Dunn

dazzledavey36

I don't mind Dunn - much rather have him on the list than a Sellar, Nicho, Pederson etc.

Is tall, strong, versitile and a good kick

None of that is true. He's weak, squibs contests, pretends to be aggressive, can't play anywhere properly, and isn't really that good of a kick.

Nonetheless, at a time like this threads about individual players aren't really fair or appropriate.

• Like 6

Just doesn't perform under pressure. To be fair he's got plenty of team mates

Yes, and sometimes they just don't perform even when under little to no pressure. Poorly skilled in general and little to no confidence in their disposal skills means little run in the whole team and a lazy appearance because very few are confident that they'll be able to find a player once they receive. They look for the easy layoff backwards or lateral just so ithey don't have to be responsible. Most are playing like rabbits in a headlight.

Most AFL teams are able to work their way through congestion and out of it, and get the run/overlap happening with good use of handball (2 or 3 in quick succession along with short passing). Our handball skills are shyzenhousen around congestion and our players use it alot less than other clubs. We mostly just bang the ball onto the boot forward if we get into any space. Opposition teams, or at least the decent ones, push a defensive player and/or a mid a short kick or so on the offensive side of the pack/congestion waiting for the quick panick kick and back it comes over our heads into our backline, again, usually with pricision and a shot on goal results. Look at the marks i50 differential vs other teams. It's massive! Someone at the club has recognised this massive defficiency in our style (Neeld/Craig pointing it out to Neeld or someone) and they're trying to rectify it with more emphasis on clearing congestion with quick handball in and around the contest. I believe this emphasis (on skills) started in the week prior to the game against the Tigers or maybe the one prior to GCS.

So Neeld's upped the ante in the last few weeks on this, but it's probably too little too late. Most of the players confidence and belief is already shot to pieces to be able to recoup and put into place anything learned on the training track in the last few weeks under match day pressure. Although there was some evidence of it in small patches of last week's game against the Tigers. I didn't see todays match so i can't comment. Maybe after another 10 to 12 weeks of practice we might start to see something take shape from this hard work on the training track! Where have i heard that before! That's in a normal AFL team though. Longer at the MFC probably.

I don't mind Dunn - much rather have him on the list than a Sellar, Nicho, Pederson etc.

Is tall, strong, versitile and a good kick

He's ok at playing a similar sized player (ie., clunky and a tad slow) fairly close in defense. His long kicking is impressive, particularly for goal. His kicking in open play when under little or no pressure is average to poor at best, particularly his short passing attempts (ie., under about 30 meters).

Should not have re-signed him. He's a good kick but cannot make a position his own after years on the list.

As above re kicking but i agree, hasn't been able to hold down and impact in any position for more than the odd occasional game.

Like Watts , another forward they are trying to turn into a backman.

At best he's a decoy forward coming off the bench. Like many of our backs he has poor disposal skills in close or when attempting to hit up targets on a short pass. Best to play him forward to avoid this or alternatively have someone run past for the hand off whenever he marks to run off and deliver up the field like Davey or Terlich.

Thats an insult into forwards. Dunn was no better as a forward, actually he was worse.

I wouldn't say he's worse as a forward. See notes above. Maybe a 50/50 proposition either forward or back. Possibly just in favour of being a decoy forward. Why? .... Less ability to turn the ball over in that role (via attempts to short pass where he often turns it over and/or playing on blindly into pressure without assessing the situation after marking in the back line.....this after 100+ games!!) and can score from anywhere inside 55 meters. One of the few players in the team that can do this atm. Howe the other from i50.Clark when fit. Can fill a role as decoy and take the heat off Dawes and Howe (when Howe's going there). I believe Dunn could also be used to fill Chip's role at FB without much of downside, provided Dunn is instructed to play to his strengths (ie., long kicking only, like Chip!!, and doesn't play on as soon as he marks in defence with a resultant attempt at a dud short pass). Ideally he shouldn't be in our 22 at this point but there isn't much pushing up from Casey to take his place unfortunately.

Chip to be moved up forward until Clark returns. TIme for a change up and to try and freshen Chip up/give him a different perspective/role.....at least for the next 6 weeks or so to see what he might offer. Chip looks flat as a tack atm and has virtually no impact on the contest anymore.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

Like Watts , another forward they are trying to turn into a backman.

dunn started ducking his head & dropping easy marks in the forwardline from his first game,,, & hasn't stopped it.

His first game was a night game that I remember @ the 'G' against the old cats side. before they were good.

imo, watts is better than that, & may turn out OK? if he doesn't take shortcuts. running away isn't the answer.

Is Dunn our real issue?

No he isn't.

He is a NQR trying to be a role player and he is being shown up unlike his equivalent at other clubs because there is nowhere to hide at Melbourne, no-one's coattails to ride, no wave to ride the crest of.

Attacking individual players is pointless.

We should be lamenting those that which we do not have - 4 or 5 dependable midfielders to shoulder the burden of getting the footy out of the middle and across the ground.

Hannebery, Goodes, O'Keefe, McVeigh, and Jack combined for 91 uncontested possessions on Friday night (Malceski added 24 too...)

Melbourne had 158 the week before against the Tigers at the same ground...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

• Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

WARNING by William from Waalitj

As a long term resident of Waalitj Marawar, I am moved to warn my fellow Narrm fans that a  danger game awaits. The locals are no longer the easybeats who stumbled, fumbled and bumbled their way to the good fortune of gathering the number one draft pick and a generational player in Harley Reid last year. They are definitely better than they were then.   Young Harley has already proven his worth with some stellar performances for a first year kid playing among men. He’s taken hangers, k

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 20

OVER YET? by KC from Casey

The Friday evening rush hour clash of two of the VFL’s 2024 minnows, Carlton and the Casey Demons was excruciatingly painful to watch, even if it was for the most part a close encounter. I suppose that since the game had to produce a result (a tie would have done the game some justice), the four points that went to Casey with the win, were fully justified because they went to the best team. In that respect, my opinion is based on the fact that the Blues were a lopsided combination that had

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

CENTIMETRES by Whispering Jack

Our game is one where the result is often decided by centimetres; the touch of a fingernail, a split-second decision made by a player or official, the angle of vision or the random movement of an oblong ball in flight or in its bounce and trajectory. There is one habit that Melbourne seems to have developed of late in its games against Carlton which is that the Demons keep finding themselves on the wrong end of the stick in terms of the fine line in close games at times when centimetres mak

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

PREGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

The Demons have a 10 day break before they head on the road to Perth to take on the West Coast Eagles at Optus Stadium on Sunday. Who comes in and who goes out?

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 526

PODCAST: Rd 09 vs Carlton

The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Sunday, 12th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons loss at the MCG against the Blues in the Round 09. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE:

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 30

VOTES: Rd 09 vs Carlton

Last week Captain Max Gawn consolidated his lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Jake Lever, Jack Viney & Clayton Oliver make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Blues. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 39

POSTGAME: Rd 09 vs Carlton

The Demons were blown out of the water in the first quarter and clawed their way back into the contest but it was a case of too little too late as they lost another close one to Carlton losing by 1 point at the MCG.  

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 486

GAMEDAY: Rd 09 vs Carlton

It's Game Day and the Demons are once again headlining another blockbuster at the MCG to kick off the round of footy. The Dees take on the Blues and have the opportunity to win their third game on the trot to solidify a spot in the Top 4 in addition to handing the Blues their third consecutive defeat to bundle them out of the Top 8.

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 959

MELBOURNE BUSINESS by The Oracle

In days of old, this week’s Thursday night AFL match up between the Demons and the Blues would be framed on the basis of the need to redress the fact that Carlton “stole” last year’s semi final away from Melbourne and with it, their hopes for the premiership.  A hot gospelling coach might point out to his charges that they were the better team on the night in all facets and that poor kicking for goal and a couple of lapses at the death cost them what was rightfully theirs. Moreover, now was

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 1
  • Tell a friend

Love Demonland? Tell a friend!
  • Podcast 

• Podcast 

• Podcast Stream 

Open Stream in
    New Window
        TuneIn    Opens in New Tab
  • Support Demonland  

• 2021 Premiership  

• Social Media 

• Non MFC Games  

NON-MFC: Round 10

Discussion of all the other games that don't involve the Demons in Round 10 ... READ MORE

Demonland | Round 10

• PreGame      

PREGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

The Demons have a 10 day break before they head on the road to Perth to take on the West Coast Eagles at Optus Stadium on Sunday. Who comes in and who goes out? ...READ MORE

Demonland | May 18

• Match Preview      

WARNING by William from Waalitj

As a long term resident of Waalitj Marawar, I am moved to warn my fellow Narrm fans that a danger game awaits ... READ MORE

Demonland | May 16

• Latest Podcast      

PODCAST: Rd 09 vs Carlton

The boys dissected the agonisingly disappointing 1 point loss to Carlton lamenting giving the Blues a 6 goal head start and praising Trac for almost single handedly snatching victory from the jaws of defeat ... LISTEN

Demonland | May 13

• Casey Report      

OVER YET? by KC from Casey

The Friday evening rush hour clash of two of the VFL’s 2024 minnows, Carlton and the Casey Demons was excruciatingly painful to watch, even if it was for the most part a close encounter ... READ MORE

Demonland | May 12

• Match Report      

CENTIMETRES by Whispering Jack

Our game is one where the result is often decided by centimetres; the touch of a fingernail, a split-second decision made by a player or official, the angle of vision or the random movement of an oblong ball in flight or in its bounce and trajectory ... READ MORE

Demonland | May 10

• Post Game      

POSTGAME: Rd 09 vs Carlton

The Demons were blown out of the water in the first quarter and clawed their way back into the contest but it was a case of too little too late as they lost another close one to Carlton losing by 1 point at the MCG ...READ MORE

Demonland | May 09

• Votes      

VOTES: Rd 09 vs Carlton

Last week Captain Max Gawn consolidated his lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Jake Lever, Jack Viney & Clayton Oliver make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Blues. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 ...READ MORE

Demonland | May 09

• Game Day      

GAMEDAY: Rd 09 vs Carlton

It's Game Day and the Demons are once again headlining another blockbuster at the MCG to kick off the round of footy. The Dees take on the Blues and have the opportunity to win their third game on the trot to solidify a spot in the Top 4 in addition to handing the Blues their third consecutive defeat to bundle them out of the Top 8 ... READ MORE

Demonland | May 09

• Player Interview  

PODCAST: Kade Chandler Interview

I interview Kade Chandler about his road from being overlooked in the draft to his rookie listing to his apprenticeship as a sub to VFL premiership player to his breakout 2023 season to mainstay in the Forward line and much more ... LISTEN

Demonland | May 01

• Training  

Monday, 29th April 2024

Demonland Trackwatcher Kev Martin was on hand at Gosch's Paddock for Monday's training session and made the following observations ... READ MORE

Demonland | April 29

• Next Match 

Round 10

vs   

Sunday 19th May 2024
    @ 06:20pm (OS)

• MFC Forum  

• Match Previews & Reports  

• Training Forum  

• AFLW Forum  

• 2024 Player Sponsorship

• Topics