Ox on Open Mike tonight

P-man

Please read some of the posts in this and other topics, I would expect him to walk across the Yarra to the G

I think you're reading far too much into those posts, possibly to suit this agenda you seem to have regarding people with addiction.

I just don't undersatand what was to be gained from you going off on this crusade in a generally positive thread. To broadcast for the 1000th time that you help the club? Yep, got that part loud and clear.

• Like 1

Let's take as an example which I prefer of another so called bad boy, Col Sylvia, one or two blemishes, but he realised what he was doing, so now but without fanfare he spends time visiting the RCH on a regular basis to keep himself grounded, using his 'celebrity' for good and you will find him volunteering to do a lot of the community work with the Club as a way of giving back

And taking swings at teammates in nightclubs at 3AM. Left that bit out. ;)

And taking swings at teammates in nightclubs at 3AM. Left that bit out. ;)

If that's a reference to the supposed Frawley/Sylvia altercation, that has never been proven to have happened at all. The thread was closed I believe and never reopened because apart from on here and on BigFooty, there was no other reporting.

It was a little lighthearted attempt at humour hardtack based on one persons reporting of a personality, versus another.

To make it more obvious should I have gone with the Spanish spelling and inserted the smiley faces at both ends of the statement like ;)so;)?

*Edited because I unintentionally but Ironically screwed up the smiley faces

Edited by The heart beats true

I think you're reading far too much into those posts, possibly to suit this agenda you seem to have regarding people with addiction.

I just don't undersatand what was to be gained from you going off on this crusade in a generally positive thread. To broadcast for the 1000th time that you help the club? Yep, got that part loud and clear.

What agenda, I have an opinion, remember them, only certain posters on here seem to have the right to have them.

I wasn't going on a crusade, I again have an opinion on addiction, others may not share it, but that's cool, but I have the right to my opinion

I am not broadcasting, I have made it clear I do it because I want to, if I can shame/encourage/persuade/assist others in doing it fine, if you have a problem with that, as I have said a million times before don't read my posts

I do it because I love the Club, and want to give something back, strange seems I have heard that before somewhere

Satyriconhome, on 30 Apr 2013 - 12:26, said:

You take up gambling, you can walk away any time, like smoking, drinking, etc etc, any addiction, if you have the bottle you can walk away.....he was a great player agree, 10 years ago, will remember him for that..........he has only offered, where is the action, all talk at the moment and potting the coach (my opinion)

As for Melbourne supporter, yes I am, but just don't fawn over the players, they are just footy players, Jimmy Stynes excepted who became much more

I am quite happy with the work crew who are attempting to get us out of the hole at the moment, if he wants to help, pick up a shovel

I think you have a very simplified version of addiction. It's not that easy, especially gambling because its something ingrained in Australian culture and so easy to do. You don't even have to tell anyone you are doing it unlike smoking which people will notice or drugs which you can say hey why did you even try them. And Ox has beat it.

I agree potting the coach might not have been the smartest thing for do but look at it this way, he currently has no ties to the club and was asked a question. His reasoning was very straight forward - the first 3 games don't indicate a group of players doing it for the coach.

I agree ex players don't have a right to just expect a position for them to be created to help the club. They have to find some way to get their skills in use. What I can say though is our board has one football person in Healy. If Ox is willing to walk the tightrope like Dunstall and avoid all media questions relating to Melbourne and also supportive of our current board then there could be room for him. It's still got a lot of top quality business men and a woman, but our biggest issue right now is our football department seem in shambles. All this depsite increased resources from the Bailey crew. And I'm not convinced its purely a catch up issue.

If the Jackson review finds that the football department is lacking the next question must be how do we fix it. The last 2 processes haven't seemed to work. Greater board involvement with the FD might help and Ox could play a role.

Why, you obviously haven't.

As I said the other day, if you don't like what I write then don't read it, it ain't gonna break my heart, I write to offer an opinion, if it sounds self righteous that is your opinion and yours only, start a petition amongst the 'few' people who don't like my posts, I give you the list if you like

Damage to who captain?...........Disagreeing with some hardy fellows like yourself, you really believe this Board is that important, er no it's not, this is about footy and a footy club.

This is a topic about David Schwarz, I have heard him speaking about helping the Club for the last month or so, I want to see action rather than words, simple as that, too much to ask?

You speak with a forked tongue. You play the free speech card: it's my opinion and you don't have to reply. But you deliberately come on here and try to start as many spot fires as you possibly can and back away when someone calls you out. You LUUUURVE to give out free speech but you aren't too keen to receive much free speech back. If you honestly cared about the best interests of the club, you would be encouraging people to join it rather than scolding them for not living up to your prescribed standards. Instead you imply that people belong in two groups: 'contributors' (which you obviously view yourself as) and 'bludgers' (which are the unwashed masses who DARE not to have time to devote to the club). This in itself is divisive.

Look at what waynewussell did with getting those people to training after the Essendon game. He didn't get on the site grandstanding about how awesome he was and if you couldn't make it, then you are an a-hole. He bought people together for a greater cause regardless of what you thought of the club's management. If there are people out who want to help out the club and they read some of your posts, they may join the Anti-Football League.

And finally... who the f*** are you to question Ox's contribution to the club? Last time I checked, Ox has won a best and fairest and played 150 games. He has had his dark moments but quite clearly he had his own issues to deal with even before his gambling addiction.

I bet you will come on here telling me the same old crap you do with everyone else: how I'm not 'being constructive' and 'how I don't have to listen' but you need someone to give you a digital ear warmer. I will give you that you don't pick on writing style anymore after your own style was criticized.

Edited by Guest

W

You speak with a forked tongue. You play the free speech card: it's my opinion and you don't have to reply. But you deliberately come on here and try to start as many spot fires as you possibly can and back away when someone calls you out. You LUUUURVE to give out free speech but you aren't too keen to receive much free speech back. If you honestly cared about the best interests of the club, you would be encouraging people to join it rather than scolding them for not living up to your prescribed standards. Instead you imply that people belong in two groups: 'contributors' (which you obviously view yourself as) and 'bludgers' (which are the unwashed masses who DARE not to have time to devote to the club). This in itself is divisive.
Look at what waynewussell did with getting those people to training after the Essendon game. He didn't get on the site grandstanding about how awesome he was and if you couldn't make it, then you are an a-hole. He bought people together for a greater cause regardless of what you thought of the club's management. If there are people out who want to help out the club and they read some of your posts, they may join the Anti-Football League.
And finally... who the f*** are you to question Ox's contribution to the club? Last time I checked, Ox has won a best and fairest and played 150 games. He has had his dark moments but quite clearly he had his own issues to deal with even before his gambling addiction.
I bet you will come on here telling me the same old crap you do with everyone else: how I'm not 'being constructive' and 'how I don't have to listen' but you need someone to give you a digital ear warmer. I will give you that you don't pick on writing style anymore after your own style was criticized.

What a wonderful diatribe that was.

Oh look! back to answer your post, thought I should be hiding, told you before I have my standards same as you have yours, if you don't like mine, I really don't care, it would take somebody a lot better than you seem to be to put me in my supposed place, don't read my posts, I do that there are about 4 or 5 posters on here I skip as soon as I see their nickname

I hope that supporters who read this board or anything else anybody writes are able to digest and if they feel it valid add it towards forming their own opinions on whatever subject that is being discussed

I only have an issue with the supporters who do nothing but criticise everything about the Club, and that is to only wonder why if they hate it so much they continue to support, I ring supporters and encourage them to support the Club by becoming members, when I do this I encounter supporters who want to criticise via me, and I tell them the same thing as I do on here, become a member again and stand up, write, phone, email, speak out at the AGM, I happily sign up the members who freely and willingly want to

I was actually at the training session you mentioned above, and if you had cared to read the posts, I actually encouraged Wayne coz I thought it was a great idea, and contributed by getting Mitch Clark and Brendon Fevola to retweet about the timings, so if you must lambast please can you get your facts straight first, I know this may be difficult but please try

My writing style was a deliberate act old chap, looking for a bit of levity, you will notice it doesn't happen now, got the opening to use the tried and tested joke about it, so it was cool

And just as a final thing, let's call it granstanding, quite a few volunteers who phone contribute to this Board, and I have differing opinions to a couple of them, but most of them actually don't mind what I post, I know because we have discussed it...hhhmmmmm

• Like 1

It was a little lighthearted attempt at humour hardtack based on one persons reporting of a personality, versus another.

To make it more obvious should I have gone with the Spanish spelling and inserted the smiley faces at both ends of the statement like ;)so;)?

*Edited because I unintentionally but Ironically screwed up the smiley faces

Fair enough and apologies... I think we're all on a hair trigger these days :-)

• Like 1

W

What a wonderful diatribe that was.

Oh look! back to answer your post, thought I should be hiding, told you before I have my standards same as you have yours, if you don't like mine, I really don't care, it would take somebody a lot better than you seem to be to put me in my supposed place, don't read my posts, I do that there are about 4 or 5 posters on here I skip as soon as I see their nickname

I hope that supporters who read this board or anything else anybody writes are able to digest and if they feel it valid add it towards forming their own opinions on whatever subject that is being discussed

I only have an issue with the supporters who do nothing but criticise everything about the Club, and that is to only wonder why if they hate it so much they continue to support, I ring supporters and encourage them to support the Club by becoming members, when I do this I encounter supporters who want to criticise via me, and I tell them the same thing as I do on here, become a member again and stand up, write, phone, email, speak out at the AGM, I happily sign up the members who freely and willingly want to

I was actually at the training session you mentioned above, and if you had cared to read the posts, I actually encouraged Wayne coz I thought it was a great idea, and contributed by getting Mitch Clark and Brendon Fevola to retweet about the timings, so if you must lambast please can you get your facts straight first, I know this may be difficult but please try

My writing style was a deliberate act old chap, looking for a bit of levity, you will notice it doesn't happen now, got the opening to use the tried and tested joke about it, so it was cool

And just as a final thing, let's call it granstanding, quite a few volunteers who phone contribute to this Board, and I have differing opinions to a couple of them, but most of them actually don't mind what I post, I know because we have discussed it...hhhmmmmm

More of your cowardly lion persona. You love to get on here and sniff at others but heaven forfend if anyone ever say anything about you. You ramble on about how you skip posts but you have devoted nearly 300 words to me. What's wrong Mr. Unflappable? Did I touch a nerve?

If you did do that (encouraged Wayne and got on Twitter)then that is great. I asked in another thread if you knew of the saying 'you will attract more flies with honey than vinegar'. If you actually got on here and debated with people RESPECTFULLY then I too would agree with your posts. Yet you come here and dismiss anything you don't like out of hand. That's not a strong way of debating, any first year sociology professor will tell you that. Nor is it one that will win you many friends.

I appreciate I have been quite rude and aggressive but if you want people to be civil, show some civility yourself.

More of your cowardly lion persona. You love to get on here and sniff at others but heaven forfend if anyone ever say anything about you. You ramble on about how you skip posts but you have devoted nearly 300 words to me. What's wrong Mr. Unflappable? Did I touch a nerve?

If you did do that (encouraged Wayne and got on Twitter)then that is great. I asked in another thread if you knew of the saying 'you will attract more flies with honey than vinegar'. If you actually got on here and debated with people RESPECTFULLY then I too would agree with your posts. Yet you come here and dismiss anything you don't like out of hand. That's not a strong way of debating, any first year sociology professor will tell you that. Nor is it one that will win you many friends.

I appreciate I have been quite rude and aggressive but if you want people to be civil, show some civility yourself.

Sorry. In the interests of accuracy, you used nearly 400 words.

No I was actually giving you respect by replying to you, I am allowed to dismiss anything out of hand I like, it is a Public Forum, if I overstep the line I will be banned by the moderators.

As I said to another poster, respectfully, I get my share of garbage thrown at me, but hey, water of a duck's back

I am not on here to win friends, don't really care, here to contribute my opinion on topics, including this one, which between us is getting off topic

Sorry chap not another one of my loves, University education, paricularly sociology or any of the humanities, you can't learn about life from a book, or from a professor who has possibly spent most of his working life in the rather cloistered and surreal environment of a university

Sorry offline for a while now, not being rude if you reply

Edited by Satyriconhome

No I was actually giving you respect by replying to you, I am allowed to dismiss anything out of hand I like, it is a Public Forum, if I overstep the line I will be banned by the moderators.

As I said to another poster, respectfully, I get my share of garbage thrown at me, but hey, water of a duck's back

I am not on here to win friends, don't really care, here to contribute my opinion on topics, including this one, which between us is getting off topic

Sorry chap not another one of my loves, University education, paricularly sociology or any of the humanities, you can't learn about life from a book, or from a professor who has possibly spent most of his working life in the rather cloistered and surreal environment of a university

Sorry offline for a while now, not being rude if you reply

Water off a duck's back hey? Well clearly it's not as you come out full of pith and vinegar to start off with and now you are trying to make out you don't care. I DO care as quite frankly I find your attitude disrespectful.

This is what I say about this board, "oh no he has disagreed with the small majority we have on here", he can't be right, he can't have a differing opinion, .............. we are right, David Schwarz is the Messiah, get him in now"

He has no idea whether the players are playing for the coach or not, (we have not got a functioning or experienced enough midfield at the moment, that is the problem at the moment - personal opinion)

I didn't want to read anything into it, I listened, again where was he 5 years ago?

We have had Barassi front and centre with Jim, Leoncelli, Robbo, Greg Healy, Todd Viney, Gary Lyon.....so don't quote we need ex players in.......I just want him to either put up or shut up,....we are ringing around tonight again, maybe he can pop in and give us a hand, (arrange a couple of cameras)........that way he can actually show he wants to help the Club, would be a good small step

...and neither do you.

• Like 2

Heyy song.....how the hec do u imbed those vidz pls mate?

Most are "gifs" so the URL of them can just be pasted in the "image button" in the 'Reply to this topic' dashboard.

Youtube videos can be posted by pressing the "code button (< >)" and then doing:

[ youtube ] YOUR YOUTUBE VIDEO URL [ /youtube ] (no spaces)

I like "gifs" because i find "text" to be so stale and unable to portray the emotion, tone and (obviously) facial expression required when discussing topics, especially if you want to get a certain point across.

Emoticons are ok, but gifs are much better in assisting with this.

Plus they are bloomin' funny.

Hope that helps!

Edited by The Song Formerly Known As

I love the Ox , but i dont know what it achieves bagging the coach in public, it only hurts the club really.

Water off a duck's back hey? Well clearly it's not as you come out full of pith and vinegar to start off with and now you are trying to make out you don't care. I DO care as quite frankly I find your attitude disrespectful.

You really can't pick the the tone or inflection when it is typed, anyway the Ox didn't turn up tonight to get back on topic, and as for the rest you will either have to stop reading my posts or live with it I'm afraid, attitude ain't gonna change...I really don't care, I use this board for entertainment, same as the footy supposedly is

TSFKA thanks for sharing the expertise, solved a prob I had on another board, cool

Just watched the interview in full and a must watch not just for Dees fans but all footy supporters and people with or people close to people with addictions or gambling problems. Speaks from the heart and clearly has a deep love for the club. If he is offering to help the club would be crazy not to take up his offer in any capacity no matter how minor. Has faced many Demons (pardon the pun) and would provide a lot of insight to younger players or anyone at the club facing any multitude of problems

Well Done Ox, Red & Blue forever

I love the Ox , but i dont know what it achieves bagging the coach in public, it only hurts the club really.

The counter argument to that one is simple. If Mike Sheahan asked you what would you say?

He didn't bag the coach

he said he doesn't think he will be there in 2014

Which is what everyone thinks unless they are retarded

• Like 1

If the players aren't playing for the coach, there is a simple solution, keep dropping the guys that don't perform. (I assume they earn less playing at Casey.)

On another point, correct me if I'm wrong (I know some won't hesitate) but it seems that guys that are dropped play pretty ordinarily at Casey. It tells me we wait too long to drop them.

Just watched the whole interview on youtube.

The club needs your passion Ox.

Get down there and help...You want to do it.

Interestingly tweeted him yesterday about joining us last night to do the ring around trying to get members back on board, thought him ringing might get a few more, minor but important, but he didn't show

The counter argument to that one is simple. If Mike Sheahan asked you what would you say?

I would say i dont know enough about what goes on behind the scenes to answer that.