POST GAME - ROUND 1

Demonland

I believe Wines has got the rising star nomination this week.

Because he deserved it. There is not one player in our team who scored a single vote from the footy experts in the press [though I thought young Viney deserved something].

Had a phonecall from the club today regarding my 'missed' payment for my monthly membership installments due yeaterday. I felt bad telling the young guy on the phone that I couldn't justify giving the club my hard earned dollars anymore after they seem to not care on the field. If I turned up to my job with the kind of attitude the players had on the weekend I would be sent packing that's for sure. It's not a once off thing for the club either, I've been patient, stuck with the boys through minimul wins for the past 6 seasons and for what. I try and keep things positive but there's only so much you can take. The light at the end of the tunnel is fading.... The young guy on the phone told me he would give me a week to think about my decision. I really hope the boys can turn it around this time and make me change my mind. I could never change teams and would still deep down always be a Demon but I just couldn't give the time and money that I do now to a team that is giving it's supporters no reward for years and years of frustration, heartbreak and dedication. Come on Demons give us something!!

• Like 1

Wow, I cannot even begin to believe how some Melbourne supporters are acting. Yes, Melbourne played poorly, yes some players didnt have great games. But, it is not the end of the world, it's round 1 for crying out loud. We had 7 new players in the side yesterday. We were missing our captain Chb and Chf. The things they add to our structure and leadership is paramount. Take nothing away from Port Adelaide, they came out and made a statement, their pressure and play was amazing. I dare say they could have beaten anybody today. Things happen in footy. Why dont we back our team up and wait a few more games before hitting the panic button and calling for peoples heads. Seriously, show some faith and confidence in your team.

Bulltish

We are spineless and soft. Have been for 6 years. We as supporters only want effort and attack on the footy. You don't need elite skills for that. You need heart, commitment and desire.

Simple.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I remember being at this game and heading home with a very sour taste in my mouth.  We were totally outplayed and we looked thoroughly inept for most of the day.  It's hard to believe that it still got worse after this.

Those days are well and truly in the past, though.  Plenty of light at the end of the tunnel now, and this time it isn't a train headed our way,

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DemonLad5 said:

for fun

Fun? That game was horrible. I pride myself on never leaving the ground / turning off the radio or TV until the final siren no matter how bad it gets just in case I miss something I can look forward to next week...

I turned that game off ten minutes into the second Q. There was nothing to look forward to. Nothing.

But thanks for that memory.

• Like 1

I dont mind this Bump at all as it shows how far we have come in 4 years. I dont understand the need to attack someone for doing so as well. It also show how resilient and tough Melbourne supporters are for sticking it out because this journey is about to get a whole lot sweeter. It would have been easy to give up after the Essendon debacle a week after but we all stuck at it and now we about to reap the rewards.

Good on everyone for sticking fat on this incredibly tough journey we have been on.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I dont mind this Bump at all as it shows how far we have come in 4 years. I dont understand the need to attack someone for doing so as well. It also show how resilient and tough Melbourne supporters are for sticking it out because this journey is about to get a whole lot sweeter. It would have been easy to give up after the Essendon debacle a week after but we all stuck at it and now we about to reap the rewards.

Good on everyone for sticking fat on this incredibly tough journey we have been on.

One thing I did notice about reading some of the old posts, Dazzle, is just what the MFC has done to poor "Stuie", which is amazing considering we have improved in that time...

We were favourites going into that game too from memory...I can remember sitting in the Southern feeling numb when the final siren went...and knowing that the odds of seeing a win that year wasn't going to be too high.

Being forced to remember anything from the Mark Neeld era is a cruel and unusual punishment!

Ahhh the good old 'Money Ball' era .. Just looking through our team that played that day.. What a bunch of misfits ..

Matt Jones, Jordie McKenzie, Colin Syvia, Shannon Byrnes, David Rodan, Daniel Nicholson, Tom Gillies, Jimmy Toumpas, Sam Blease, Luke Tapscott, James Sellar..

How was I ever optimistic going into that game. Can't help but LOL.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Die Hard Demon said:

Ahhh the good old 'Money Ball' era .. Just looking through our team that played that day.. What a bunch of misfits ..

Matt Jones, Jordie McKenzie, Colin Syvia, Shannon Byrnes, David Rodan, Daniel Nicholson, Tom Gillies, Jimmy Toumpas, Sam Blease, Luke Tapscott, James Sellar..

How was I ever optimistic going into that game. Can't help but LOL.

Jack Watts can't get a game in the JLT cup due to his training standards at the moment. I wonder how old mate Colin Sylvia would go with the current regime?

• Like 1

Yep, I remember being at this game and remember our players not having a kick in the first ten minutes of game time. 

Also, after reading some the posts on the thread, who would've thought that in 2017, Cam Pederson would now be a respected player and one of the hardest workers at the club.

I thought I had forgotten about the Tom Gilles fiasco as well, thanks for that timely reminder.

31 minutes ago, Wrecker45 said:

Jack Watts can't get a game in the JLT cup due to his training standards at the moment. I wonder how old mate Colin Sylvia would go with the current regime?

We already know. He "went".

If he was still at the club he'd be the guy driving to the supermarket to collect the sausages and bread for the family day barbie. Putting out the bins on Thursday night. Putting up posters along Swan St about the office lady's missing cat.

Thankfully I missed the Port game being Easter, but I sat through the debacle that came the following week against Essendon and remember going home and telling my wife that the club was basically dead.

My son was two at the time and I thought there is no way that I could make him go through that. I don't expect us to be winning premierships every year, but I wanted to be able to have a good day out with him at the footy supporting the demons, as I had with my dad growing up.

What Neeld and others did to the club is unforgivable, and how they can retain jobs in the industry is beyond me.

Thankfully we have been able to get the right people in the right roles since then, Peter Jackson first and foremost, and there is light at the end of the tunnel.

As an aside, I pulled out AFL Live 2 recently which has the teamlists from 2013. Cripes it was hard to build a team I wanted to have on the field.

• Like 1