I said yesterday the Dwainpipe needs a laryngectomy

Yep it was very disappointing when we beat Carlton and the next week came out and put on a disappointing effort against GC. but its good to hear dawes and viney come out and say we need to back it up next week. Apparently that the message from Roos after the game to. We beat the dogs once last year when we were at our worst, winning 2 in a row would make a world of difference and will shoot us up the ladder.

My quote won't work again..so Adam Farr ...give it a rest on Terlich, it is becoming as tiresome as your Grimes rant, which bit of not many agree with you don't you get, I don't care if there is the occasional mistake as long as the effort is there...same as Roos

AF has given his opinion on Terlich's disposal.

None of the debate is personal or offensive.

Your blind ranting is getting tiresome.

• Like 3

Mistakes (particularly turnovers from half back) result in losses. Competitive is great but why not more? We didn't beat Adelaide just by competing. Particularly the first half it was largely due to some great skills.

What evidence is there that Clisby can't compete just as well as Terlich can in regards to tackling, in the air, chases etc.

The main reason I want Terlich out and Clisby in is because Terlich seems to be really down on confidence and Clisby is stringing together games in the best. I understand keeping the team together but it comes a time where a change makes sense.

I loved the game from Grimes. The fact that he could get into position with no player around on occasion and take intercept marks shows his smarts. I'm sure Sando would have tried to get a player next to him at all times. Yes he stuffs up on occasion but I put most of that down to him always being in the highest pressure position on the ground. Standing still waiting for a contested mark is hard enough. Do that with the game on the line and also knowing each week a monster forward can come through at anytime and knock you out cold and you may stuff up every now and then. Then take the mark, check your head is still on your shoulders straighten up and read the play and for the love of god don't screw up the hardest kick on the ground. This is his task every week. He gets a pass from me.

• Like 5

Yep it was very disappointing when we beat Carlton and the next week came out and put on a disappointing effort against GC. but its good to hear dawes and viney come out and say we need to back it up next week. Apparently that the message from Roos after the game to. We beat the dogs once last year when we were at our worst, winning 2 in a row would make a world of difference and will shoot us up the ladder.

For anyone else that's a Liverpool fan; to quote Steven Gerrard, "we go again".

This week's gone, we have to back it up next week.

• Like 2

Jetta and Grimes both played their best games for the club I thought. Terlich was very good as well, sometimes his disposal lets him down but he rarely makes wrong decisions, his attack on the contest is great also.

Jetta's biggest problem is apparently he doesn't have a head or shoulders according to the umpires....

• Like 6

Just watched the replay. Really happy with:

Bail's first quarter

Jetta's game

Howe's form across half back picking up

Jamars mark

JHK's footy smarts

Cross's desperation in the last quarter

Vince's game

How well we did with NJones being held quiet

Pederson putting his body on the line

Roos' coaching - Adelaide have been a scoring machine

and finally, Dawes. What a competitor he is. Just makes the rest of our guys walk taller. Its a real shame Hogan is not out there with him - and Clark for that matter. Hogan will learn a lot from playing next to someone like Dawes.

Forgot Grimes. Great game. Kept putting his body on the line by backing back into the hole. Very brave. Brilliant, possibly game saving spoil in the last quarter.

Edited by jnrmac
  • Like 1

Terlich does turn it over too much but he he is always the first man to the next contest to make amends. Also, Frawley, Rivers, Leoncelli, one of the Febeys were horrible kicks early on and they turned out ok. There have been tons of people who got better, Terlich should not be replaced just yet.