WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - MAX KING

Whispering_Jack

200CM!

"The Giants can commit to recruiting the 200cm and 89kg prospect before the draft under their zone access to players from southern NSW/ACT, but could also sign him and then use him as a trade incentive player through October's trade period."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-11/giants-eye-young-king

Very impressive pick up IMO. Is very good above his head and his kicking action is fluent and straight. Very good kick for goal too. Very good option for the rookie list. Looks like after missing out on Hannath last year, we decided to get a similar player this year.

Just on Max I watched a game earlier this up my way and was hugely impressed by how agile he was for a 202cm ruckman.

His ability to tap the ball and follow up again for a handball was something I notice him do a fair bit. For a bloke his size he has really good kicking skills. Will be already ahead of Jamar and Spencer in that department and even Gawn. He defiantly is a decent kick!

Can also rest up forward and kick goals. The way he played up forward reminded me of Kurt Tippett in the way he sticks his arms up to clunk overhead. Will rise above packs and take huge marks! I know in one of the practice games they played up here he kicked 5 playing as the full forward.

GWS rated him very highly and so did a lot of clubs. If he is developed properly he will be an absolute gem!

Just on Max I watched a game earlier this up my way and was hugely impressed by how agile he was for a 202cm ruckman.

His ability to tap the ball and follow up again for a handball was something I notice him do a fair bit. For a bloke his size he has really good kicking skills. Will be already ahead of Jamar and Spencer in that department and even Gawn. He defiantly is a decent kick!

Can also rest up forward and kick goals. The way he played up forward reminded me of Kurt Tippett in the way he sticks his arms up to clunk overhead. Will rise above packs and take huge marks! I know in one of the practice games they played up here he kicked 5 playing as the full forward.

GWS rated him very highly and so did a lot of clubs. If he is developed properly he will be an absolute gem!

Should keep this in perspective. No-one rated him highly enough to pick him in 65 picks of the National Draft or the first round of the Rookie Draft.

But, like all players put on a rookie list, he now has his chance and I wish him all the best.

we cot our fill of jacks...now we're collecting max's

No surprises that we took a ruck prospect.

Agree.

We needed another young developing ruck.

Another ruckman named Max no less.

Agility doesn't look too bad.

Can rest forward, but based on the highlights footage on AFL website (not an educated opinion, but it's all I've got to work with), he isn't great at timing his lead, or leaping and attacking the footy in the air at its highest point.

Likes to wait back, have the kick put to the back of the pack, pushes out (will give away frees based on that footage) and uses his height.

Not too different to Gawn really, but I don't think these types make great resting fwds.

A project ruckman.

Exactly what we needed (no sarcasm).

A couple of Bigfooty profiles

Snoop Dog

Max King – NSW / 200cm / 89kg / ‘95
Seen a fair bit of young Max and he looms as a player who might go a bit earlier than many think given the dearth of key position players in the pool. He is a big tall kid whose development you can literally see from game to game. Last year I would have been 50:50 on his prospects but this year he really showed that he can play that fwd/ruck role. His marking improved and he was able to hit the scoreboard. His hands are good at the ruck contest and has a decent boot on him. Max will take time though and he reminds me a bit of Jack Fitzpatrick at the same age. Chance for someone like Essendon.

Chris25

52. Port Adelaide - Max King (200cm, 89kg forward - NSW/Murray)

Easily my favourite of the New South Welshmen, and one of my favourite talls in the whole draft really. I've been talking him up for some time, heading back to before the U18 Championships this year. He'll take a bit of time as he needs some time in the gym, but I think he could be a very good player at the next level. He is a member of the GWS Academy, one article states he can be prelisted and potentially on-traded prior to the draft - whatever happens, I'd be surprised to see GWS letting him go straight into the draft. King missed a few weeks at the start of the season with injury, but performed strongly for the Bushrangers in the TAC Cup upon his return. He also had a very impressive U18 Championships for NSW, and I'm sure he opened quite a few eyes playing at full forward and rotating through as the #2 ruck - in his 5 games, King kicked 11 goals. He is a strong mark, and really takes the ball at its highest point. And despite being reasonably skinny, he uses his body well and doesn't get pushed around - which helps the crumbers at his feet, as well as the midfielders when he rucks. For such a tall guy, he is a surprisingly good kick and is still willing to get down and dirty when the ball hits the ground. I'm not sure why more people aren't on board to be honest. Athletic 200cm forward/rucks don't grow on trees, and King has a lot of potential. I could see him going as high as the second round.

Very clean mark and great kick. Looks like a great rookie pick up. Few players of that size are great kicks. (Mitch Clark the exception)

However, I hate to say it but his highlight reel looks almost identical to Jack Watts' when he dominated the Melbourne schoolboy finals just prior to his draft. Can he produce this against big bodies? I hope they give him a good amount of time to figure this out.

We seem to be Maxing out our ruck prospects. Send Fitzy a deed poll form to change his name to Max as well. And Spencil as well.