WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - BERNIE VINCE

Ted Lasso

For the doubters of the Vince trade, have a read of the Adelaide forum on bigfooty.

Most of them are very upset he's left.

I read things like "excellent disposal", "smart decision maker", "most skilful midfielder at the club", "will miss his long goals from outside 50", "great clubman"

I think we have ourselves a solid B grader, which is fair compensation for pick 23/Sylvia

For the doubters of the Vince trade, have a read of the Adelaide forum on bigfooty.

Most of them are very upset he's left.

I read things like "excellent disposal", "smart decision maker", "most skilful midfielder at the club", "will miss his long goals from outside 50", "great clubman"

I think we have ourselves a solid B grader, which is fair compensation for pick 23/Sylvia

If he can get back to his best form of 09 we will have an elite midfielder. On the other hand if he continues his current form of the last 2-3 seasons we have at the very least a midfielder capable of complimenting Nate Jones & will give us an extra 20 possessions per game. Either way its a win IMO.

His on field leadership, work rate and commitment will prove highly beneficial especially on the younger players. This is exactly the type of player we need going forward in guiding our younger talent. I've always thought of the sporting industry and sporting clubs much like a work place - if you get a new job where the people who have been there the longest muck around, not take their job seriously and for granted it rubs off on you and you end up becoming lazy and wrapped up in an emotionally detrimental environment. However if you get a job in a place where its firm but fair, everyone puts in, there are stand out leaders, direction and commitment you are more likely to put in a harder work ethic yourself with the people you are surrounded by.

This is exactly what the MFC was not. With the party guys of the like of Slyvia out the door being replaced with on field leaders like Dawes, Vince and potentially Cross - you watch how our culture, work rate and professionalism will change for the better.

We will see how he goes. Undoubtedly a popular clubman, but I had the impression that a lot of that was to do with him being a bit of a lad.

As recently as 2012 the CEO of the Crows said this about him, and I quote " But it's another silly action, the latest in a few silly actions that Bernie has taken. At what point does our club say 'enough is enough'? In so many ways Bernie is an integral part of our organisation, but the silliness that goes with it sometimes Is a distraction to us."

Hopefully the move will do him good, but I actually thought Vince was a party guy, so in more ways than one we are replacing like for like :)

• Like 2

He is a great kick on both sides

I dont think SYlvia even had a left foot

That might explain why he stacked the new BMW.

Must have been a manual.

This is a long thread - I am not sure if this has been posted, but I like it.

A long goal kicking mid - someone we have sorely lacked.

Edited by monoccular

Great to see we have another great man coming down to Melbourne @bvince17 . Ill take ya under my wing bud . I have a spare room at mine

— Dane Swan (@swandane) October 19, 2013

Please no. Leave him alone for christ's sake

Well we've got a spare spot in the midfield and pick 40 if you and Bernard wanna get real cosy.

• Like 5

Vince and Swan have been mates for ages. They'll go out and drink every now and then. Maybe have a couple too many in the off season and during the bye weeks. But they'll train hard and play hard. I'm not too worried. Of course you have to do a lot of things right by your body to play AFL, but really when it comes down to it it's the hard training and playing hard that are the most important things.

If Vince wasn't responsible during the season and didn't train and play as hard as he does he wouldn't have made it to where he is in his career. Same for Swan.

• Like 1

Who cares? If he can play as good as Swan he can shoot smack into the veins in his eyelids for all I care.

Agreed. And the guy is 28 - he's at an age not to be influenced, if he wants to find trouble he'll do it all on his own no matter who he lives with.

I sense there is a two tiered plan with respect to rebulding the list. Get a few older players who'll have 2, 3, 4, years at the club providing some insurance to competitiveness whilst riding shotgun for the kids as they come in and get experienced, but not expected to carry the team as in recent flawed efforts. The older ones just need to do a decent job. They arent flagship players, nor need to be saints, just effective.

• Like 1

I sense there is a two tiered plan with respect to rebulding the list. Get a few older players who'll have 2, 3, 4, years at the club providing some insurance to competitiveness whilst riding shotgun for the kids as they come in and get experienced, but not expected to carry the team as in recent flawed efforts. The older ones just need to do a decent job. They arent flagship players, nor need to be saints, just effective.

Whilst true, it was also from these older players that Sydney managed to form the team culture.

Will that be the same thing here with our boys? or is the fact that we have put a bunch of younger boys in charge (possibly before their time) mean that Roos has to get the players to build culture from a different source...

• Like 1

We will see how he goes. Undoubtedly a popular clubman, but I had the impression that a lot of that was to do with him being a bit of a lad.

As recently as 2012 the CEO of the Crows said this about him, and I quote " But it's another silly action, the latest in a few silly actions that Bernie has taken. At what point does our club say 'enough is enough'? In so many ways Bernie is an integral part of our organisation, but the silliness that goes with it sometimes Is a distraction to us."

Hopefully the move will do him good, but I actually thought Vince was a party guy, so in more ways than one we are replacing like for like :)

So he's a bit of a lad and has played up with his end of season cricket buddies after a premiership. Who cares?

Who cares if he nuded up a few years ago under the influence. He lives and breaths sport, loves his footy and cricket.

I'm sure he is mature enough now and despite him being dropped this year at the Crows, I thought it was one of his more consistent years (along with his B&F season).

All the best for Col and Vince.

• Like 1