Thanks Robbo & Co

Whispering_Jack

Melbourne's 2013 Report Card

This is damning stuff about our team's performance throughout the season ...

TEAM STATS (total/percentage + AFL rank):

Disposals: 318.6.7 (18th)

Contested possession differential: -23.5 (18th)

Tackles: 61.1 (11th)

Clearance differential: -9.6 (18th)

Inside-50 differential: -18.0 (17th)

Scoring % inside 50: 46.5 per cent (17th)

Av points for: 66.1 (18th)

Av points against: 122.3 (17th)

Av winning margin: 22pts

Av losing margin: 64pts

DID YOU KNOW?

Melbourne has recorded a negative inside 50 differential in each of their past eight seasons. From 2007-2010 they recorded the worst differential of any side and since 2011 they rank in the bottom-four teams for inside 50 differential.

ROBBO'S VERDICT

Arguably the worst year in the club's history. Coach sacked, player unrest and public humiliation dotted the environment. Can Paul Roos save the foundation club?

... but it's also suggestive that based on 2013 alone we are more than entitled to a draft assistance by way of a priority pick or mini draft.

• Like 2

If we don't get a priority pick this year - .no one ever will

Agree, but perhaps 'will' should be 'should' in the above. I can imagine politics stopping us from getting one and in future years a team which has performed less badly than us gets one.

Agree, but perhaps 'will' should be 'should' in the above. I can imagine politics stopping us from getting one and in future years a team which has performed less badly than us gets one.

I can see this happening too. Consistency is not one of the AFL's strong suits.

Still waiting for the Carlton tanking investigation.

• Like 1

Our main PP has been the AFL assisting us in getting Jackson to the CEO posititon who in turn has procured Paul Roos.

We have recieved much.

A PP in this years draft is not tbat important to me.

We need to delelop who we have and trade hard in FA.

Too much importance has already failed badly with high draft picks.

The club needs to work hard and get dirty, not wait for gifts.

• Like 11

Our main PP has been the AFL assisting us in getting Jackson to the CEO posititon who in turn has procured Paul Roos.

We have recieved much.

Agree 100% wyl.

I have been saying this for years now.

This attitude would have produced a win against Richmond and a lot of others over the last six years.

We have recieved much.

My sentiments exactly, if the AFL has managed to get us Paul Roos and more stable then a PP would just be a massive bonus that IMO I don't think we desperately need.

There are people who are conflating two issues that are not necessarily connected.

A PP or other form of draft assistance are all warranted. I don't believe that anybody is claiming we tanked this year so what happened in 2009 is in the distant past and not relevant although we didn't pick the best choices and we didn't develop most of them as well as we might.

But other clubs also tanked/list managed etc. and gained a great deal without having cultural problems as a result of the exercise. Buddy & Roughhead at Hawthorn are good examples.

The point is that you can fix your culture and get assistance by way of the PP and I think we need both.

• Like 1

My sentiments exactly, if the AFL has managed to get us Paul Roos and more stable then a PP would just be a massive bonus that IMO I don't think we desperately need.

That's right we are such a strong side that we don't need improvement. Gee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have recieved much.

I agree for the most part WYL. I absolutely hate the handout entitlement mentality and I think the word "deserve" should be banned from the debate.

Having said that, I've adjusted my thinking on whether Melbourne needs a PP. The level of performance over an extended period is a strong indication that we do. We are just too many players short in the most important part of the ground. The club needs to start becoming competitive, and quickly.

I can't work out if it is pride or something else that makes people think like this. But our club DOES desperately need this. That is irrespective of whether we have stuffed picks in the past, not developed talent etc.... it's just a fact based on almost every statistic you can hope to look at for not just this year, but for the last 3-7 years. Statistically our club stinks in most areas you can think of, it's the 5th worst season in terms of wins in our clubs history, but flip it around and we suffered more losses this season than in any other season in our clubs history, and many of these were terrible losses (Av losing margin of 64pts!)

We need this PP, and it needs to be Pick 1 and even that is unlikely to make a huge difference. Only concession I will make to the PP is that I would not be against the AFL putting a clause on this PP stating that it has to be used as part of a trade rather than just a straight selection of the draft, our club needs an immediate injection of talent from established players, not another 18yr old.

• Like 3

I agree for the most part WYL. I absolutely hate the handout entitlement mentality and I think the word "deserve" should be banned from the debate.

Having said that, I've adjusted my thinking on whether Melbourne needs a PP. The level of performance over an extended period is a strong indication that we do. We are just too many players short in the most important part of the ground. The club needs to start becoming competitive, and quickly.

we are players short because of recruiting unsuitable kids. Gysberts & Cook.

Is that the fault of the AFL or the previous Clown School that was running the club.

I wouldn't mind if the AFL said "show some real improvement in 2014 and a PP is yours"

Make the club WORK for it. This is what begins culture. Hard hard work.

• Like 1

we are players short because of recruiting unsuitable kids. Gysberts & Cook.

Is that the fault of the AFL or the previous Clown School that was running the club.

I wouldn't mind if the AFL said "show some real improvement in 2014 and a PP is yours"

Make the club WORK for it. This is what begins culture. Hard hard work.

It still doesn't seem to be taking into consideration the facts of how the season has gone.

If we were under the old PP system we would have automatically been entited to an end of round pick last year, but automatically eligible to one this year (As would GWS incidentally)

Even under the new system where the commission makes the call (Wikipedia if true)

To allow for this situation, a formula has been developed that takes into account such factors as:

• premiership points that a club has received over a period of years (with greater weight to recent seasons),
  • a club's percentage (points for/points against x 100) over a period of years (another indication of on-field competitiveness, with greater weight to recent seasons),
  • any finals appearances that a club has made in recent seasons,
  • any premierships that a club has won in recent seasons, and
  • a club's injury rates in each relevant season.

Pretty certain that each of these dot points would point to the fact that we have sucked for an extended period of time (irrespective of injuries)

All of us want the club to work hard, get good culture, improve, win games and ultimately premierships, but pure facts on our season suggest that we need a PP for 2013.

Edited by Oucher

I must have been watching another team these past couple of years! How can anyone who's watched us recently say we don't desperately need the PP???

We need more than one Priority Pick! as unless we trade it for an experienced mid it will have minimal effect in 2014... i.e. equivalent of adding another Jack Viney... NIce in three years.

Edited by PaulRB

It still doesn't seem to be taking into consideration the facts of how the season has gone.

If we were under the old PP system we would have automatically been entited to an end of round pick last year, but automatically eligible to one this year (As would GWS incidentally)

Even under the new system where the commission makes the call (Wikipedia if true)

To allow for this situation, a formula has been developed that takes into account such factors as:

• premiership points that a club has received over a period of years (with greater weight to recent seasons),
  • a club's percentage (points for/points against x 100) over a period of years (another indication of on-field competitiveness, with greater weight to recent seasons),
  • any finals appearances that a club has made in recent seasons,
  • any premierships that a club has won in recent seasons, and
  • a club's injury rates in each relevant season.

Pretty certain that each of these dot points would point to the fact that we have sucked for an extended period of time (irrespective of injuries)

All of us want the club to work hard, get good culture, improve, win games and ultimately premierships, but pure facts on our season suggest that we need a PP for 2013.

I know all that.

I also know that this club has played for draft picks before,recruited apallingly and employed cheap untried coaches, which is why we are decimated.

Is that the fault of the other 17 clubs? No.

Now we may get a PP this year, but personally i think it is asking a little too much,

The CEO and Senior coach are just fine by me...

Is that the fault of the other 17 clubs? No.

Now we may get a PP this year, but personally i think it is asking a little too much,

The CEO and Senior coach are just fine by me...

Since when has it been relevant whether the other clubs have fault in this?

.... perhaps it's their fault for beating us so often by so much.

Since when has it been relevant whether the other clubs have fault in this?

.... perhaps it's their fault for beating us so often by so much.

It's not. The mess we are in is our own doing.

What i am saying is we have already had massive assistance.

I do not expect anymore. Many people on here are posting as if the PP is a god given right. It isn't.

It's not. The mess we are in is our own doing.

What i am saying is we have already had massive assistance.

I do not expect anymore. Many people on here are posting as if the PP is a god given right. It isn't.

I don 't agree with this thinking at all. Where in the criterium for the granting of a PP does it say if the AFL help you find a CEO, you aren't entitled to one. Or where does it say if you are such a basket case of a Club that you are given once off financial assistance you are no longer entitled to a PP.

It isn't a God Given right, it is a mechanism to help the health of the entire competition so that it isn't dragged down by Clubs that are uncompetitive for too long. We are well and truly in that predicament, from the words of PJ and many many others. We tick the box on every criteria for a PP. We desperately need 2-3 ready made midfielders or we will be in the wilderness for another 3-5 yrs. It doesn't matter of Roos is the coach or Norm Smith, if you don't have the cattle you can't create miracles. I bet you if the AFL had any role in getting Roos to MFC, he would have required a PP otherwise it is going to take too long to assemble a list and more importantly have an immediate impact to save the Club financially with increased memberships and sponsors.

• Like 1

Anyone know when the decision on the PP will be announced. I understood it happens after the last round of Home and Away, so shouldn't it be announced this week. Or does no announcement mean it isn't happening.

I don 't agree with this thinking at all. Where in the criterium for the granting of a PP does it say if the AFL help you find a CEO, you aren't entitled to one. Or where does it say if you are such a basket case of a Club that you are given once off financial assistance you are no longer entitled to a PP.

It isn't a God Given right, it is a mechanism to help the health of the entire competition so that it isn't dragged down by Clubs that are uncompetitive for too long. We are well and truly in that predicament, from the words of PJ and many many others. We tick the box on every criteria for a PP. We desperately need 2-3 ready made midfielders or we will be in the wilderness for another 3-5 yrs. It doesn't matter of Roos is the coach or Norm Smith, if you don't have the cattle you can't create miracles. I bet you if the AFL had any role in getting Roos to MFC, he would have required a PP otherwise it is going to take too long to assemble a list and more importantly have an immediate impact to save the Club financially with increased memberships and sponsors.

What you say maybe correct. We are that bad. But the main reason we are that bad i that we played the system for PP's in the first place.

I agree with the post above. I wish the PP never existed because it has never been used correctly by any club.

I doubt Roos can specify a PP as part of his deal, but we will find out.

If we get it, fine. Use it to draft an experienced Mid. But if we don't i will not lose any sleep over it.

We have talent. We can get 2-3 mids with shrewed bargaining.

Edited by why you little