WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - AIDAN RILEY

dazzledavey36

This and the Michie trade indicate that Roos prefers speculative 21 year olds over speculative 18 year olds. I know nothing about Riley so I have no idea if he'll be any good, but the rationale seems reasonable.

That's an excellent point.

I wonder whether the Rookie List will have a few 20/21/22 year olds.

• Like 1

Articles on Aidan:

Riley ready to rumble

Nov 2013 -

Aidan Riley will continue his rehabilitation at the Club. A strong chance to be re-drafted in the Rookie Draft, Riley isnt likely to do any football work until the New Year.

Aidan will start doing bits and pieces with the group in January. It was a nasty injury, so itll be a long process, Poulos said.

The way hes approached his rehab has been great, you couldnt question it at all.

Well keep looking after him.

A CROWS' young gun is making a name for himself as someone who can cope with the knocks, says Scott Walsh.

In junior football, he was known as "Nugget".

In basketball circles, he was "Mongrel".

Now, at West Lakes, Aidan Riley is Adelaide's "Pigdog".

As unflattering as all three nicknames seem, they reflect a common theme in the Crows' four-game greenhorn who is already making waves as one of the competition's hard men.

Just ask colourful commentator Brian Taylor, who has already singled out Riley as one of his favourites, gushing during a call: "He likes doing the dirty things no one else wants to do, Aidan Riley. He takes the rubbish out, greases the car, cleans the fireplace; they reckon he's that sort of guy."

The image was crystalised two weeks ago in just Riley's third AFL appearance, when he speared himself at Geelong ruckman Brad Ottens - 20cm taller and 20kg heavier - with a crushing tackle more at home in a rugby league State-of-Origin clash.

090347-b447ae90-4a4f-11e3-95c1-9e9b6c573

465171-e7cfae5e-4840-11e3-889f-97711b41d

But growing up in NRL heartland Wollongong, as a West Australian-born kid with Australian football in his blood, "tough" and "courageous" weren't always tags thrown at the lad who brushed the Sydney game of league for the minority code crudely dubbed "GayFL" in some pockets north of the River Murray.

"I remember one teacher turned around and called him a wimp because he wasn't going to play rugby league," father Peter said this week. "That's the attitude - `what's wrong with you, you're not playing rugby league, you're playing that girl's game'. I had to take the teacher aside and politely point out that it had nothing to do with Aidan's courage or stamina, and if he had a problem with it, to speak to his parents."

It has been a 12-year ride - against the odds, defying his location and bucking the popular practice of schoolmates - for Riley to become an overnight AFL success.

The story goes something like this: WA-born kid takes up Auskick after his family moves to Wollongong; limited number of junior teams means he plays under-10s as a seven-year-old; talent recognised as a 12-year-old with selection in a Sydney Swans junior academy; accepted at Illawarra Sport High School as a top basketball prospect; Dad has to coach school footy teams because school refuses to teach the "girl's game"; plays first senior match in Sydney league as a 15-year-old; consistently selected at regional representative level until spotted by Crows' recruiter Matt Rendell and snapped up under the NSW scholarship program.

In doing so, Riley became the first player from Wollongong - Australia's ninth largest city - to land on an AFL list.

"He's just got a trait in him that's come from the family - they're fighters," mum Sharon said. Peter added: "We've always been AFL supporters.

"But the understanding and exposure to footy here in Wollongong isn't like it is in Adelaide or Melbourne. That's the thing we were pleased about when he got the scholarship and rookie spot with the Crows."

Riley's parents moved from northwest WA town Karratha to Wollongong, 100km south of Sydney, when Riley was a toddler. Both were West Coast fans - Sharon a converted member of Richmond's faithful, owing to her father having played there when he was younger.

Like most kids, Riley tried every sport. As a youth he even made a train-on squad of 30 for Illawarra's regional soccer side, the Wolves - only because his mates had bet him $5 he wouldn't front. He admired rugby league legend Andrew Johns and Swans captain Brett Kirk - two figures whose influence shone in backyard scraps with Peter and younger brother, Connor.

"Competitive, I'd say," Peter said of those early imitation grand finals. "That tackle on Ottens was a textbook tackle.

"We were doing that stuff in juniors here. The difference is he's now got the build to do it. He's always been an aggressive player but the Crows have done a lot in giving him the skills and high-level coaching he needed."

"We only ever had the one broken window - and Peter did that," Sharon joked. But Riley excelled at footy and basketball, at times spending Friday nights and Saturdays attending hoops carnivals across NSW before returning home for Sunday football commitments.

"We must have covered thousands (of kilometres)," Peter said with a laugh.

"There were some weekends when we'd drive 500km to Albury, do the basketball there on Friday night and Saturday, jump in the car early Sunday morning and drive 600km back to Sydney for an AFL game."

The Riley family car is still racking up the miles - Connor is emerging as a baseball talent, but a carnival in Tamworth last month was cut short when the news came through that Riley was set to make his AFL debut in the Crows' Round 19 Showdown clash with Port Adelaide.

"We got the call on the Friday, while we were on the seven-hour drive to Tamworth," said Peter, who works as an ABC radio breakfast announcer in Wollongong.

"We were on the phone all day and wore out two phone batteries trying to find a way to get to Adelaide for Aidan's first game. Connor made the decision he would not play in his finals because he wanted to go to Adelaide for his brother's debut. We went to Aidan's jumper presentation and Michael Doughty introduced us and told everyone we'd flown in from the east coast especially for it. He said how his brother had given up his baseball finals in NSW to be here - so Connor piped up, `yeah, so you better do something good today'."

It was Riley's basketball talent that fast-tracked him into his sports-specific high school - and onto the hardwood where teammates dubbed him "Mongrel".

Like fellow Crow and housemate Kurt Tippett, he could have gone either way. But in his middle teens, after a dose of shin splints, doctors advised Riley he was doing too much. It was time to pick one sport and run with it.

"I had a bit of trouble with my knees and shins when I was younger and they told me I was playing too much sport, that I couldn't keep doing all the training for basketball and football," Riley said.

"The doc said you can't do it, so I had to make a decision."

Riley arrived at West Lakes in time for the 2010 season as the Crows' second NSW scholarship experiment, behind key forward Taylor Walker. As a rookie, he was only elevated to playing status earlier this year through Adelaide's growing long-term injury list.

He was immediately dubbed "Pigdog" - a moniker he believes he inherited as a replacement for departing midfielder Rob Shirley.

"I was a bit unsure about it, but the year I got drafted was the year `Shirls' left and they were looking for someone else to call Pigdog," Riley said. "I guess it was the way I was going about my footy in the pre-season that they gave it to me."

Riley said after making an impression early in his career, his next aim was to build promise into a long AFL journey.

"For me, I'd love to be able to finish off the last two games of the year with the Crows, and then I've just set myself a bit of an off-season goal to come back in as good a nick as I can and have a really good pre-season," he said. "I missed most of last pre-season with injuries.

"But I want to come back really sharp and have a strong pre-season and give myself the opportunity to play as many games as I can next year."

• Like 3

^^

It will be good to have a guy who is prepared to, even enjoys, laying a tackle.

Interesting pick....look forward to seeing how it turns out.

This and the Michie trade indicate that Roos prefers speculative 21 year olds over speculative 18 year olds. I know nothing about Riley so I have no idea if he'll be any good, but the rationale seems reasonable.

I'll back the selection of anyone with the nickname "pigdog".

Has intent from those highlights and keeps his feet.

Another example of Roos playing the percentages. Picking a kid who has shown some ability at AFL level who has what sounds like the right attitude to improve is thought better value than pissing pick 57 away for a speculative 18 year old.

There will be pressure on the inside mids to win and keep a spot and this bloke, Cross, Jones and Viney putting it on the line no questions asked.

Roos mandate is clearly to win the clearances and contests.

• Like 1

So that's Jones, Viney, Toumpas, Tyson, Michie, Vince, Cross, Trengove, Mckenzie, Grimes, Riley, Matt Jones, Kent, Evans, Barry and pick 9 that will all run through the midfield for 2014.

In 2013 we had Jones, Viney, Toumpas, Trengove, Sylvia, Bail, Rodan, Nicholson, Evans, MJones, Nicholson and Magner that all ran through our midfield this year...

I know what list id rather take.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 1

A clearance machine?

I know most of you have been traumatised by Neeld, but please stop lauding every Roos pick a champion.

I appreciate your reticence, however Roos does have cred.

Lets go with MFC trying to create an instant midfield, nothing world shattering( yet) just effective and competitive. How does one do that ? I think we are witnessing it....just saying

A clearance machine?

I know most of you have been traumatised by Neeld, but please stop lauding every Roos pick a champion.

In forum land you are either a gun or a spud.

• Like 6

So that's Jones, Viney, Toumpas, Tyson, Michie, Vince, Cross, Trengove, Mckenzie, Grimes, Riley, Matt Jones, Kent, Evans, Barry and pick 9 that will all run through the midfield for 2014.

In 2013 we had Jones, Viney, Toumpas, Trengove, Sylvia, Bail, Rodan, Nicholson, Evans, MJones, Nicholson and Magner that all ran through our midfield this year...

I know what list id rather take.

Most of these guys couldn't even get on the park!

Look, I'm just saying that we've picked up a lot of players who have been injured, or failed to make the grade at their respective (old) clubs.

Let's temper our expectations, rather than calling everyone a champion or a clearance machine - let the kids settle in first.

• Like 2

Pigdog is very highly rated by Crows fans. I look forward to Riley, McKenzie, Tyson, Viney, Jones, Trengove, Cross, Vince and Michie crashing and harassing opposition players next year, especially around the clearances.

Edited by Thehardtackler

A clearance machine?

That SANFL stats are undeniable that he's a clearance machine. And every likelihood points that when fit he could win his fair share of clearances at AFL level. That does not mean he's lauded as a future star.

In my mind it's not much different to saying Max Gawn is really tall or Jack Fitzpatrick has elite speed for a man of 200cm.

• Like 1

Hopefully this is an "inspired choice" with some inside information from NSW. I follow SANFL & was not expecting this. Aidan "worked hard" for his Crows call-up but did not figure among the top 3 Sturt players in the Magarey (ie < 6 votes). Someone must have seen something!

Good luck Aidan. Sounds like you've had your share of bad luck. Grab your chance at the Dees!

separated at birth ??

bf1k.jpg

Blease is way quicker than Riley but I'd back Riley to run down and tackle Blease rather than the other way any day of the week. Look at Blease in that photo holding his head and body back and reaching with his arms. Sickening

I just don't reckon the Michie trade is that speculative. He was a required player at Freo.

I'm very confident that he will be a bloody good pick up.

Never heard of Riley before reading this thread. Given that he's been delisted by the Crows, he's clearly more speculative - but I do like the fact that he's as hard as a cat's head. And that he's been described as a 'clearance machine'.

• Like 1