Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST GAME - ROUND 1

Demonland

...Pick the best team based on form:

This will remove Gillies, Pederson, Tapscott, Nicholson, Sellar, Byrne, sylvia, Rodan

- and put a big question mark on Frawley, Garland,

Many posters don't seem to be mentioning this guy. He's truly hopeless and not worthy of a spot in the team. How he was selected ahead of Terlich, or Jetta, who both have a crack, is one of life's great mysteries.

The dropped chest mark, followed up by the double fisted spoil when he could have marked just 60 seconds later, was a special. The terrible kicks not withstanding.

EDIT: I've since seen many posts saying the same thing.

Edited by MH.

Wow, I cannot even begin to believe how some Melbourne supporters are acting. Yes, Melbourne played poorly, yes some players didnt have great games. But, it is not the end of the world, it's round 1 for crying out loud. We had 7 new players in the side yesterday. We were missing our captain Chb and Chf. The things they add to our structure and leadership is paramount. Take nothing away from Port Adelaide, they came out and made a statement, their pressure and play was amazing. I dare say they could have beaten anybody today. Things happen in footy. Why dont we back our team up and wait a few more games before hitting the panic button and calling for peoples heads. Seriously, show some faith and confidence in your team.

• Like 3

You know, I'm going to have a son in late June this year.

My partner is a Collingwood supporter.

I'm going to do my damndest to convert my son to the Red and Blue but she seems quite keen to turn him to the dark side.

It seems like this is gonna be a realllllll struggle.

Wow, I cannot even begin to believe how some Melbourne supporters are acting. Yes, Melbourne played poorly, yes some players didnt have great games. But, it is not the end of the world, it's round 1 for crying out loud. We had 7 new players in the side yesterday. We were missing our captain Chb and Chf. The things they add to our structure and leadership is paramount. Take nothing away from Port Adelaide, they came out and made a statement, their pressure and play was amazing. I dare say they could have beaten anybody today. Things happen in footy. Why dont we back our team up and wait a few more games before hitting the panic button and calling for peoples heads. Seriously, show some faith and confidence in your team.

Ive been showing faith and confidence in the team for the last 40 years......there is no such thing as faith anymore, only deeds.

• Like 2

Just watching the press conference and interview with Watts and they seem genuinely shocked and have no answer to what happened.

This tells me the players have no idea how to translate training drills and strategy into games where the opposition does something they're not expecting.

Inexcusable really. They forget everything once the action starts and when the confidence drops everything goes to [censored]. It was the worst possible start to the season and I know we will recover somewhat, but I really think this loss has set us back quite a bit.

John Northey made players play for him.

This week, no press, no open training sessions, no photos, no comments.

Training should be hard and back to basics.

'Man the [censored] up' should be the first instruction.

Neeld needs to stare down Watts, Frawley and Sylvia and ask them where they're at.

Jordan McKenzie should be paid just to be a blocker.....not a link in the chain.

These basics are doable in seven days.

For me the biggest concern was just how easily Port moved the ball down the ground, chipping short passes to players on their own and basically moving the ball from one end to the other without us touching it. They sliced us wide open, it was hot knife through butter stuff and it was bloody embarrassing. You could maybe understand Hawthorn cutting open a side with their foot skills but Port?

I've watched a fair bit of footy in Round 1 and what has stood out has been the pressure. In the first quarter of the Eagles Dockers game both sides were struggling to get a clear kick. Essendon mauled the Crows and worried them out of it. What do the MFC serve up? Not even a quarter, not even 5 minutes of intense pressure footy. Right from the opening bounce they got easy uncontested ball and it remained that way all day.

There can only be two reasons for this. Either the players are lazy and put no defensive pressure on, which would add the word 'heartless' to a long list of adjectives that already describe them such as skilless and brainless. Or alternatively they are confused where to position themselves defensively, which comes down to game plan and is the coach's domain.

I'm not sure what the answer is but it is one of the above.

If the players were lazy and put no defensive pressure on, Neeld would not have been so much at a loss for any explanation. There are times for being blunt about what is wrong with the players, and Neeld has certainly shown he is willing to dump on his players when he feels it is appropriate. It looked to me like what Neeld couldn't understand was why his instructions did so little good. He persisted with them, despite what was happening, and it just didn't get any better. Small wonder he looked so stressed. (Where are the players going to get some confidence from, when they have a coach performing like that?)

The modd of the day is pretty well summed up in the ten pages above this post.
* one thing I'm unsurprised at is the heat headed Colin Sylvia's way, but I really think this is misguided.

Colin's game would have looked avg at best on TV.

Now I'm sure that most people attended the game. But from my vantage point I think Colin made a valuable contribution.

Seriously. According to AFL.com stats he made 3 tackles, but this is plain wrong. Colin tackled hard (particularly at stoppages), disposed better than most.

What impressed me was the running...he actually looked like he had done a pre-season. He ran hard, much harder than the others.

Yes there was one point where he was chasing a guy, but we do not play one-on-one, particularly near the boundaries. Our defence requires a team effort, beating the man is a contribution of all 18 men on the ground.

It's the kind of contribution that would be rewarded by a similar team effort...I'd imagine he won't be the whipping boy inside AAMI park this week.

Jack Viney is a ripper, tough and fiesty, looked great at getting the ball. But if this wasn't his first game the coach would have tore him a new one, two second quarter goals were the result of really silly desperation clearances out of their backline. Went into the corridor and came straight back. Will improve.

Bit of the gary's about him. can't wait.

Other than that, haven't seen a performance so insipid in a very long time.

• Like 2

I'm going to do my damndest to convert my son to the Red and Blue but she seems quite keen to turn him to the dark side.

if you want the best for your son then you'll let him go....

You know, I'm going to have a son in late June this year. My partner is a Collingwood supporter. I'm going to do my damndest to convert my son to the Red and Blue but she seems quite keen to turn him to the dark side. It seems like this is gonna be a realllllll struggle.

We are due in the end of June also. My partner and I are both passionate Melbourne supporters. Dad is Collingwood and I found myself thinking today why would I want my son to go through all this. I wish I barracked for someone else and I hope my children follow someone else

For me the biggest concern was just how easily Port moved the ball down the ground, chipping short passes to players on their own and basically moving the ball from one end to the other without us touching it. They sliced us wide open, it was hot knife through butter stuff and it was bloody embarrassing. You could maybe understand Hawthorn cutting open a side with their foot skills but Port?

I've watched a fair bit of footy in Round 1 and what has stood out has been the pressure. In the first quarter of the Eagles Dockers game both sides were struggling to get a clear kick. Essendon mauled the Crows and worried them out of it. What do the MFC serve up? Not even a quarter, not even 5 minutes of intense pressure footy. Right from the opening bounce they got easy uncontested ball and it remained that way all day.

There can only be two reasons for this. Either the players are lazy and put no defensive pressure on, which would add the word 'heartless' to a long list of adjectives that already describe them such as skilless and brainless. Or alternatively they are confused where to position themselves defensively, which comes down to game plan and is the coach's domain.

I'm not sure what the answer is but it is one of the above.

If the players were lazy and put no defensive pressure on, Neeld would not have been so much at a loss for any explanation. There are times for being blunt about what is wrong with the players, and Neeld has certainly shown he is willing to dump on his players when he feels it is appropriate. It looked to me like what Neeld couldn't understand was why his instructions did so little good. He persisted with them, despite what was happening, and it just didn't get any better. Small wonder he looked so stressed. (Where are the players going to get some confidence from, when they have a coach performing like that?)

Admittedly I had to watch the game on my mobile screen but this is also how I saw it.

Concerns are that it was Round 1 of a season of redemption and players were unwilling or unable to run forward and back with any conviction or they are playing the wrong game plan to the wrong opposition.

Either way it appears that at this stage no-one has any clear answers.

Just watching the press conference and interview with Watts and they seem genuinely shocked and have no answer to what happened.

This tells me the players have no idea how to translate training drills and strategy into games where the opposition does something they're not expecting.

Inexcusable really. They forget everything once the action starts and when the confidence drops everything goes to [censored]. It was the worst possible start to the season and I know we will recover somewhat, but I really think this loss has set us back quite a bit.

They are mentally weak, and unprepared.....only the coach is to blame.

With the lack of success we have had we should be running through brick walls.

We should be putting that much pressure on the opposition that they cant breath.

Its time to play like men.

Well. Nothing more to really do or say. I will go to the Bombers game and assess things after that.

Im growing very tired of all this.

• Like 1

John Northey made players play for him.This week, no press, no open training sessions, no photos, no comments.Training should be hard and back to basics.'Man the [censored] up' should be the first instruction.Neeld needs to stare down Watts, Frawley and Sylvia and ask them where they're at.Jordan McKenzie should be paid just to be a blocker.....not a link in the chain.These basics are doable in seven days.

The problem is that this 'line in the sand' idea, where the club shuts itself away, or tells harsh truths, or puts players on notice, or does whatever to use the disgrace of the loss to provide some sort of motivation for a 'hard' uncompromising team to roll out next week just has NEVER worked. We've been disgraceful like yesterday numerous times in the past 7 years, then make apologies to the supporters, change the team around for the following week, and the result is......... another thumping.

I know it's a football era of systems, and science, and method, and training loads, but EVERY successful coach in AFL/VFL history has been a leader of men, someone who can bring the individual and the unified best out of his team. It is clear that Mark Neeld has a complete inability to motivate his players in the face of adversity. In a full season and 1 game, Neeld's MFC have NOT ONCE shown that kind of inspirational unity. Yes, I know the 'inspirational' coach is a frustratingly airy fairy and intangible thing, but whatever it is, I have never felt it so utterly lacking at a football club.

Nobody could have predicted it when Mark Neeld came to the club, and I dont even think he or anybody else is to blame, but his lack of game day facility to inspire is simply going to drive this club further toward oblivion.

It is just not logical to blame the players en masse. With draft equalisation and salary cap evening of the competition, it is simply not sensible to blame a gulf in skills or fitness for our unequalled game day ineptitude and lack of intensity.

IT IS THE COACHING!

• Like 1

Agree with most of this but Mitch Clark's attack on the ball is fantastic and we need it from others, you would think it would inspire his teammates but sadly don't think many of them have it in them.

As others said I think Blease was sub due to coming back from injury, would think he will start next week.

If Clark wants to inspire others, he's going to have a hard time doing it in a moonboot let alone 70 points down! If that's the case upon Blease then yes I agree PSD.

The debutant players did do well. But their talents will be gradually stifled as they try to learn an imcomprehensible game plan. Can we please start again with something the players can manage? Once they learn how to get hold of the football we can think about making the plan a bit more complicated.

• Like 3

...Jack Viney is a ripper, tough and fiesty, looked great at getting the ball. But if this wasn't his first game the coach would have tore him a new one, two second quarter goals were the result of really silly desperation clearances out of their backline. Went into the corridor and came straight back.

I disagree. There was noting wrong with those two clearance kicks. The problem was his Melbourne teammates playing metres behind their opponents.

• Like 1

It will be a struggle. I dressed both my kids in Demon jumpers while they were still in hospital, took out memberships and took them to family days. At age 10, my daughter announced she was going to barrack for the Pies like her step father, my son barracks for North Melbourne after Wayne Carey visited his school. Hopefully by the time your little one is old enough to appreciate the footy, the tides will have turned and we will be a competitive team again. Good luck with it all.

Do you want child to be bullied and humiliated at school ? Then make him a Demon!!

How many kids follow the Dees? Precious few and why indeed would they ?

A team's on-field performance is predicated by the coach and the leadership group.

It's certainly an indictment on the team that the player who showed the most leadership out on the field was an 18 year old playing his first game. Extraordinary really.

Actually, Tom Hafey lives around the corner from me, and one day I asked him; "How did you take the wooden spooners, Collingwood in 1976, to grandfinalists in 1977 without changing the list"?

He said,

Football is a simple game, you must be hungrier than your opponent to get the ball, once you have got the ball, if your under pressure, handball it to a free team-mate and kick it to a leading option. If he dosnt mark it, win the loose ball and kick it to the next leading option. Then if he dosnt mark it, pick up the crumbs and kick the goal.

If the opposition have the ball, get on your opponent and wear him like a glove.

I spose, the rest is motivating the players to be hungrier than their opponent.

Hafey was good at this, so was Northey who had the us against them mentality.

Sorry for all you believers, Neeld must go.

Spot on ,

Footie is more mental than golf.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going. I'm on a plane in 12 days time heading down to watch us play West Coast. I figure if I can head interstate at a time like this, most locals can give the Dees at least a month before they jump off.

Does one single person on this forum give us a chance against the Eagles?

• Like 1