Watts, Trade or Keep

beelzebub

Keep or Trade Jack Watts  

264 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Watts is an absolute Gun. He'll be the fastest most versatile big man running around in the next two years. We've done the tough yards with him. Blooding him V Bombers and even then you could see he had it even though was a skinny kid from Brighton Grammar.

Foolish to even be talking about it but had to vent this and stand up to all you ANTI Watts Demonlanders.

If Melbourne can't hang on to Watts then don't expect us to attract any more stars to the club. All must see Watts sign. This would be a massive symbolic gesture alone not to mention the Guys gonna be a star.

If we lose him then it's more of the same Gillies, Sellar, Dawes, Pederson, Rodan and Byrnes types of Guys coming to Melbourne next year. Will be another sad year for Melbourne.

COACH...

1. EADE

2. WILLIAMS

3. VOSS

• Like 2

This is a hard call, my kids love him, has he delivered no will he every deliver each week who knows, all I know is we drafted him as a key forward, he isn't that, he is a high half forward, that can push up on the wing. He is hard to assess, what I would live to see is him sign a two year deal and we see him play in a forward line that will have Clark, Dawes and Hogan, if he can be that 4th tall he would be hard to stop.

But our midfield needs players, Watts is one player on our list that could be used to get a decent midfielder or another top 10 draft pick.

I would like to keep him but if the right trade was there more for a player than pick you would have to look at it. I think our forward line is dangerous enough with Clark, Hogan, Dawes, Howe and now with Fitzy as a second ruck/forward, we need players that can get the ball to them

As regards relying on Clark, Dawes and Hogan, you are talking about two champions who we are having difficulty even getting onto the paddock and a big kid who is yet to play AFL. I wouldn't be in a hurry to trade off an improving No. 1 draft pick who is a good kick for goals and has a huge upside. Our forward depth is not as deep as many Demonlanders like to make out!

• Like 1

As regards relying on Clark, Dawes and Hogan, you are talking about two champions who we are having difficulty even getting onto the paddock and a big kid who is yet to play AFL. I wouldn't be in a hurry to trade off an improving No. 1 draft pick who is a good kick for goals and has a huge upside. Our forward depth is not as deep as many Demonlanders like to make out!

Also, we can always move Jack onto the wing Richardson-style. He could do some massive damage there.

• Like 1

Clark and Dawes aren't "champions". That said, the club will determine Clark's and Dawes health and make any trade decisions accordingly. It appears Clark should have a full preseason and there's no reason Dawes isn't coming into his best years. You'll be talking about Watts' "upside" in another 5 years. The guy doesn't impact games of footy.

I understand you tempering your excitement about Hogan. You'll forgive me if I don't join you. Will be a frigging superstar.

• Like 3

How many times have I watched Melbourne play and seen Watts completely unable to lay a tackle or get the hard ball. He is the softest player in the afl. If can get a good midfielder I would be happy. Having said all this the guy does have some talent for the game but as ben hur said: pea heart.

• Like 2

Definitely keep, but as much as he needs to assess his future if/when we commit to keeping him we need to seriously ask him whether he wants to be one of the people to drag the club out of the hole it's dug. At the moment he is just playing, staying and getting us to the top will be a struggle so he will need to be up for a fight. He'll need mental strength that to be honest I haven't seen from him yet, if he doesn't think he's up to it then trade. I want him to stay not because of money but to be a part of the new Melbourne.

Up to our incoming to coach to inspire him.

I would trade one million dollars for one and a half million dollars, but I wouldn't trade one dollar for fifty cents. How can I say whether I'd trade Jack Watts if I don't know what I'd trade him for? Every player in the AFL is tradeable for the right price, some just would require so much in return that clubs wouldn't do it. If we were offered a good enough deal for Watts then I'd do it, but any talk of accepting pick 15 or worse, given our suicidal drafting record, is madness. If we can trade him, possibly packaged with a pick depending on the player, for a very good young midfielder in the Swallow/Sloane/Adams sphere, then I'm all for it. Any avenues to help significantly improve the midfield without damaging the key position core of Frawley/Garland/McDonald-Clark/Hogan/Dawes should be rigorously explored.

You are absolutely right, pantaloons. And the side point to this is how loyalty is a spigot that we have no trouble turning off, but when players see an end to their contract and a choice to be made on their future - we demand what we shouldn't demand.

Trade him, underperforming, soft, laconic, all of the things we don't need leaking into another group of young players.

and where are we going to play him? he got tagged out of the game as a half back because he simply doesn't work hard enough, he could play forward but then we're probably too top heavy with Clark, Dawes and Hogan

He has publicly stated he is not 100% sure he wants to be part of the MFC, if we're going to get out of this mess it will take an entire club united on the fact they're 100% committed to the cause.

Lots of people claim 100% this or that, but the reality is rarely so absolute. Is posturing with the right words, never mind the truth, really what we require? The elephant in this chatroom is the almost entirely disfunctional state of our club.

And history tells us that lots of those who have "bled red and blue" have plssed off elsewhere without a backward glance when their door opened.

But, oh, Jack, don't you dare tell the real and obvious and entirely reasonable truth!! The Emperor is beautifully dressed, how can you say such things!

I say it takes a kind of courage, not a pea-heart, not to mention integrity and intelligence, to say what is true but which will obviously be unpalatable to those listening.

And meanwhile we bay for blood because Essendon is trying to evade telling the truth. Is there some inconsistency here - what are we really wanting in the world of sport? Or is the issue of honesty different when it is about our own club?

Watts is just like Roos, admitting when asked that he is thinking about it, and not convinced yet. Pathetic, both of them!

• Like 2

Should be ommitted this week.

You can excuse players for having a bad day, but you don't compromise your intensity at the footy.

Neil Craig...make a f%$^ing statement and drop him.

• Like 3

He's had 23 disposals... That's more then double Nathan Jones....

He is playing as a loose man in the back line, that is where the ball has been most of the time as a designated kicker.

IDGAF about his possession count. He has been deplorable. Will only play footy on his terms. Will not put himself in a position to win a contest.

If this club is serious about becoming competitive and mixing it up with the big boys he does not play next week.

Edited by dandeeman
  • Like 3

He is playing as a loose man in the back line, that is where the ball has been most of the time as a designated kicker.

IDGAF about his possession count. He has been deplorable. Will only play footy on his terms. Will not put himself in a position to win a contest.

If this club is serious about becoming competitive and mixing it up with the big boys he does not play next week.

do you think we would have won if he wasnt playing today? Do you think we will win if he isn't playing next week?

do you think we would have won if he wasnt playing today? Do you think we will win if he isn't playing next week?

No and no.

• Like 1

so has anyone else played bad today? Or just him? Why are you targeting Jack? Do you have an agenda?

Others played poorly, but on intensity and effort Jack was the 22nd player out there from what I saw.

Yes I have an agenda.

• Like 1

He's had 23 disposals... That's more then double Nathan Jones....

He got them standing still in the open, no effort required to get them.

Most disposals went backwards to keep his SC score.

Compare with Davey; 13 disposals and 95% tried to pick a team mate further upfield.

Davey's 13 possies were of more value than Watts's and he only played 1/2 a game.

Agree with Dandeeman; Craig should drop him this week and tell him to go back to the twos and develop

1. Some football nous

2. An heart and

3. A killer instinct.

If Craig has the fortitude to do this he has my support for the next coach.