• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Post match discussion

Demonland

Mckenzie the tackling machine 2 tackles with his 10 disposals(9 hand balls).

Jetta, Watts, Mckenzie, Spencer, Bail, Terlich... Time to cut the emotional attachment and delist these players, their disposal puts pressure on their team mates time ago and Watts doesn't try- jogs around with no effort.

I'm blaming the players, not the umpires.

• Like 2

Think we'll see quite a few changes after that one. So many skill errors and Watts is now exposed for all to see. We'll be a much better side with Kent, Hogan and Garland playing. Can drop some deadweight.

And I still rate Evans, that was a great goal. He's a sneaky kick that guy. JKH fantastic with a lot of flare, which so much of our team lacks.

Dont know about Kent but like Evans. Need garland back, how did he go today? Apparently Salem played a blinder?

• Like 1

Game was there to be won, but GC (with a little help from the umpires) did enough to take the wind out of our sales. There were some frustrations and there were positives. No doubt there is improvement but we went into our shell way too much and at times there was not enough hard running. Watts had a bad game today but I can understand why at times he doesn't do hard leads, because even when he does they don't honour it enough.

Too many players drifted in and out of the game, and unfortunately we collectively switched off in the 2nd quarter. That was the difference in the end.

8 points flatters us but probably more a sign that we weren't going to pack it in and that alone is a good positive to take away.

• Like 2

Mckenzie the tackling machine 2 tackles with his 10 disposals(9 hand balls).

Jetta, Watts, Mckenzie, Spencer, Bail, Terlich... Time to cut the emotional attachment and delist these players, their disposal puts pressure on their team mates time ago and Watts doesn't try- jogs around with no effort.

I'm blaming the players, not the umpires.

of Jodies 10 disposals he had 5 clangers and also gave away 4 frees so nett positive output was not so great.

• Like 3

A lack of run all game killed Melbourne.

You could hear the frustration in the stands as players looked up with the ball and saw 17 flat-footed teammates.

There was no movement, none.

This contributed heavily to Melbourne taking so long to dispose of the ball.

howe moving forward was when we came back into it, he needs to stay forward and play the link up role, jones is our best mid, stayed on ablett to long
  • Like 2

On the tram Was at the game . . . Watts is criticised often . He tried just wasnt his day . Team stats- wins -plus for hitouts . Watts would be a superstar in a hawks jumper .

Team . . .

Suns were too quick , and too big in attack . We need Garlo but we need someone bigger for a a defensive matchup .

Go dees

• Like 4

Watts needs to be played at Casey.

I wonder what we would get for him in a trade.

• Like 1

It's good to see our fans are not happy with honourable losses. Still, we have to keep in mind how far back we are coming from and take the positives out of the game.

A few random thoughts. Our midfield has improved markedly and our make shift forward line is doing the job. Backline was a weak area today with probably the worst game I've seen from McDonald. Our entire team will benefit from Hogan in and Frawley (despite he's fantastic form up forward) shifted back to take a Key forward. I am looking forward to Garland making a quick return as well. Tyson was down today but not sure I would've subbed him. My candidates for that would've been Watts, Jetta or McKenzie.

The one major positive for me. I watched the game thinking we could win and thought we were still in it throughout the whole game. Haven't really felt like that since 2011.

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 3

Correct me if I am wrong.. But since round 1 Vince have been average.. Poor disposal..

I thought Dawes was Good.. Had he kicked 4.2 instead of 2.4 would of been best on easily!

Edited by Laces Out

It's good to see our fans are not happy with honourable losses. Still, we have to keep in mind how far back we are coming from and take the positives out of the game.

A few random thoughts. Our midfield has improved markedly and our make shift forward line is doing the job. Backline was a weak area today with probably the worst game I've seen from McDonald. Our entire team while benefit from Hogan in and Frawley (despite he's fantastic form up forward) shifted back to take a Key forward. I am looking forward to Garland making a quick return as well. Tyson was down today but not sure I would've subbed him. My candidates for that would've been Watts, Jetta or McKenzie.

The one major positive for me. I watched the game thinking we could win and thought we were still in it throughout the whole game. Haven't really felt like that since 2011.

I thought our midfield today was a large reason for our loss. Second quarter clearances we were totally uncompetitive in. Spencer gave us nothing today, which didn't help.

Agree with the sentiment though - we're now playing competitive footy at least, even with a side like Gold Coast who are pushing for a finals berth.

Spencer 3 disposals -hopeless giraffe! Everything that needs to be said about Watts has been said - disgraceful. Players like Bail can't put 2games together. McKenzie- no future. Another big clean out needed

Spencer - dominated the ruck and put our midfielders in with a chance to win clearances

Bail - Kept Harbrow to 14 touches

Whilst they didn't have great games they largely did their job. Injuries mean we don't have the classy players (say Gawn and Kent) in to replace them right now. You're blaming the wrong guys.

Spencer - dominated the ruck and put our midfielders in with a chance to win clearances

Bail - Kept Harbrow to 14 touches

Whilst they didn't have great games they largely did their job. Injuries mean we don't have the classy players (say Gawn and Kent) in to replace them right now. You're blaming the wrong guys.

Cannot agree with that assessment of Spencer - he was beaten in the ruck today and his hit outs were relatively useless.

Bail was alright, not our best but not our worst. Plenty of players below Bail in the pecking order.

Very poor by Roos to tag Ablett with Jones,put us a clearance mid down and that's when the pressure around the contest dropped markedly and they kicked 3 quick goals.

If Jordie isn't in the team to tag,what's he doing in the team???

Liking Dawes,playing better than he can

Prefer Howe up forward but his kicking clearly isn't AFL standard

Chip can't take a chest mark!!!

• Like 2

The second quarter was a complete drop off in effort. The second half we kind of played up to our potential.

We are largely limited by 3 things:
- Foot skils

- Run

- Contested ball grunt both winning it and tackles that actually stick

The run got better as the game went on until we tired (as did they). Unfortunately we can't find players who can do all of the above. It's going to have to mean dropping guys and finding guys who can contribute the best.

The other thing we need is just more and more football training in playing smart. Jack Grimes' attempted spoil on David Swallow where he had him cold with a run and jump yet instead chose to walk up behind him then spoil over the top was a great example of a basic mistake from a reasonable player. Some of these guys need re-education and I think it can happen it just wont overnight.

• Like 1

I thought our midfield today was a large reason for our loss. Second quarter clearances we were totally uncompetitive in. Spencer gave us nothing today, which didn't help.

Agree with the sentiment though - we're now playing competitive footy at least, even with a side like Gold Coast who are pushing for a finals berth.

Agree on the second quarter, the midfield comment was more speaking of the year as whole compared to last year.

Viney and Jones are quality and I'm a big fan of Tyson (although not his day today), Vince is serviceable and gives us a more consistent output than Sylvia. Cross is playing his role well as is Matt Jones. We are still short probably 3-4 quality players running through the guts. Hopefully Salem and Toumpas can make the grade.