The James Aish Thread

A lot of talk about Aish sliding but I'm still confident he will go high and GWS might be sucking everyone in with talk of Kelly. It would be a little ironic if he goes at 2 where we all assumed he would go all those months ago when his name was first being bandied around Demonland and we seemed destined to finished the season with pick 2.

Played his best footy against the tiges in that final this year. I still rate him as a pretty good player.

He played some good games and went missing in others(obviously he's not alone). His second year under Malthouse will be an interesting one.

No confidence in the recruiters Robbie?

I'll support them. If they reckon Salem is best at pick 9 he must be pretty good. You should have some faith.

Telling a demon supporter to have some faith in recruiters, lol ^ this guy..

• Like 1

No confidence in the recruiters Robbie?

I'll support them. If they reckon Salem is best at pick 9 he must be pretty good. You should have some faith.

Faith in Melbourne Bwahahahaha.

Look, I just don't have a great feel for Salem, but what would I know.

Faith in Melbourne Bwahahahaha.

Look, I just don't have a great feel for Salem, but what would I know.

Fair enough.

Do you mind explaining why? Is it something about his game you don't like?

He seems a more 'complete' player than Freeman in my eyes. The one thing that excites me is that he can win his own ball and doesn't seem too frightened. Any player with sublime footy skills such as kicking, marking and decision making coupled with a bit of aggression is a big tick.

I'm frustrating myself with the constant comparisons and who is edging out who.

All I know is that it's obvious there are a handful of mids that seem very hard to separate. Each will respond, develop and grow differently at each respective club they go to.

I just hope that the player we pick has a similar attitude and mentality to Jack Viney in that they are confident, self driven and have the desire to do all they can to get the best out of themselves and help the MFC rise again.

I'm confident that will be a priority for Paul Roos and co.

• Like 2

Faith in Melbourne Bwahahahaha. Look, I just don't have a great feel for Salem, but what would I know.

Viney and Taylor are relatively new to their roles and they need time to show their skills. Viney did an amazing job last draft and Taylor's influence is in its first year

Bwahahahaha would be (is childish) correct if BP was still in a recruiting role at the club.

• 1 year later...

Little line in today's Hun that mentions we are heavily in the race to acquire James Aish at year's end.

Would love him, but still consider it fairly unlikely that he would choose us over the two Adelaide clubs if he leaves Brisbane.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/claye-beams-jonathan-freeman-re-sign-with-brisbane-lions-james-aish-chase-continues/story-fndv8d6r-1227294688058

• Like 1

* That special feeling when you open an old bumped thread and discover you haven't said anything idiotic. *

As for Aish, Dangerfield or any other quality player on the market at season's end, it will be nice to be buyers for a change if that eventuates.

• Like 3

Little line in today's Hun that mentions we are heavily in the race to acquire James Aish at year's end.

Would love him, but still consider it fairly unlikely that he would choose us over the two Adelaide clubs if he leaves Brisbane.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/claye-beams-jonathan-freeman-re-sign-with-brisbane-lions-james-aish-chase-continues/story-fndv8d6r-1227294688058

Like Mitch Clark, does he want to go home or just leave Brisbane?

Well last time we got involved in a player leaving Brisbane it looked like the deal of a century for 10 weeks before costing us badly.

Aish would be a really nice complement to the ball winners - Brayshaw, Petracca, Tyson, Viney, Neal-Bullen - that we have drafted to be the backbone of our midfield. Aish, Stretch and Toumpas competing for outside roles, we can dream I guess.

1 game in and we are looking like a club that talented players would have some interest in joining. But it's a long season.

Also if Dangerfield leaves Adelaide then I can't see anyway Aish doesn't go there or stay at Brisbane. They'll have draft picks to make the trade, salary to spend and the natives in South Australia will be desperate for a big signing.

Just reading through this thread there were a number of people not wanting to draft Salem and go Freeman instead.

I'd imagine they would be very happy the recruiters went with Salem now!

In fairness to Freeman, we haven't even seen him play a game yet. He could explode on to the scene this year..

• Like 1

In fairness to Freeman, we haven't even seen him play a game yet. He could explode on to the scene this year..

Speaking to a Collingwood supporter at the VFL match Saturday. Recons that Freeman is very soft. Ducks head in marking contests, doesn't go hard at ground level contest when it is his turn. Very interesting to hear because I thought Freeman would be a good pick up.

After hearing all that much, much happier with Salem.