Glen Bartlett - new President of the MFC

stuie

To be honest, if people are passionate AND qualified, I have nary an issue. It's just when the sole criteria of someone 'bleeding red and blue' is used to employ people is when I get annoyed. I hear a lot about how we 'couldn't find more passionate Demons' than Cuddles and CS but we tended to hear that usually directly after some massive f*** up they had caused.

I hope that the presidency is now settled, full stop. No Alan Stockdales of this world loitering in the background throwing mud.

Roll on Geoff Walsh!

agree completely re paid positions running or working in the club.

The board is different.

YES! this outdated notion of people having to bleed red and blue is one of the myriad of reasons the club is in a piece. drag yourself out of the '60s Satriconhome. This needs to be a professional organisation where appointments are chosen purely on the basis of them being the best out there. Have a look at the worlds most successful sporting leagues and teams. they go out and headhunt the best to lead their organisation. The AFL isnt a saturday arvo kick in the park anymore.

Clearly you want an apporpriate professional appointment, but if you can find someone who is also a supporter, so much the better.

What we need are supporters who have no outdated emotional attachment to the club. :>

agree completely re paid positions running or working in the club.

The board is different.

Hence why I added the caveat 'of putting people into positions of influence' though to be fair I put that in posthumously. To be honest, they should be a supporter BUT they need to have some corporate governance experience and should be a good operator. Don, while being a good lieutenant, didn't show any of these qualities when he was in charge (bizarre when you think about it as put frankly he should be oozing experience of that kind).

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/richard-colless-inherited-a-hospital-case/story-e6frg7mf-1226634965781

With our new president on board (Congratulations Glen), I thought it would be pertinent to put this article up. It just goes to show how long it can take to build something longlasting and meaningful but how you can do it if you have the right people in charge. Players are one thing but if the men up top are incompetent then it's hard for them to get criticized by said incompetent administrators. Having the right men up top gives the playing group less excuses. The fish rots from the head and recently our fish has had a bad case of the flesh eating virus borne from right between the eyes.

A good Gemini like myself!! Welcome Glen...

Hit the Ground running mate...If you saw Jack Watts on the [censored] box last night you know how much work WE all need to do.

This club is a shell right now.

That makes three of us wyl

Now AS please pack your tent and stay in Canberra please

They need to do this, Sunday is our last home game, we need to start to see our board take shape, until this happens filling key roles with in the club mainly Coach and Footy Manager can't happen. Would be great for a new President to host the lunch on Sunday,

I think he's probably already been warming the chair molding it into shape.

no doubt he's been working on the 'Coach situation' whilst onboard.

so I hope/wonder if an announcement is imminent?

Stockdale says no egm. Good. One of his running mates might need careful watching.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-16/bartlett-named-demon-president

Who is this Jacoby guy? Is he a relation of Gutnick's. Has he a spare 5 million to donate?

Who is this Jacoby guy? Is he a relation of Gutnick's. Has he a spare 5 million to donate?

I doubt that a relative of Joe's would align himself with Stockers.

Adam makes a good point and he's a smart young bloke with some good ideas. If his heart is in the club he should have a crack at getting onto the board regardless of the Stockdale ticket.

• Like 1

Stockdale says no egm. Good. One of his running mates might need careful watching.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-16/bartlett-named-demon-president

Now we know why the appointment took so long. Glad they took the time to sort it out first.

Hopefully a few other appointments will fall in place quickly over the coming weeks.

I doubt that a relative of Joe's would align himself with Stockers.

Adam makes a good point and he's a smart young bloke with some good ideas. If his heart is in the club he should have a crack at getting onto the board regardless of the Stockdale ticket.

I didn't agree with their position 'Jack' but you are right Adam is a smart young bloke with a passion for the football club. I had some contact with him over the issues they were pushing and suggested he would be better off without the ticket, he was very approachable and whilst we agreed to disagree on some things he was quite willing to listen and engage which is a good start.

ridiculous.

The board is not a paid position. The board is the members representatives regarding direction of the club. They can bring in non Melbourne experts (legal, finance, etc) but the president is Melbourne, he must be a supporter.

A for-profit company pays directors to make decisions in the best interests of the company: the best interest of the company is money making, not having a successful football team.

Volunteer directors at a not for profit organisation must have passion for the cause.

Our board will go out and hunt the best people to run the club. That is CEO and other staff. They don't need to be Melbourne people.

When you say "look at the most successful clubs they go out and headhunt the best" you do realise that it is the passionate supporters on those clubs boards that you are referring to doing the head hunt don't you?

The exception to this is privately owned clubs like uk premier league or nba, nfl. They are businesses. They make decisions based on making money for their owner not on success.

In the AFL we have clubs, which are different to businesses, even though we are now run *like* a business.

Unless you are advocating privatising the club you have no idea when calling for a non Melbourne president or board.

Im not calling for it , im well aware Bartlett is a club supporter, i m saying that to eliminate candicates automatically because they werent origianlly club supporters is an outdated notion. you get the best available. they dont have to be REde and Blue. their own self respect and determination to take on a challenge and do a job correctly is what is needed. If it wasnt then why dont we go get Neil Mitchell or Mike Sheahan?? Because they are not the best available. Yes its a club but it needs to be treated with the seriousness of a corporation because thats what pro sport is all about now. The era of the Old boys club has passed but unfortunately the MFC didnt see it coming.

To set the record straight, im actually very happy with this appointment but when i read Satyriconhomes thoughts from a bygone era it illustrated exactly the mentality that has stifled this club. Bartlett is a supporter but if he wasnt his credentials are still impressive. From now on MFC, we chase the best, not the best Demon.

Edited by Munga

Errm. That's what Redleg pointed out earlier hence why I revised my original post.

I believe there are some primary school kids in your area who are just begging for you to steal their bag of chocolate buddies and to reduce them to tears. Surely that is a better use of your time and resources!

the same could be said of yourself. I leave it you to follow up on what you believe its your standard to a T,

I thought then might have shown some basic human decency and decorum.

Too hard it seems.

the same could be said of yourself. I leave it you to follow up on what you believe its your standard to a T,

I thought then might have shown some basic human decency and decorum.

Too hard it seems.

Yes indeed Rhino. I came on here intentionally to insult RW cos I get my jollies by being a faux internet tough guy who intentionally shoots my mouth off to cover up my own insecurities. A bit like someone else I know.

I will duly retreat into my box now and give myself a good self-flagellation for my lack of morals.

I like the fact that we have a board containing both old and new blood that allows for the transition into the future. I trust that with the addition of one or two more good people we can move on to the pressing matters that need to be dealt with, most particularly the appointment of the coach.

I suspect that we're also going to see a lot of change both on and off the field. It's going to be fascinating and I suspect there's going to be controversy - hopefully in a positive way.

• Like 2

we change or we are dead in the water.

Sou'westers on folks. No plain sailing forecasted.