Ox on Open Mike tonight

P-man

It was an outstanding interview imo .... even better than his book, because the emotion was palpable. I loved the Ox as a player, I admire the way he has turned his life around post-football, and I love his honesty as a person. Well done David!

• Like 6

I agree with what he said about knowing the players would stand behind him. He was/is a fiercely proud person.

We need to get him back involved in our footy club. His competitive nature commands respect.

I'd vote for him to be on our board. Hell, I'd go door to door for him drumming up support.

• Like 2

Would love the Ox to become a full time forward coach for the MFC

if we could get Worsfold as senior coach for 2014 and bring in the Ox too, then suddenly there is a lot of hope

I'm sorry... What creditials does the Ox bring to the MFC to show that he would be a good forward coach?

TBH, I think we are better off staying with Leroy Brown.

Silly claim if you ask me.

Gippy

• Like 4

I'm sorry... What creditials does the Ox bring to the MFC to show that he would be a good forward coach?

Umjmm maybe because he was one of the best CHF;s in the history of the club, and in 1994 was as good as Carey

He kind of knows what to takes to play in the forward line, and on top of that he is a great leader and would be a great teacher for the players

Cant believe I needed to explain that to you champ

• Like 8

I agree with what he said about knowing the players would stand behind him. He was/is a fiercely proud person.

We need to get him back involved in our footy club. His competitive nature commands respect.

I'd vote for him to be on our board. Hell, I'd go door to door for him drumming up support.

One thing is for certain, our Club wouldn't 'lay down and be walked all over' if David had anything to do with the matter.

• Like 1

What did he say about the current club and organisation?

Basically that if you were to say the first three rounds were players playing for their coach, you'd be lying. Questioned if the GWS game (obviously taped right after it) was merely a bandaid.

Saw the club's survival being at stake and said he'd be open to any role admin or coaching, so long as he was able to maintain a steady income. He clearly sees the situation as being pretty dire.

Edited by P_Man
  • Like 1

Umjmm maybe because he was one of the best CHF;s in the history of the club, and in 1994 was as good as Carey

He kind of knows what to takes to play in the forward line, and on top of that he is a great leader and would be a great teacher for the players

Cant believe I needed to explain that to you champ

No doubt he was a champ back in the day. I watched nearly every week at the G back in 94.

But that doesn't make them a great coach.

Don't forget he has spent about 10 years out of the game except as his role as a commentator for Channel 7 and SEN.

I would personally rather have someone with a little apprenticeship and current footy nous to take the reins at the MFC.

No offence but that's the way I see it.

Gippy

• Like 3

Did they show footage from his career?

I've got quite a few of his great games from '94 on DVD but there's very little on YouTube, and he took plenty of big grabs before '94.

Yes, the first 10 minutes was all about his playing days they showed a lot of footage

Ox said that when he made his comeback after the 3rd knee his playing weight was 123 kilos

• Like 1

Interesting to hear his opinion that Neeld won't be there in 2014.

Going at Neelds current rate I would not argue with that remark.

The Ox will be back at the club next year imo, have heard him speak on radio over the last 2 weeks.

If the Ox speaks people will listen. In a different way he has the ability to inspire like Jimmy did.

Get the right people around him.

The Ox is a fighter. Its what the club needs right now.

Edited by why you little
  • Like 2

This is someone we need at the club in an official capacity, bleeds red and blue, very honest and passionate, all the things the Melbourne football club should but sadly doesn't currently stand for.

• Like 3

We need the Ox back at the club. It's another step in the process of getting ex players back into the club (though it sounds like David was the offending party in this case). I don't think we need to go overboard though. I have heard some intimating he should run for the presidency. That would be stupid. He just needs to get in there and start doing something.

This is someone we need at the club in an official capacity, bleeds red and blue, very honest and passionate, all the things the Melbourne football club should but sadly doesn't currently stand for.

Someone who bleeds red and blue does not pot the coach in public like that. Most unhelpful.

• Like 6