Colin Sylvia

Bobby McKenzie

The most disappointing footballer I have seen during my time supporting.

Many disagree but I believe he had the talent to be anything...alas he had an attitude that made him amount to nothing.

Not sure why everyone has such hate for Sylvia.

Yes he never achieved his potential but gee the hate some people are expressing here amazes me.

His case is free agency in motion.

We need to all get used to free agency players swapping clubs it will be an every increasing phenomena in the future.

Are we all going to show the same hate if Frawley leaves this year?

I have no hate for him - I save that for the maggots, and the drug cheats - but must agree with nut bean that he is the most disappointing, and frustrating, player I have seen in over half a century following this club (maybe Tilbrook excepted).

He seriously could have been a superstar - perhaps he thought that he could be without any hard work.

I am still uncertain if his major failing was his laziness or lack of intelligence.

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 3

I have no hate for him - I save that for the maggots, and the drug cheats - but must agree with nut bean that he is the most disappointing, and frustrating, player I have seen in over half a century following this club (maybe Tilbrook excepted).

He seriously could have been a superstar - perhaps he thought that he could be without any hard work.

I am still uncertain if his major failing was his laziness or lack of intelligence.

I think he has just realised being lazy does not cut it with Ross and he cant coast through like he did with us.

Had one good moment early in the last quarter where he skillfully held on to the ball to set up a player running past that opened up the Richmond defence for an easy Freo goal. Other than that had trouble getting into the game. Looked a bit rusty.

Edited by america de cali

Guys you all have to get your minds around Free agency.

There is in the future going to be plenty of player movement from one club to another in the future.

You simply cannot get your knickers in a knot every time a player from the MFC leaves.

On the other hand we are happy for a player to do exactly the same thing to join us.

Are you going to have the same feeling to that player?

Yes, I hate Byrnes for joining us ;)

I believe Sylvia can be of value for Freo. I would not depend on him to be a great all season player but can put together a good string of six to eight games if he is interested enough. Might be a wildcard or X factor for the finals.

Edited by america de cali

Anyone hear the post game interview with Ballantyne on SEN?

Was asked about Sylvia.

Don't recall his exact words, but he said something along the lines of him always getting on Sylvia's case at training and giving him a hard time, and so it is good to see him play well.

• 1 month later...

Dropped by Freo...

For all the Sylvia apologists read this quote from Lyon:

Speaking about Sylvia, who has had a disappointing first season in the west, Lyon said: "He needs to go back (to the WAFL) and deliver actions that will build trust within the match committee that will select him and, more importantly, his teammates.
"He's played a certain way for a long time and he needs to shift, because we're not bending to Col. Col will bend to us. He knows that and he understands that."

Dropped by Freo...

For all the Sylvia apologists read this quote from Lyon:

Speaking about Sylvia, who has had a disappointing first season in the west, Lyon said: "He needs to go back (to the WAFL) and deliver actions that will build trust within the match committee that will select him and, more importantly, his teammates.
"He's played a certain way for a long time and he needs to shift, because we're not bending to Col. Col will bend to us. He knows that and he understands that."

Maybe one day everyone will wake up that he just doesn't have the talent many think he has. He's just an average footballer, nothing more, nothing less.

No surprise really.

He just can't seem to break the conditioning.

I still see some bad habits in Frawley who has obviously been through the same environment as Col but hasn't got enough self-determination to break through it.

Which is part of the reason I want him gone.

We're trying to breed a new environment and strong culture at the MFC. Players who have been through below par environments and standards but don't respond to the raised standards themselves should really go. Frawley is in between.

I remember posters banging on about 'losing an experienced player' in Col.

What does that sentence even mean?

Seriously.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 1

No surprise really.

He just can't seem to break the conditioning.

I still see some bad habits in Frawley who has obviously been through the same environment as Col but hasn't got enough self-determination to break through it.

Which is part of the reason I want him gone.

We're trying to breed a new environment and strong culture at the MFC. Players who have been through below par environments and standards but don't respond to the raised standards themselves should really go. Frawley is in between.

I remember posters banging on about 'losing an experienced player' in Col.

What does that sentence even mean?

Seriously.

Never miss an opportunity. Seriously.

• Like 1

Nutbean, it's just as amusing that every time in post about Frawley, yours is the next one in line.

We can transfer this to the Frawley thread, but I do have a question:

When you've seen Frawley play this year, have you seen anything to suggest that he lacks urgancy, heart or a desire to do everything he can to improve himself and our side? I certainly have and so have plenty of others that I've spoken to.

This is coming from a member of our leadership group.

And I think, whilst not as severe as Sylvia's lack of care or effort, it's there. It hangs around. It lurks. And it gives me a sick feeling in my stomach.

Do you understand or get that the MFC need to rid themselves of any signs of that type of onfield behaviour? ESPECIALLY from a senior leader? I'm absolutely sure that PR would understand the whole thing is complex and players that have been around the MFC for 6 + years and who have a limited capacity to think may find it difficult to 'change' what have now become conditioned and ingrained training and playing habits.

Frawley is another we must move on. For various reasons, but in my opinion the main one is that he still possesses a bit of the virus.

No team within the AFL has dropped to the depths that we have over the past 5 years, nor have any displayed or given life to a culture and environment so toxic that the effects can still be seen in the way some players still carry themselves.

That is all that matters here. Frawley will not change. And at our club, right now, at this point, we need players who haven't been part of that toxic bubble.

Sure, Frawley is a great fullback. And he'd be absolutely perfect for a team that has a terrific set of leaders and a really strong and professional environment and culture. But for us, Frawley will continue to waft which will ultimately have an impact on the development of our younger players and will only prove harder for the MFC to completely break the shackles.

Let him go, and the chance for further rejuvenation to our list and club is ten-fold. We'll have options to bring in a gun, bring in more quality through the draft or trade for a couple of handy additions that will add more to our club, environment and culture than what Frawley will.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 2

Nutbean, it's just as amusing that every time in post about Frawley, yours is the next one in line.

We can transfer this to the Frawley thread, but I do have a question:

When you've seen Frawley play this year, have you seen anything to suggest that he lacks urgancy, heart or a desire to do everything he can to improve himself and our side? I certainly have and so have plenty of others that I've spoken to.

This is coming from a member of our leadership group.

And I think, whilst not as severe as Sylvia's lack of care or effort, it's there. It hangs around. It lurks. And it gives me a sick feeling in my stomach.

Do you understand or get that the MFC need to rid themselves of any signs of that type of onfield behaviour? ESPECIALLY from a senior leader? I'm absolutely sure that PR would understand the whole thing is complex and players that have been around the MFC for 6 + years and who have a limited capacity to think may find it difficult to 'change' what have now become conditioned and ingrained training and playing habits.

That is all that matters here. Frawley will not change.

Sure, Frawley is a great fullback. And he'd be absolutely perfect for a team that has a terrific set of leaders and a really strong and professional environment and culture. But for us, Frawley will continue to waft which will ultimately have an impact on the development of our younger players and will only prove harder for the MFC to completely break the shackles.

I keep replying to you because you keep posting the same stuff that most I talk to don't agree with.

So in answer to your question - has he lacked urgency ? half hearted efforts ? Nope - don't agree - I see an improvement in his efforts compared to the previous two years but also see him a fair way off his AA year. He doesn't go at it like a Jones or Dawes but then not many do. Do I see bombs to no-one, poor disposal at times and indecisive/poor decision making ? Sure.

You keep banging on about him being in the leadership group - I can see that you definitely wouldn't have in the leadership group - I probably wouldn't either - but you and I don't vote in the leadership group - the players and coaching staff do. There is a good reason for this - there are many components to being a leader and we get to see just a slither - what we perceive on the field. We don't know what he does in the change rooms, on the training track and we really don't know how much direction and voice he is giving on the field because he is not animated on the field like a Hodge is. Interestingly - I talked to a couple of players separately about Cameron Bruce and whilst he was part of poor period of leaders I thought he was a very poor choice to be in our LG. I was forthright in my opinions on his helicopters and some less than full on efforts. I was promptly pulled up and told that he was fantastic with the kids, quiet instruction to the kids on the field, a leader in training and the players really respected him.I still think he was a poor leader in a group of other poor leaders but players thought differently. Again we only see a small part of the leaders in action.

Do I compare him favourably to Dawes as leader ? From what I see - no. Would I see getting a pick within the first 4 picksas a win for Frawley - if it is used well - probably.

You say that Frawley is not the footballer to take the club forward. We have a whole list that needs to collectively take the club forward. Some will be prominent through force of personality and some will do it through exceptional talent on the field. Some will play just play a role week in and week out. I don't see Frawley having a dominant personality. He had a couple of very good years - one being AA and he is playing his role this year - that's according to our coach. Not sure if he can rise again to be a "talent" or just be another role player. But to compare him to Sylvia is in my opinion insulting.

You find the flaws in Frawley and boldly suggest he can't change - I find that arrogance ( or ignorance ) of the highest order - Many on here believed that Pederson - who's efforts last year were very suspect was an absolute delist and the same goes for Dunn a few years back - interestingly that they have changed. Watts is further developing and slowly changing - sorry Chip - you can't change. The club is fresh out of the change gene for you.

And to suggest "Frawley will continue to waft which will ultimately have an impact on the development of our younger players" - where do you get this stuff from ??? Now you are insulting Roos and Co and their ability to coach and set standards - to suggest that Frawleys impact is that strong and toxic !!! (Roos end of year address at AGM - JKH, Jimmy T and Salem didn't came on as expected - Damn you Chip Frawley")

I repeat - the way he has played the last two seasons is a way off his AA year. I see his flaws - I see his decision making and disposal at times. I think we may do alright if we get a band 1 pick for him. No player is indispensable and there are many players I consider more important to our structure and future than Frawley.

I just keep replying to your posts because I find your view of him holding back our club back as amusing as you find my constant replying to you.

edit - just re-read the post and obviously your last line didn't register - Let him go, and the chance for further rejuvenation to our list and club is ten-fold. take this comment and the comment about him having an impact on development of the younger players to Roos and PJ and see what sort of reaction you get.

Bottom line is - he is just another player on the list with strengths and weaknesses. He will probably leave and we will probably get a high pick for him. If he goes then so be it - if he stays I will watch with interest to see our list devalue 10 fold and our kids fall into a giant hole.

Edited by nutbean