• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Taggert, Magner, Stark delisted; Clisby promoted

titan_uranus

Great draft that one was for us

Josh Tynan, Rpry Taggert and James Sellar

:LOL

You can now add Sheahan, Couch, Magner and Williams to that year's slections that didn't make it - and we can't even blame Prendergast for that disaster.

The only good thing is that no-one got much out of the lower end of that year's draft - Lachie Neale at 58 being one of the few that got through.

Hope Taggert gets another shot. Still think he could be a gun if given a good run at it.

I was wondering how long it would be before I saw the "g" word. Greatly overused on this board. I remember it being thrown around for Morton, Gysberts, Cook, Newton, etc etc etc ad nauseum.

I look forward to it being reserved for young players who actually perform on the big stage.

Why all the love for Taggert? He had a full year this year and still couldn't break in. List clogger.

Didn't ever, for whatever reason, produce for MFC.

Well according to me Taggert has size, skills and injuries wiped out his first season so he's only really had 1 year to prove himself. He's not a serious talent but might be worth another year. And nor was his dismissal unfair but might have been premature.

Nicholson has now had 3 years in which he's had opportunity at AFL level in all 3 and hasn't improved since his first game. He's proven thus far he's not a good close checking defender and whilst he can find the ball he struggles to use it. He also has moments where he shirks contests and generally has poor decision making. So yeah I think it's pretty fair to label him incredibly lucky. And considering he's bottom 3 on our list and we have the worst list then yeah he might well be right in the running for worst player in the AFL.

Geez, master.....maybe Mr Roos is as poor a judge as those who preceded him. Perhaps it is some bug that new coaches at our club just catch on arrival and can't throw off?

IMO Mr Roos knows better than any of us here, and if he sees more in Nicho than in Taggert then I will back him, though I guess after a few losses there will be experts here who will bay for his blood.

Edited by monoccular

A Taggert love in here tonight on Demonland !! Jetta will flourish under Roos, he possesses every attribute required for the Roos regime. Can we please just take a deep breath and reassure ourselves we lost no one of real ability today.

Agreed - we haven't lost anyone significant. Taggert is the only one that raised my eyebrows.

However - If you are going to start using the "attributes" excuse for Jetta though then same applies for Taggert (only Taggert hadn't had as long to prove himself).

Happy to keep Jetta though - just wish Taggert was kept ahead of Nicho but happy with all other changes to the list.

So this leaves us with:

Pedersen - have to wait another 2 years :(

Nicho - might still be cut if OOC

Bail - I rather him than Nicho but it will come down to his health

Byrnes - I think 1 year left?

Keeping Nicholson and Jetta over Taggert. Are you serious?

Out: Davey, Rodan, Macdonald, Sellar, Gillies, Davis, Tynan, Taggert, Magner ®, Stark ®, Couch ®, Clisby (promoted)

In: Hogan, Vince, Michie, Tyson, Cross, Clisby (promoted)

So at the moment we've got 2 senior list spots - Pick 9 and Pick 40 and 4 rookie spots. I would suggest using a rookie spot on Taggert wouldn't be a bad idea although the history of players dropped down to the rookie list and then making it back is very disappointing.

Everyone says this draft is weak after pick 40 though so maybe not much point even having pick 57 or the PSD pick but I'd rather use it than a late rookie pick if we can flick another player back to the rookie list in Jetta or Nicholson or just delist them.

I'm disappointed about Taggert. I hope we redraft him as a rookie. Why keep Nichoson & Jetta??? Maybe at the next delisting????

Agreed - we haven't lost anyone significant. Taggert is the only one that raised my eyebrows.

However - If you are going to start using the "attributes" excuse for Jetta though then same applies for Taggert (only Taggert hadn't had as long to prove himself).

Happy to keep Jetta though - just wish Taggert was kept ahead of Nicho but happy with all other changes to the list.

So this leaves us with:

Pedersen - have to wait another 2 years :(

Nicho - might still be cut if OOC

Bail - I rather him than Nicho but it will come down to his health

Byrnes - I think 1 year left?

Maybe next year we will delist this quartet.

Amazed at the amount of love for a guy who played zero games for the MFC. I'd have turfed Jetta or Nicholson first, but these are all such immaterial calls that I couldn't really care less which nearly good enough player went first.

Feel sorry for Stark, and thoroughly agree with rpfc that the system fails this type of player.

• Like 3

Today's delistings and a number of recent recruiting decisions actually indicate a more ruthless and professional direction over what we've had in the past.

No need for handwringing and cries of "woe is us". Those who have gone don't fit the bill of what's needed to be part of a successful AFL team. Taggert might be an outside chance for a reprieve via the rookie list but I think otherwise those who went today and in the earlier delistings have had their cards marked for some time.

• Like 2

Wouldn't cross go on the veterans list or I'm wrong

No such thing anymore.

Being a veteran is relevant to the salary cap, but in terms of the list, that got changed recently and there is no more 'veteran's list', it's all players on the one list (except for rookies, but there is a growing push to do away with rookies and have expanded senior lists).

Taggert did a full pre season this year and was in and out mixing it between Development Side and VFL seniors. No excuse to why he couldn't break into our team this year after if he had put a couple of consistent games like what Max Gawn, Dean Kent and even Toumpas when he went back.

If he was to be kept on next year he would be behind Toumpas, Kent, Viney, Michie, Trengove, Barry, Tyson, Vince, Clisby and even pick 9..

as I said before, he just wasn't that good.

Thank god the Barry Prendergast nightmare is over... Heck even CAC wasn't this bad was he??

One preseason, presumably limited by not stressing his back isn't enough for him to get full fitness.

I'm not too disappointed by this decision just surprised. Jetta's VFL season was no better than Taggerts.

outs: Sylvia (FA), Davey, Rodan, Macdonald (retired), Tynan, Davis, Sellar, Gillies, Taggert.

rookies delisted: Stark, Magner, Couch.

ins: Hogan (eligible), Tyson, Vince, Michie, Cross, Clisby (rookie upgrade).

so 3 more main spots on the list and 4 rookie spots.

draft #9, 40, 57, 91 (clisby upgrade).

or we may pass on 57 & select PSD#2.

I'm not too disappointed by this decision just surprised. Jetta's VFL season was no better than Taggerts.

I really don't understand the lack of love for Jetta... he was starting to show a lot at AFL level, but was then reported after which he was held back by Neeld and so his momentum was completely halted. I think Roos probably has seen something he likes about his game and believes he can harness his undoubted talent. As someone else mentioned, perhaps he is seen as our small forward option?

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 3

I really don't understand the lack of love for Jetta... he was starting to show a lot at AFL level, but was then reported after which he was held back by Neeld and so his momentum was completely halted. I think Roos probably has seen something he likes about his game and believes he can harness his undoubted talent. As someone else mentioned, perhaps he is seen as our small forward option?

Jetta played 3 years under Bailey before his two years under Neeld.

As to why I don't love him: he has no career-defining tricks. I know he has guts and lays a mean tackle, but doesn't get enough of the ball (has had less than 10 possessions in 13 of his 41 games), has little leg speed, isn't particularly dangerous with the ball, and is small. I feel for the guy because he has heart in spades and I've been waiting for 5 seasons for him to come on and prove me wrong, but...

• Like 5

You can now add Sheahan, Couch, Magner and Williams to that year's slections that didn't make it - and we can't even blame Prendergast for that disaster.

The only good thing is that no-one got much out of the lower end of that year's draft - Lachie Neale at 58 being one of the few that got through.

IIRC that draft (2011) was BP's farewell tour. Yes we traded away our first pick for Clark and yes GWS got the lion's share of the talent but to not have any one recruit make it past the 2 year mark is freaking diabolical.

• Like 3

Jetta played 3 years under Bailey before his two years under Neeld.

As to why I don't love him: he has no career-defining tricks. I know he has guts and lays a mean tackle, but doesn't get enough of the ball (has had less than 10 possessions in 13 of his 41 games), has little leg speed, isn't particularly dangerous with the ball, and is small. I feel for the guy because he has heart in spades and I've been waiting for 5 seasons for him to come on and prove me wrong, but...

Fair enough Nasher, but I think through all of those years (and I may well be wrong) he was never given a long enough string of games and never allowed to settle into one position long enough to develop his game. I think the MFC had a bit of a history of doing that and hopefully this is changing; Dunn immediately springs to mind.

• Like 1

Whilst I agree that 2011 draft was symptomatic of BP's poor recruiting record, he left pretty much straight after the draft - it was pretty clear to me that he was told what type of players to recruit by Neeld, and that he disagreed with Neeld's philosophy. They had some videos on Dee TV of the process and you could tell even then that BP was frustrated - it was almost as if he'd idenitified some players to pick and then Neeld came in and said "no way, it's these types or else". Given both of their track records, even if BP had more say in the recruiting that year, I suspect the success of our drafting wouldn't have been any different!!

I really don't understand the lack of love for Jetta...

He's been given opportunities, but he can't cement a position. He's not a goal sneak, he showed a bit down back but not a lot, and he's no mid. He doesn't excel anywhere.

I had an open mind, but when presented with opportunities he's fallen short. Too often.

Edited by Ben-Hur

I'd like to see what the BP lovers of a couple of years ago have to say now.

There were a couple on here that were simply gushing and took great pains to point out the top notch recruits he'd brought to the club; trouble is none of the recruits or recruiters are left to prove the gushers right.