"Tanking"

Whispering_Jack

From Ralph:

"Insiders said yesterday that Schwab was hardly mentioned in the 1000-page dossier which detailed allegations over a stretch of games from late in 2009.

But while a negotiated settlement still looks a likely outcome, Melbourne sources were defiant last night about accepting penalties.

The club was adamant it would not be bullied, and was determined to protect employees ''both past and present''.

Despite speculation the Demons could accept a fines of several hundred thousand dollars and a short ban, possibly suspended, against former coach Dean Bailey, no agreement has been made."

And

"A Melbourne spokesman said last night the Demons were yet to receive an official set of charges or penalties from the AFL's acting football operations manager Gillon McLachlan.

Melbourne has been told by top legal experts is has an extremely strong legal case, which includes significant doubts about the manner in which interviews were conducted and whether they would stand up in a court of law.

The AFL's burden of proof falls on the club to prove its innocence, while in a court of law Melbourne believes it would be certain to win."

The slant is very different. Aint that hard.

this is what i want to hear...GOOD.

The Age this morning made me feel sick with that tank.

this is what i want to hear...GOOD.

The Age this morning made me feel sick with that tank.

Make no mistake, there has been an unprecedented attack on the MFC by the Age and CW. FWIW, I belief the "tank" image in the age this morning is defamatory. Also the use of the MFC logo in such a scenario to be in breach of copyright (trademark).

An unprecedented attack!

No other media outlet has published with the same vitriol, condemnation, judgement.

There is some time to go on the issue; not the least being legal action by individuals

• Like 4

Make no mistake, there has been an unprecedented attack on the MFC by the Age and CW. FWIW, I belief the "tank" image in the age this morning is defamatory. Also the use of the MFC logo in such a scenario to be in breach of copyright (trademark).

An unprecedented attack!

No other media outlet has published with the same vitriol, condemnation, judgement.

There is some time to go on the issue; not the least being legal action by individuals

totally agree with ya mate. It's only Half Time....
  • Like 1

I like the tone of the Herald Suns coverage on the issue.

Glenn Close is in the Age building with a bunny on the boil, flicking the light on and off , trying to ring Cam for the 452nd time.

We are not even prepared to accept a fine.

Good tough stance.

• Like 1

Awhile back I put this together. Makes for an interesting agruement on who was trying harder to tank. Compared who got the chocolates.If Richmond hadnt kicked the goal to win the game (after the siren) me wonders if a certain reporter would have gone just as hard if the Tiges had finished last. When you run through these last games, compare teams, who played against who. and then the margins won and lost.

It shows Melb actually outperformed Richmond.

Round 17

Ess (8th) Vs Rich (14th) Rich x 5 pts MCG (78.9% prior round)

Melb (16th) Vs Syd (11th) Syd x 18 pts Manuka (72.9% prior round)

-----------

Round 18

Melb (16th) Vs Rich (12th) Rich x 4 Pts MCG (73% / 80.4 prior round)

-----------

Round 19

Rich (14th) Vs Syd (10th) Sys x 55 pts MCG (81.4% prior round)

Nth (13th) Vs Melb (16th) Nth x 62 pts MCG (74.0% prior round)

-------------

Round 20

Rich (14th) Vs Coll (3rd) Coll x 93 pts MCG (79.8% prior round)

Melb (16th) Vs Freo (15th) Melb x 63 pts MCG (72.5% prior round)

------------

Round 21

Rich (14th) Vs Haw (9th) Haw x 42 pts MCG (76.9% prior round)

Carl (5th) Vs Melb (16th) Carl x 57 pts Docklands (76.5% prior round)

-----------

Round 22

W.Coast (11th) Vs Rich (15th) WC x 80 pts (76.4% prior round)

Melb (16th vs St.K (1st) St.K x 47 pts MCG (75.5% prior round)

==========================

Rich finished the season on 74.3%

Melb finished the season on 74.7%

==========================

last 4 games

Richmond dropped 7.1% won 0 games

Melb gained 1.5% won 1 game

Interesting DV. This means that had Jordan McMahon missed the shot from 50 metres after the siren then Richmond would have finished last and it would be them facing a tanking enquiry not us.

And they would have been serial offenders in the light of Terry Wallet's confession about what he didn't do against St. Kilda two years earlier. It's time for the AFL to investigate this a little more closely.

Bit of a meltdown elsewhere.

"Just sayin, il murder you and your family. No probs."

"****ling ****** arse west aussie. U peeps need a good killing. just saying."

"This seems to be important to you.

Congratulations.

I was unaware that this was a statistics thread.

Mind you, we could count up the amount of melbourne supporters who have

acted like utter
[censored]
in this thread. It would take a lot of time

though.

That's statistical and should be interesting.

Will you be one of them?"

"Other way of looking at is if u want to keep acting like a tool, I would probs be able to murder your face off.

Just saying. Like, get your eldest relatives down here in Melbs, I'll
kill the **** out of them and easily get away with it, if i want. Just
saying. Hypo-pathetically.

Like u in particular, keep talking [censored] about Jim, just saying. I
could, if tasked, easily kill u for that. But I don't want to. But I
kinda do. Cause there are only so many peeps that are exceptionally as
bitchy as you."

Edited by pikeout

Interesting point Pikeout......

So this whole tanking enquiry, I just want the whole thing to be over. I'd only accept CW's alleged deal if the fine was suspended.

Not sure if this Jake Niall article has been posted

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dee-great-escape-20130216-2ek7j.html

Much better than Kero. Like the comment about Brock's Luna Park mouth and the AFL preferring clubs to "open up the kimono" and come clean. I kinda like reading Niall, despite him being a magpie supporter.

• Like 1

That's what I was trying to explain to Sue and others. This is a tremendous outcome for the club. It's not the best outcome, but we're not privy to all of the evidence. It's certainly not worth going to court over.

It will be , if it threatens our gaming and liquor licences with our two pokie venues.

• Like 1

Here's a little something new ... should please WYL.

Melbourne legal eagles ready for Demons' tanking fight

Bing181 this article brought a smile to my face too.

i am sure we are all happy to see this in the HS this morning. Nice to see that we will not roll over and have the fire power to fight if needed. This is something that in the past we wouldn't have done.

The club is moving in the right direction.

WYL enjoy this article, it's better than most (apart form the Eddie spaghetti crap at the bottom).

• Like 2

I think we are on a win win here.

If we accept a fine with no penalties, I'll be happy its behind us and we can move on.

If the club decides to fight it, then good on the club for doing so,we might even clear our name.

I think we are on a win win here.

If we accept a fine with no penalties, ill be happy its behind us and we can move on.

If the club decides to fight it, then good on the club for doing so,we might even clear our name.

I think in general football terms, the people who view our brand as tarnished (or who believe we tanked) a ruling in our favour would not absolve us of clear our name. People will generally agree that we tanked IMO.

The problem is with the whole fiasco, no one really cares. It's a non-issue. It happened 4 years ago. We've moved on, the comp has moved on.

I think we'll be regarded as tankers in a flimsy, disinterested fashion that won't really affect us moving forward.

I'll simply be glad to have the whole mess done with. I cannot believe it's taken over 6 months go conclude. It's not even the first time it's been investigated!

• Like 4

Not sure if this Jake Niall article has been posted

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dee-great-escape-20130216-2ek7j.html

Much better than Kero. Like the comment about Brock's Luna Park mouth and the AFL preferring clubs to "open up the kimono" and come clean. I kinda like reading Niall, despite him being a magpie supporter.

Not much different to Kero IMO.

Even got the spelling of Luna Park wrong.

Don't expect to see Brock at either Lunar Park or Luna Park on Saturday morning for the family day.

Edited by Sydney Pennski
  • Like 1

The other thread is now Whispering Jacks personal column which is fairly disappointing.

We all know Caro is a dumb COAT and we should have the right to pour scorn on her shoddy log of events.

'Landers need the right to party in the cyber streets over this.

I'm a little tired of the censorship going on right here in this little place ,and the lack of it at Fairfax.

Range Rover has been banned for what looks like a personal vendetta.

and Stuie ,whom I loathe ,was returned after one week for his sojourn into the realm of Greek Pleasure

I am going out today with a couple of mates from THE AGE.One is in sport currently .

I am going to give them heaps for defending Caro from my criticism of her crap work and lack of ethics.

She too has lead a personal vendetta against Schwab in particular .

May we please have a thread for adults only? A bar room for these old fashioned brawls .

I have had some blues with Curry and Beer ,Stuie ,Ben Hur and others but I think we have all been big enough to move on.

The warnings, the selective bans, the CoC referrals ,the reminders of libel laws etc are a bit much when we all write under aliases and can be considered a special interest(nearly special needs) group.

Mods and stalwarts , I suggest we actually begin to enjoy our football a bit more and lighten up .

We got first choice of nearly every decent young player for the last 5 years and we got away with it .

Party time .

• Like 2

Interesting DV. This means that had Jordan McMahon missed the shot from 50 metres after the siren then Richmond would have finished last and it would be them facing a tanking enquiry not us.

And they would have been serial offenders in the light of Terry Wallet's confession about what he didn't do against St. Kilda two years earlier. It's time for the AFL to investigate this a little more closely.

Maybe, maybe not,that it would have panned out that way. Brock squealed, and Kero has been throwing petrol on it ever since.

If you look at round 17 . Richmnond, sitting 14th, beat 8th placed Essendon yet faced West Coast in round 20 and lost by more than 13 goals. Thats one example.

Our worst perferormce in the latter games was against North. We pushed Sydney, playing at Manuka. We havent ever played well at Docklands then to play Carlton there, 16th played 5th,we lost by almost the same amount as Richmond did,when they played Hawthorn, who were only just a few places above them.

On paper what it highlights, is ,how anyone can say we threw games.Yet Richmond, when you study their latter games, went worse than we did.Its all water under the bridge now, but the investigation supposedly was checking our performances, to prove tanking, yet, it is there to see. that it isnt as cut and dried as some have reported in the papers. Our crime was we finished last. Without all the hype and any background on the events, the results show, we were more competitive than Richmond in the latter games. If that is any guide, we really have been found guilty by media witchhunt.

When our fate was sealed I was torn between winning and hoping to gain priority picks. Yet some hack in the paper, has stooped to using anything she could get her hands on.it make matters worse. Nobody has ever mentioned or reported the results of these last games,clearly showing we werent trying to win. Nobody in their right mind, would expect last place to win again St.Kilda sitting 1st.

Yes, we threw players around, why wouldnt you, we were crap for the whole year, not just for the latter part of the season . Richmond were fast pegging us back, the question should be asked, why? They wanted extra picks, and Scumdog too. They went from beating a 8th placed team to being slaughtered by West Coast, who were just a few places above them.While all this was going on, our results show we only had one bad lose to perhaps a team we may have beaten, all the rest of our games, you wouldnt expect any different on the outcome.

We finished last, and got cruxified by media,thats not reporting the facts, that is a witchhunt.

Edited by DeeVoted
  • Like 2

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Except...........a disgruntled ex-Richmond player probably wouldn't have been coerced into opening his mouth , AND the termagant Richmond-fan journalist probably wouldn't have stirred up trouble with "disgusting" and "pathetic" references.

The other thread is now Whispering Jacks personal column which is fairly disappointing.

Fear not Biff. The thread will be reopened in the fullness of time. At the moment, it's being used for the purpose originally intended - to keep a record of her utterances on the tanking inquisition (and associated material).

In the meantime, this thread exists for discussion on the subject and everyone is free to bring up and critique my posts over there right here. In fact, since you've raised it, I'm pinning the thread so it can be more accessible to posters.

I don't have a problem with our moderation here - we have standards to uphold unlike some other fan sites that have little or no moderation at all.

Enjoy your day with your journo friends from the Age.

I always felt that this incident didn't get enough exposure, the "joking" excuse was used here and accepted.

Roos said he was only joking and they let him get away with that?

Wow.

And what about the comment by Westy who said

The Australian reported that the Ceo of Carlton admiitted they did not play their best team in their last 11 games last year (0- 11). The CEO of west Coast publically accused Carlton of tanking to get prime draft picks. Surveys of fans disclose that they believe the bottom teams tank to get better draft picks. Roos may have a genuine sense of injustice to be cited for the NAB pre season comp. The Draft is wonderful but it does have this drawback that was dramatically displayed by Carlton.a club that had previously rorted the system.

I wonder why the CEO of West Coast complained about Carlton tanking to get draft picks? Surely, not to help them prize away their former captain?

Which reminds me of a similar story about a conversation I had with a former Blues board member a few weeks before the Kreuzer Cup game.

• Like 4