WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - DOM TYSON

angrydee

Assuming we'll pick the absolute worst is just as silly as assuming we'll pick the absolute best.

Although we've been pretty good at picking the worst in recent history, times are a changing.

I know highlights aren't much to go by but Tyson's reel is impressive.

Good rig on the lad too, you'd think he was about 25.

944050-dom-tyson.jpg

Solid

Edited by Demonof94

If we get Bernie Vince (and by the way the Age is speaking, this is looking pretty likely), then this will have been a good trade period for us. I have to agree with what was said earlier in regards to how this has been done quietly without great loads of fan fare. It's been smart and business like.

However, and I don't want to be a Debbie Downer here, let's also keep in mind that the two blokes we have gotten have played a total of 14 games between them. We still need to get Vince on board to add some significant experience to the midfield.

Couldn't agree more, and I'm not trying to make a negative out of this deal because I think we've done pretty well. But we need to add some experience otherwise we're back to have an inexperienced midfield that will get pushed around. What we've done with pick 2 makes it vital that we land either Vince or Cross (or both) to offset the inexperience for the next 2 years.

Edited by Pates

Roos will get a fleet of big arsed mids.

Tyson, Michie, possibly Vince added to Jones and Viney.

He will want strength over the footy and the ability to win clearances. That would be goal 1 I would imagine.

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more, and I'm not trying to make a negative out of this deal because I think we've done pretty well. But we need to add some experience otherwise we're back to have an inexperienced midfield that will get pushed around. What we've done with pick 2 makes it vital that we land either Vince or Cross (or both) to offset the inexperience for the next 2 years.

I'd prefer to hold onto pick 9 in the draft for one of the many mids proposed to go at that pick....but for the reason bolded above I wouldn't be upset to trade 9 for say Danny Myers.

The club must have a pretty good idea who'll be available at pick 9, but on the surface I reckon we've paid overs. Losing pick 20 is the kick in the guts. There have been plenty of guns picked up in the 20+ plus range - Shuey, Beams, Sloane, Redden, etc. etc.

Clubs are big on net effect, so they may consider Michie at 54 (we get back 53) as part of that. It at least makes it seem better for me.

Supporters on here are so bias they won't be able to fathom that we may have got the lesser outcome, but I'd be very happy if i was a GWS supporter.

That said, I'm delighted to get Tyson, Michie, pick 9, who should be a gun, and hopefully Vince. Nathan Jones will be getting far more support than he's used to in 2014 and there is genuine hope as we move forward. the team on paper at least will start looking bloody good.

Fan, your lovechild won't be getting a game next year.

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 7

Roos will get a fleet of big arsed mids. Tyson, Michie, possibly Vince added to Jones and Viney. He will want strength over the footy and the ability to win clearances. That would be goal 1 I would imagine.

Really I think he just wants some genuine AFL players to work with. Talent.

Now he's got some. More to come.

He would have to be on astonishing coin for that to happen.

I remember reading he had a clause in his contract to stop him being a F/a and St Kilda were accessing the potential compo they would get for him as a f/a before releasing him from the clause rather then trading him.

The fact that they released him would suggest they are expecting a high pick as compo. Maybe pick 4 or pick 10 mid first round?

Really I think he just wants some genuine AFL players to work with. Talent.

Now he's got some. More to come.

We have a number who are not up to it in the middle. We sometimes lose 10 clearances in a row, we don't have the strength over the ball, the smarts to use it properly in close and if we win it we don't run hard enough to create options.

I have no doubt that the club is trying to remedy this through this trade period and the draft. It is obvious from the targets and those we have landed and those who have our interest.

And "talent" is a relative word.

• Like 1

The club must have a pretty good idea who'll be available at pick 9, but on the surface I reckon we've paid overs. Losing pick 20 is the kick in the guts. There have been plenty of guns picked up in the 20+ plus range - Shuey, Beams, Sloane, Redden, etc. etc.

Clubs are big on net effect, so they may consider Michie at 54 (we get back 54) as part of that. It at least makes it seem better for me.

Supporters on here are so bias they won't be able to fathom that we may have got the lesser outcome, but I'd be very happy if i was a GWS supporter.

That said, I'm delighted to get Tyson, Michie, pick 9, who should be a gun, and hopefully Vince. Nathan Jones will be getting far more support than he's used to in 2014 and there is genuine hope as we move forward. the team on paper at least will start looking bloody good.

I agree. GWS have got the good deal initially. We've got the potential in the deal depending on pick 9 and Tyson. Ok maybe the deal isn't in our favour but the chance is there for a genuine midfield that at least puts us in games next year. We had a percentage of 54% this year. If we get 10% improvement from coaching and development of the likes of Watts, McDonald, Trengove, Toumpas, Kent, Grimes and 10% improvement from Clark and Dawes being fit a young lad name Hogan and 10% more improvement by getting Michie, Tyson and Vince and then actually having a midfield then all of a sudden that has us at 84%. Brisbane won 10 games at 89%, Bulldogs 8 games at 85% and St Kilda won 5 games at 82%.

You do know Tyson bounces the ball with his opposite hand Ben!

The greatest Neeld-ism of the lot "it is what it is" after we copped yet another hiding. Well now Paul Roos has the list and the line must be it isn't that anymore.

Pick 9 may become pick 10 with the fa compo for dal santo

3 year deal on 450 a year for a 30 year old. Not going to happen

Edited by the master
  • Like 1

I remember reading he had a clause in his contract to stop him being a F/a and St Kilda were accessing the potential compo they would get for him as a f/a before releasing him from the clause rather then trading him.

The fact that they released him would suggest they are expecting a high pick as compo. Maybe pick 4 or pick 10 mid first round?

No they'll get the second round compo. It's just the best North had to offer was pick 26 and this way they get a better pick than that and now North will surely trade them Delaney who has some value for nothing. Massive win win for both and the rest of the clubs get screwed because an extra draft pick gets added just because St Kilda, North and Dal Santo decided to work on his contract.

Clubs are big on net effect, so they may consider Michie at 54 (we get back 54) as part of that. It at least makes it seem better for me.

I agree with this once we keep Pick 9, may also need to keep Sylvia compo pick now and offer a player/s and Pick 36(or whatever it is) for Vince

yeah you're right we'd be better off getting another Gysberts

We didn't get Gys with pick 9 so you have pulled that comparison out of your clacker.

If you are suggesting he is worth pick 9 then you are way off the money I'm afraid.

One of the bonuses of getting Dom is that he will no doubt get in the ear of some of his very talented ex teammates about them coming to the MFC

If we show big improvement next season they will be lining up to come to us

I could not be more proud of the MFC. We are in one of our worst periods of our history and within the football community we are seen as poison. The club required a person to sell the club and turn it around. In came PJ and the flow ineffective was getting Roos to the club. As good as Roos is, even with him the club is a hard sell.

With this in mind, IMO this trade period is a massive success. To some Michie may be seen as a minnow and maybe he is. But, within the footballing community he is seen as a massive talent. Free wanted him so did a few other clubs. He choose the Dees for some obvious reasons. He wanted time playing in a midfield role at a club he knew would give him opportunities. Regardless, he saw us as a club of choice. His manager said he wanted to play under Roos.

The club threw out pick 2 to clubs to a top line midfielder at the right age. Shuey and Rockcliff were seen as the type of player we wanted. Realistically these types of player very rarely leave their club. What came out of this strategy was many options and the club picked Tyson because he is a potential top line player and we still get a very good 1st round pick. By all reports Freeman is a player that Roos has his eye on.

In 2009 the club stuffed up it first round pick. Cook was a disaster. In 2010 the club traded out its first round pick. That's two years of not getting in top juniors. IMO that's the equivalent of what the Crows and the Bombers are currently experiencing with their sanctions, and what Carlton experienced with their sanctions

A big win for our club. Last year we got Toumpas, Viney, Barry and Dawes. this year we get Hogan, Tyson, Michie, and what's looks like Vince. We are loading up on talent just as GWS have, and got in some experience

Edited by Demonsterative
  • Like 8