Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes for Gold Coast Round 5

Grapeviney

I'd like to see Garland come in, even if underdone a bit. If Terlich is unable to play, it's a straight swap. If not, Evans is the unlucky one.

Garland won't be rushed back in underdone after foot surgery.

Remember Mitch Clark??

Bail is in mine until JKH, Kent, Evans, Blease or Toumpas go past him. We simply don't have anyone else at half forward who runs out a full game, always leads to the right spots, lays defensive tackles and regularly has shots on goal (even if Bail misses a lot).

I'm hoping by next year JKH and Kent are clearly above Bail but it will probably take them at least another preseason as well as however many games they can play this year.

My thinking on Bail is that his bad attributes (mainly kicking) might well cost him being a regular player (or even on the list) of a top 4 club, but his good attributes in his run, pace, hardness, tackling would probably have him able to slide in to a top 4 team and contribute a lot. There's very little gap between Bail and guys like Puopolo or Matt De Boer who played in the grand final last year.

Agreed - but he would need to become more consistent - find the ball more and on a regular basis

Clisby and Toumpas for Terlich and Evans.....some reward for effort, also more run with Clisby and Toumpas adds skill.

• Like 1

Just had a look at Trengove's draft combine results. He ran 2.97 in the 20m sprint. You have to wonder what's gone wrong since. I have been told by several sources that repeat 300's are great for endurance but will kill your speed unless they are offset by plenty of burst/speed training. Maybe the focus on distance work under Neeld is the issue? If that's the case you would hope that it is being worked on now and we are just having to wait for the effects to show.

My changes would be:
Ins: Toumpas (small defender), Salem (forward) and Garland (sub if fit enough)
Outs: Terlich, JKH and Evans (for Garland if fit enough)

JKH is not ready yet IMO. And given his size, I wonder if he has sufficient pace, strength or marking ability to make it in the long term. (Not many will agree with me on Demonland.) His kicking also lacks a bit of penetration at the moment. That’s not to say there is no talent there and his game on the weekend included some clear highlights.

My changes would be:

JKH is not ready yet IMO. And given his size, I wonder if he has sufficient pace, strength or marking ability to make it in the long term. (Not many will agree with me on Demonland.) His kicking also lacks a bit of penetration at the moment. That’s not to say there is no talent there and his game on the weekend included some clear highlights.

5d4f7172a17eb2ec20df365eed1ed70a1.gif

• Like 3

Fair enough, but I put him in the same bracket as Dawes was this past weekend. If he's fit to play at all, he should be playing AFL not VFL.

I won't be too fussed either way as I'd be quite happy to see no changes made to reward the 22 for their victory.

Reading between the lines - completely different bracket.

Garland did most of the preseason so I suspect that his fitness base may be ahead of Dawes but they are easing him back in because of his injury.

Dawes was fitness wise under done but I suspect they played him because they were confident he was over his injury.

You can probably risk an unfit Dawes as opposed to a player who is not 100% due to an injury.

Like Aiden Riley - They are monitoring him very closely on game time but also twinges and aches on a leg that was very badly broken.

My changes would be:

Do you drink whilst you watch the footy?, you would not have a Key Defender as a sub, even if he can go forward as he has in the past,

Salem will be at Casey until at least mid year

Why replace Evans?, and Terlich is not out yet, he walked off after the game without a limp, gone are the days we keep injured players on the field, Roos wants 100%

And as for your comments on JKH....nobody agrees with you on Demonland

• Like 5

My changes would be:

why would anyone be pushing for us to include young high draft picks who have not earned their spot yet - that is what we have been doing for 7 years and it has resulted in complete disaster. Roos seems to be taking a more sensible approach and thank God for that. Furthermore, it is unwise IMO to drop two blokes after a good win like that, we need some consistency and stability in our side as it has been lacking for years.

• Like 4

What I'd really love to bring in is a gun half back flanker with serviceable defending, good speed and run, and great disposal and decision making. The play maker off the back flank role is currently being done by whoever has it, and if someone could really step up into that we'll be a long way further along in development!

IMO, Terlich was good at this last season. His disposal will never be great, but he was making better decisions and covering it. He's started this year poorly, but unless he's not fit don't drop him yet.

My changes would be:

I would keep the same team. JKH looked exciting I would hate to see him dropped, loved his chase down tackle and his goal was pretty special. I am a big fan of Evans and thought he came on as the sub and had a lot of aggression and did well.

I hate to say it but Jeremy Howe has been very quiet. I would bring Garland in for him if he is ready.

If Garland is ready but Terlich is injured, then it takes away the need to make a tough decision. I can't see enough room for all of Garland, Georgiou, Pedersen, Howe and Terlich back there (in addition to "non-negotiables" McDonald and Grimes), but Col is easily the superior player of that lot so one will need to shift. None particularly deserve to go on recent form. I'd probably have dropped Georgiou with a heavy heart, or Terlich anyway.

As has already been said, all eyes to Casey now!

Drop Georgiou over Pedersen?!

Pedersen is literally my 1st out the second Garland is fit enough to play.

He tries hard, but god he's a limited footballer. Garland on last year's form is our 2nd best player and so important for our flexibility down back (can play tall or small).

As for Terlich, I think Clisby is a much much better player and hope to see him replace Terlich long term, because sadly Terlich is just not a smart footballer.

Drop Georgiou over Pedersen?!

Pedersen is literally my 1st out the second Garland is fit enough to play.

He tries hard, but god he's a limited footballer. Garland on last year's form is our 2nd best player and so important for our flexibility down back (can play tall or small).

As for Terlich, I think Clisby is a much much better player and hope to see him replace Terlich long term, because sadly Terlich is just not a smart footballer.

Is Garland playing back up ruck? Until we have a solution for this Pederson plays. He has clearly won his position and played his role the last two weeks and should continue to be rewarded for it.

• Like 1

Like for like, it just must be Clisby. He was good last year, and is in Casey's best 2 weeks running. Otherwise, there won't be any changes, as the only other who must come in is Garland, and he'll play a full game at Casey this week. And for those who think Georgiou will go out for Garland, unless he has a stinker against GCS, he's gonna stay, and should. Pederson will go.

Who rucks then when Spencer rests?

Is Garland playing back up ruck? Until we have a solution for this Pederson plays. He has clearly won his position and played his role the last two weeks and should continue to be rewarded for it.

Thanks, beat me to it.

• Like 2

Garland won't be rushed back in underdone after foot surgery.

Remember Mitch Clark??

I think it was his ankle wyl

but he had a similar injury to Clark in his early days that kept him out for a year.

My changes would be:

why would anyone be pushing for us to include young high draft picks who have not earned their spot yet - that is what we have been doing for 7 years and it has resulted in complete disaster. Roos seems to be taking a more sensible approach and thank God for that. Furthermore, it is unwise IMO to drop two blokes after a good win like that, we need some consistency and stability in our side as it has been lacking for years.

Agree -- and from what I have read (not seen him in action at Casey) Salem hasn't set the world on fire, as yet. IMO Roos would want him to have quite a few "solid" games and maybe one or two standouts before he would promote him (yes, even though JKH was debuted well before many here would have expected for the same reasons.) JKH may well be "dropped" soon despite being far from WOG, for young player management considerations.

Just because we won, it doesn't mean all 22 players played well. There is nothing wrong with upgrading and improving the team after a win.

Well please tell us who didn't play well, should be easy enough and not a big list

because IMO almost every player did their job, barring the odd loss of foot and occassional turnover they supported each other, tackled and/or coralled, ran to space, shepherded.

The side on Saturday was well balanced performance wise and they all seemed to know their limitations and took the game on a little bit more. IMO the Dees of the last 3 years would have gone into their shell after that first 10 minutes and we would have been 6 to 7 goals down by quarter time

• Like 2

What's with all the people wanting to drop Evans. Were people watching when he came on? He was hard, fast and played with an aggressive intent. No way drop him for mine.

• Like 3

I don't think Garland is playing for Casey today, even if he is I think having missed so much preseason he'd need 2 weeks at Casey. As good as Garland is we aren't really missing him structurally we are just missing his class.

I disagree, mate. I think we've really missed a reliable disposer off half back all year. I personally wouldn't call Garland "classy", but he is a solid, "reliable" distributor. That goes to the heart of our structure. His ability to break lines, make the right decision and then dispose of the ball solidly, is key to quick ball movement and thus our attacking game. He is also an excellent one-on-one defender.

See, if we turn it over at half back, we're goners in the modern game. When you've got Grimes, Terlich and even M Jones kicking us out of there, most of the time their disposal efficiency is so poor that their turn overs result in direct goals - see Rounds 1-3. I hate those speculative kicks that we do across half back, chipping into the middle of the ground or kicking to a one-on-one in the corridor. Low percentage and route one to goal for the opposition if they win that contest. In that respect, Garland straightens our back six up, in a way that Dawes straightens us up down the other end.

• Like 1