Jack Trengove out for year with navicular fracture

Arrow

I don't usually 'demand' that the club reveals all details around injuries, but rather than rely on guesswork from Demonland posters, I'd really appreciate it if the club could say 'this has contributed to his lack of speed over the last x months' or that it has nothing to do with it. Of course if would have to be diplomatically worded because I can't see the club bluntly calling Jack slow.

Trengove has Navicular stress fracture in 2012.

Trengove has foot pain for x amount of weeks? 1? 2? 4?

Scan shows no injury

Trengove's pain gets worse and repeat scans show a full blown fracture and needs surgery.

Um did they not think the scan might be wrong and that the foot pain might be related? Considering Trengove is in the VFL why not a week off with foot pain and to see if it will settle? If it doesn't settle then it's pretty obvious something is wrong. I'm really getting sick of our doctors, physios and Misson. Bad luck is bad luck but we seem to be brining some on our selves.

• Like 5

Soory for Jack but realisticaly no big loss at the moment hope he rcovers and gets back to his best but I fear it may have passed him Time will tell

For God sake he was our captain last year and is in his early 20's you make it sound like his is in his early 30's! He is my wife's favourite player. Come back fitter and stronger Trenners.

They said a key demon was out for the year leading into the sport report.

When they said it was Jack I felt relief. Then guilt.

I feel for him and hope this has been undiagnosed for a while and can help him run again.

• Like 3

As has been posted I'm kinda happy that JT can take some time and get completely fit. It does open the door for Salem,jetta and toumpass to have a dip. Also how good is it to have some midfield depth? Last year any injury to a mid would spell disaster. This year we can at least cover JT. That Paul Roos bloke was banging on about midfield depth at the draft. He may know a thing or two about footy.

Poor bugger. Sometimes you just can't take a trick, no matter how hard you try. Get better, Jack, and we look forward to seeing you rip it up on the field again.

Scan shows no injury

Trengove's pain gets worse and repeat scans show a full blown fracture and needs surgery.

Um did they not think the scan might be wrong and that the foot pain might be related? Considering Trengove is in the VFL why not a week off with foot pain and to see if it will settle? If it doesn't settle then it's pretty obvious something is wrong. I'm really getting sick of our doctors, physios and Misson. Bad luck is bad luck but we seem to be brining some on our selves.

Exactly what I was thinking (yelling to myself) when listening to Mahoney on SEN while driving home.

• Like 1

Terrible luck for Jack, but we can hope to see him back in 2015 to show how good he really is.

Meanwhile, Nev Jetta has been hammering on a closed door, and now he'll certainly be elevated. He's playing for his career this year, and now he'll get a decent chance.

Hopefully Jetta can bring his vfl form to the afl. That would be good.

Good luck Jack c u next season.

Scan shows no injury

Its Rocket Science apparently..

No one's NASA inclined at Gosch's it seems

• Like 1

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/melbourne-midfielder-jack-trengove-out-for-remainder-of-2014-season-with-footy-injury-to-navicular/story-fniv6abm-1226885352525

Reading mr negative robbo's story, trengove is finished. Sheesh let him have the surgery before you end his career.

He just said on 360 that he may or may not play again depending on how the fracture healed, which I think is fair enough. Hird, Fasolo made it back, Egan never. He didn't sound negative on the show, and I'm no robbo fan. Edited by Tyson_Viney_Toumpas

Much better than Lisfranc. The only potential complication is avascular necrosis (damage to the blood supply to the navicular, resulting in death of the bone, and end of career) of the navicular. Very unlikely. Ideally, this solves any midfoot power transfer problems JT has been having, which he has been quoting according to Josh Mahoney. I don't like the sound of midfoot weakness without pain, but we'll know if it's uncomplicated after the surgeon goes in on Friday.

Thanks BBQ. Is that the fracture that sidelined Col Garland? Could it have been evolving slowly explaining his running problems?

As has been posted I'm kinda happy that JT can take some time and get completely fit. It does open the door for Salem,jetta and toumpass to have a dip. Also how good is it to have some midfield depth? Last year any injury to a mid would spell disaster. This year we can at least cover JT. That Paul Roos bloke was banging on about midfield depth at the draft. He may know a thing or two about footy.

This is the same injury that Viv Michie had in WA. Got bad news he will be in a moon boot for months and wont be able to do any running. It must be hard to spot because Viv complained that his foot was hurting and it took Freo about 6 weeks to spot it. Meanwhile he played in the WAFL and probably did more damage. Hopefully JT has the same success as Viv.

• Like 2

This is the same injury that Viv Michie had in WA. Got bad news he will be in a moon boot for months and wont be able to do any running. It must be hard to spot because Viv complained that his foot was hurting and it took Freo about 6 weeks to spot it. Meanwhile he played in the WAFL and probably did more damage. Hopefully JT has the same success as Viv.

So that makes Michie, Garland and Grimes as players on the list to have the same injury and make it back. Although it's worth noting it probably takes 4 or so months for the injury to heal and by that time it's back to the beginning fitness wise. So fitness wise it's similar to an ACL I'd say.

Hopefully (as Mahoney hinted at) the silver lining is they get to start all over again with Trengove. I'd say after all the time off his feet they should go back to the start with his running technique, with his fitness goals etc. It must be hard to work on your speed and things when the advise is always to get fitter and fitter as AFL midfielders must be.

I'm disappointed because I think after some time in the VFL Trengove could've sorted a lot of his issues with attacking the game and creative ball use out this year and made an impact. Despite still being young he's a senior player and a capable one. However physical limitations probably would've held him back, now they can go back to square one. It's not completely unusual for players to get better after injury lay offs.

• Like 1

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/melbourne-midfielder-jack-trengove-out-for-remainder-of-2014-season-with-footy-injury-to-navicular/story-fniv6abm-1226885352525

Reading mr negative robbo's story, trengove is finished. Sheesh let him have the surgery before you end his career.

Fortunately Robbos hardly been on the money

• Like 2

Egan played thru it & in a grand final which was his undoing likewise croad. As with all injuries treatments have improved & with correct rehabilitation he should come back successfully. If you are having any type of op you are always givien the worst case scenario & that's what squeaky girl robbo would be going with.

• Like 1

By the way. Trengove walking in to AAMI for scans shown on the news. No moon boot. Now maybe I'm overreacting here but if you're having foot scans don't you need to be in a boot until proven otherwise?

Isn't that the (less serious) equivalent of worrying about whether someone had a neck injury but not putting in a neck brace?

"Trengove sustained a stress fracture in the same foot in December 2012, affecting his 2013 season. However, that stress fracture was not in the navicular bone."

• Like 1