Aaron Davey in 2014

Demon Jack

Davey has regained some form in the last month and has showed glimpses that he is still the player he once was. If he finishes the season well, do we sign him up for 2014? Lord knows we could use the experience.

Depending on his performance for the rest of the year, I think a one year deal is a safe bet. I reckon Aaron is the kind of guy to understand that he isn't the player he was and one year deals from here on in (dependent on form) make sense as he is 30 in a few days and recent years haven't been great.

• Like 1

Davey has regained some form in the last month and has showed glimpses that he is still the player he once was. If he finishes the season well, do we sign him up for 2014? Lord knows we could use the experience.

Its probably too early to make the call... as you say if he finishes the season well, and from that I mean form AND physically well. I wouldn't have a problem signing him for an additional year...

Long way to go before considering it though :)

I think we have to retain him for another year if he want's to stay on. Who know's, he might want to have a spell.

For to long we have been showing the door to many players, some who deserve it, some who don't. The spirits of the one's who didn't deserve it will continue to haunt the MFC with lingering effects.

If he still shows a bit and wants to stay on then definitely keep him for another year. Hopefully this show of devotion from both player and MFC has positive effects on the culture and the next generation of players can see the MFC is somewhere to start and finish your career.

Also from speaking to a couple players I have met and watching training it's obvious he is loved by the playing the group. They lift a bit when he is out there and we can't afford to lose another person who is seen as a leader after losing Riv last year.

Absolutely. Important player for the club off field too.

Give him a year, to be reviewed annually thereafter.

• Like 1

He seems to have bought in to the current football departments regime and is having some success on field. If this is the case, given his standing with the playing group I hope he is retained.

Depends how we are travelling at delistings.

If we can find the draft picks/trades to turn over the list we could have up to 10 from the primary list go. I'll nominate the following 10: Davey, Nicholson, Bail, Sellar, Spencer, Gillies, Rodan, Davis, Tynan, Macdonald. Plus Sylvia could go and Watts and Blease make perfect trade candidates for draft picks/young up and coming midfielder.

Now from that lot I think you'd want to keep one of the big defenders and maybe Bail for his training/edurance, you could also make a case for Tynan if he keeps improved form in the VFL seniors.

If we upgrade Magner and Clisby (or alternatively keep them as rookies but downgrade our senior list to 38 with 2 extra rookies) and then hit the draft for: Round 1, Round 2 + Priority Pick, Round 3, Round 4, FA, PSD then we will need to clear space.

At the end of the day its Form, Leadership and his body that are the 3 biggest aspects. He seems to be doing well in all 3 at the moment.

Davey has been and still is a great servant of the Club. His freakish goals from the pocket are always a joy to watch especially in 2013 when nobody else are kicking any! To my mind there is no question about keeping him (unless anybody prefers Gillies)!

we should do what the hawks did with Crawford. They signed him up to continuous 1 yr deals in his last couple of years depending on his performances. If we don't sign Davey on for next year we should defintely consider him for some sort of mentor role at the club.

Agree with many. Has been a wonderful servant to the club through some very poor years. His association with the club needs to continue in the short term as a player, and, I would hope, in a developmental type role beyond that.

i'd be happy for it to be a year by year thing with Aaron. He's no worse than some of the old guys we signed up this year

Hardly a valid yardstick to be measuring the future of the club upon. Too much IIWII in this.

I'd have him as a skills coach. Plenty to teach the young kids.

• Like 1

I think we have to retain him for another year if he want's to stay on. Who know's, he might want to have a spell.

For to long we have been showing the door to many players, some who deserve it, some who don't. The spirits of the one's who didn't deserve it will continue to haunt the MFC with lingering effects.

If he still shows a bit and wants to stay on then definitely keep him for another year. Hopefully this show of devotion from both player and MFC has positive effects on the culture and the next generation of players can see the MFC is somewhere to start and finish your career.

Also from speaking to a couple players I have met and watching training it's obvious he is loved by the playing the group. They lift a bit when he is out there and we can't afford to lose another person who is seen as a leader after losing Riv last year.

Absolutely. Important player for the club off field too.

Give him a year, to be reviewed annually thereafter.

If his form is up to it, I would offer him a year by year contract as a player.

If not, and he doesn't want to move on, perhaps there is some sort of rôle at the club as an indigenous mentor?

I'd love to keep Davey, but not at a cost.

Considering Aaron has been our highest paid player over the past 5 years, I think he'd stay for less.

It shouldn't be too hard to come to some sort of agreement, it's not like he is setting the world on fire anymore.

But we would all be happy that so far this year, we have seen a much improved Davey.

Was finished 2 years ago

You obviously haven't been watching any matches this year!