Intra Club Game - Friday 15 February 9:30am @ Casey Fields

Bring-Back-Powell

It's an oldie but a goodie GV.

Jack Viney, Jimmy Toumpas are going to be great acquisitions in the midfield. JV at the bottom of every pack. The Hulk is simply incredible (that's an oldie too). I was never a wrap for Rodan but he and Byrnes might add a bit while the young blokes develop.

Also, Andy and I have just bought a hot dog each thereby making a solid contribution to the club in case it needs some extra funds after a possible announcement from the AFL later today. :blink:

Clarification please WJ. Are you contributing to MFC or Casey Scorpions? Because if it's the latter, are you anticipating that Casey may be promoted to be the 18th team in the AFL should another team, perhaps one in red and black, is somehow unable to participate?

Game over and most of the spectators are hanging around the water cooler giving their "unofficial versions" of what's transpired at Casey Fields.

It was a good hit out. I didn't notice anybody getting injured.

Apart from the known players out injured - Trengove, Clark & Gawn - Chris Dawes and Jeremy Howe were rested and both are expected to play in the NAB Cup Mickey Mouse round next week. I think James Sellar was off after half time but not entirely sure because there was a bit of team swapping going on (probably in contravention of AFL permit rules but so what?).

Bring on the real thing!

• Like 3

Clarification please WJ. Are you contributing to MFC or Casey Scorpions? Because if it's the latter, are you anticipating that Casey may be promoted to be the 18th team in the AFL should another team, perhaps one in red and black, is somehow unable to participate?

The ladies were wearing red and blue caps with "Casey Demons" on them. Did a great job in the heat too!

Now I'm truly confused. Who are the "Casey Demons"? Would I be right in assuming they might be MFC supporters based in Casey? If so, good on 'em.

Casey Demons supporter group, they are a dedicated bunch, their President came up to the Ballarat supporter group family day.

• Like 1

didnt go with rose coloured glasses supporter and watch a bit of the hawks training as well. I thought it was pretty average, about 4 - 5 kicks out on the full in a shortened match which better teams would laugh at.....our kicking is pretty average unless under no pressure

positives were toumpas (moves well), viney, garland on davey, byrnes, hogan (mark my words he will be a star)

negatives - dunn n frawley still do occassional silly things but dunn looks better as a backman than a forward, tappy struggled, davey struggled alot and garland would give him nightmares, jamar has lost his mojo in marking, sylvia should carve up matches like this and didnt. No wonder neeld said our biggest loss last year was when we had our most experienced side, frustrating

wouldnt be surprised to see nicolson and mcdonald soon in the leadership group.....nicolson was good today

Pretty average but it would be when your missing dawes, trenners, howe etc it will be pretty average

Improvement is there but we are miles off being just a "good" side which is why neeld is playin down expectations

• Like 3

Game over and most of the spectators are hanging around the water cooler giving their "unofficial versions" of what's transpired at Casey Fields.

It was a good hit out. I didn't notice anybody getting injured.

Apart from the known players out injured - Trengove, Clark & Gawn - Chris Dawes and Jeremy Howe were rested and both are expected to play in the NAB Cup Mickey Mouse round next week. I think James Sellar was off after half time but not entirely sure because there was a bit of team swapping going on (probably in contravention of AFL permit rules but so what?).

Bring on the real thing!

Thanks for the info Jack, I couldn't make it down there this year (sad face). I didn't hear any mention of Nicholson, did he play?

Also, do you think some of Byrnes' dominance was due to us not having a good small defender to go with him?

Thanks for the info Jack, I couldn't make it down there this year (sad face). I didn't hear any mention of Nicholson, did he play?

Also, do you think some of Byrnes' dominance was due to us not having a good small defender to go with him?

Byrnes was front and square eveytime the ball hit the ground, it was a pleasure to watch.

• Like 1

I left at half time but thought Viney was everywhere up till then, not much mention of him on here...thought he was dominant in tight. Bit scrappy but some definate positives. Casey does not have the most perfect conditions, very swirly and I thought at times the ball movement was quite controlled and was much improved. Like many others here liked the games of Kent and Blease but thought Viney was clearly our best

• Like 2

Byrnes was front and square eveytime the ball hit the ground, it was a pleasure to watch.

We have been crying out for someone to consistently do that for years, that makes me VERY happy

• Like 2

Thank you to farmerwiz for the unbiased, realists view of proceedings.

I think Byrnes could be okay this year, but I certainly wouldn't be getting excited about him getting a few goals playing against Strauss or one of our other small defenders.

I still cannot believe we have to put up with another three years of Jamar if he can't even look the goods in an intra club game. Davey should get used to spending a lot of time at Casey.

Thank you to farmerwiz for the unbiased, realists view of proceedings.

I think Byrnes could be okay this year, but I certainly wouldn't be getting excited about him getting a few goals playing against Strauss or one of our other small defenders.

I still cannot believe we have to put up with another three years of Jamar if he can't even look the goods in an intra club game. Davey should get used to spending a lot of time at Casey.

Were you there Poita? If so, can you please give us your unbiased review of the game please.

• Like 1

Low key practice match or match simulation as the FD calls it.

Nothing exciting in particular but thought of the new guys that Viney is a class act, this sometimes gets lost because of his inside work. Toumpas really creates play and is always talking and telling teammates where he wants them, hasn't played a senior game but not frightened to take control. Terlich could be a good rebounding back, interesting to watch him and Jones (quick, good user) in the NAB. Barry didn't do a lot but as has been said before skills and pace are exciting, one pass was an absolute bullet nearly knocked a teammate off his feet. Hogan will give backs a headache at VFL level this year, moves well and thinks the game well for a kid. Kent got involved a lot and shows some real potential. Rodan and Byrnes are good pick ups in the short term.

Of the players ready to emerge Blease has really stepped up, you can see this with his training and work rate now and he's getting involved in everything. Watts will be the go to man off half back, just thinks through the game and uses the ball so well.

I wouldn't be to worried about Jamar, he did a few nice things and is moving really well. Along with Jones, Viney and Grimes in the middle our centre set ups will be a lot better this year.

• Like 5

Hi guys,

I was there.

I thought we have come along way from last year (not surprisingly).

Quite a few missed targets to the grandstand wing (not making excuses but it is a pretty tough wind out there and a supporter next to me said the ground is NEVER not blowing hard!).

Anyway, we have got some real talent coming through with the youngsters - Hogan (playing on chip did not look out of place at all - stupid rule that we have to wait to play him), Toumpas silky, thought JV a little quiet but meh, obviously Byrnes really good as well.

Dunn and Watts look good, Davey unfortunately has lost a yard or two of pace, Sylvia involved, barry did some nice things.

Like some of Taggert's play - did not recognise him at first. Thought Terlich turned it over a few times, matt Jones will be a starter round 1 I reckon - looks ready to rip.

I think the main positive is that we have some more class and depth in the midfield.

• Like 5

I reckon Blease was good too as was Strauss which was a good viewing, Grimes will be better this year.....backs and forwards will be ok, midfield will be very average again this year which is why we are some years off being a good side. Got to remember the injections into the midfield (jones, toumpas, viney etc) are first year players at our club and by no means stars

Was pretty average and if someone thought it was great or good then id recommend them to get to a top 4 teams training. Improvement is there but some forget how far back we are coming from that we have to pick up discards rodan, byrnes etc just to have decent role models in the club

Got to keep it real i guess. I do credit neeld and craig for making it more professional at our club though, very thorough so congrats to the footy department

• Like 4