As if we needed another reason to hate North Melbourne

Great idea, after a recent visit to the states and seeing how sports over there are it definitely adds to the hostility towards opposition teams. In the states the home team feels like a home team. In AFL you could go to a game and have no idea who the home team is.

i dont mind the idea ether.... Though id keep the winning team song.... Be a good feeling to beat a home team and sing the song at the end(on their turf)
  • Like 1

By the same logic, why don't we flood the visiting team's dressing rooms and turn off the heaters in the coaches' box and accost them with knife-weilding maniacs as they come down the race at quarter-time?

Stupid idea, though I guess I respect the motivation behind it.

lol... Classic post mate!!

Step 1- Create Thread

Step 2- Fight to the death for original posted opinion

Step 3- Dismiss all other views by posters as stupid

Step 4- ??????

Step 5- Profit

The way I see it, it's more like this:

Step 1- Create Thread

Step 2- Fight to the death for original posted opinion

Step 3- Dismiss all other views by posters as stupid

Step 4- Sook

Step 5- Go to Step 1

• Like 2

Then you are one of a few.

To hate North Melbourne would require that I am in some way emotionally stimulated by North Melbourne.

In principle, I'm glad they rejected being rolled into Gold Coast - would have been unworkable in any case.

But beyond that sliver of solidarity, North are kind of a 'who cares' club for me, like West Coast, Adelaide, Brisbane,

As for the 'no song for the away team... meh, whatever. I'm getting a bit sick of the sheer amount of contrived noise before, after and in the breaks of games anyway.

Personally, I think if Melbourne wanted to make a stronger home atmosphere, the visual path would be the one to go with. More Red and Blue, please.

Also, something like a steady roar of approval, disapproval, and involvement corresponding to events favouring or disfavouring the Demons would be good.

Like, getting a whole bunch of people to turn up to cheer and boo and clap and yell and wave flags and all that. That'd be a brilliant plan.

• Like 4

By the same logic, why don't we flood the visiting team's dressing rooms and turn off the heaters in the coaches' box and accost them with knife-weilding maniacs as they come down the race at quarter-time?

Stupid idea, though I guess I respect the motivation behind it.

Was it Vic Park where they'd only give teams cold water to shower in? Maybe it was Moorabbin. Anyway I'm digressing. I think it's a great idea, Chook, and if PJ doesn't put it to the AFL then he's not earning his coin.

Edited by Carrot Top

Crowd and location are the two factors that will make a match feel like a "home" match.

Of course a Victorian match at Etihad/MCG will not feel like a home match - equally a match where the crowd is minimal.

Interstate games have a home feel for the home side because of the uniqueness of the ground (lack of games played there by the opposition) and fierce outweighing of support.

Those quoting American sport are ignoring that, in the majority of cases, matches are played between a team and another side from interstate.

You don't see the american cultural parallels the AFL has tried to plant in our game ? You must be blind dude.

I still wish they had upped and moved to the Gold Coast.

I believe if they had taken the carrot and moved, the idea for the expansion teams may not have proceeded.

A 16 team comp without compromised drafts etc would be preferable.

Hence my reason for a dislike for NM and especially its Chairman.

Do you have to derail every thread with your non stop crap, grow up stuie

It wasn't a joke. But I won't be mean about it now that I understand all the blunt trauma you have been through brick head.

The idea of making a home team more identifiable is sound, but I don't think refusing to play the away team theme song is the way to go.

At Essendon home games they play the air raid siren before the game. That's an effective way of generating a 'home game' feel (playing it's a Grand Old Flag on a trumpet is not).

It's a bit like the All Blacks and their haka, although they perform that wherever they play.

In short, I think the idea to create a definable 'home game' feel is a good idea, but perhaps it should be done by adding something, not removing a tradition.

I actually don't mind the idea. Imagine queens birthday and the MCG not playing the Collingwood song before or after. Wouldn't mind that at all.

As a compromise, if the away team wins, then the song gets played once and once only, regardless of the venue.

Everytime we get done at the G, they play the other mobs song about 6 times which is annoying.

I remember we got spanked by Gold Coast last year, and they had their song on repeat in front of about 4 people in the crowd while the dees fans had long gone.

I reckon in the vfl days some away club songs never got played at some venues??

I actually don't mind the idea. Imagine queens birthday and the MCG not playing the Collingwood song before or after. Wouldn't mind that at all.

As a compromise, if the away team wins, then the song gets played once and once only, regardless of the venue.

Everytime we get done at the G, they play the other mobs song about 6 times which is annoying.

I remember we got spanked by Gold Coast last year, and they had their song on repeat in front of about 4 people in the crowd while the dees fans had long gone.

I reckon in the vfl days some away club songs never got played at some venues??

Here is a suggestion from left field.

Win the games and then I don't care what they play concerning the other side.

as someone pointed out today on radio there is always more opposition fans there anyway then nth so its a bit hard to create a hostile home ground environment.

Can you imagine nth playing a home game against collingwood and collingwood not running out to there song, the fans would end up singing it and creating more atmosphere.

I just just them as an example seeing as they have a very big fan base.

But nth said they would play the other teams song after the game if they lost.

Personally, I think if Melbourne wanted to make a stronger home atmosphere, the visual path would be the one to go with. More Red and Blue, please.

Also, something like a steady roar of approval, disapproval, and involvement corresponding to events favouring or disfavouring the Demons would be good.

do you think the MFC should be asking the MCC, to change the colour of the seats?

do you think the MFC should be asking the MCC, to change the colour of the seats?

Oh god no..

It took us five years to sort out the colour red in our jumper.

We will have played in a GF before the seats stop looking pink or maroon or orange!

• Like 1