• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Draft Night Discussion

bing181

Does anyone know if there is any footage of the draft online anywhere? I didn't get to watch it last night and would love to watch Todd calling out Jacks name, I reckon it would've been a special moment.

Not sure if it was just me but I actually thought Todd choked up a little when he read Jack's name out. Neeldy almost appeared to be about to give him a pat on the back before the camera quickly went to another shot.

Of our new recruits next year only Barry has not played senior footy, including Hogan (who has already and will a play whole season with Casey, which by the by is fantastic for them and their finals chances given his talent and the fact that they can plan around him - though the dees might still put him the paddock early, as they did with Fitzy, i suppose).

Neeld's army is massing.

Mate I'm devastated with Hutchings getting picked up by the Druggies he will now be playing for the Royals next year

Yeah the WAFL wont be the same with the alignments. It's a sorry state of affairs.

Neeld has a grin in his face when Todd about to call Jack's name didn't notice Todd's emotions that much.

I noticed that - nice touch...and unexpected as I dont think I ever seen Neeld smile

What a year we've had, I've followed the club for many years now, over 50, and I'd say there's never been a year like this before. So many delistings so many new players such a buzz around the club, it's almost like we've gone professional.

What's happened is something that should have been done years ago but so be it, I get the feeling that even though we've had such bad publicity the club is just moving on regardless and with purpose. I expect to see record membership next year and much better performances both on and off field.

Bring on 2013 let's see if we've achieved what we seem to have.

• Like 2

What a year we've had, I've followed the club for many years now, over 50, and I'd say there's never been a year like this before. So many delistings so many new players such a buzz around the club, it's almost like we've gone professional.

What's happened is something that should have been done years ago but so be it, I get the feeling that even though we've had such bad publicity the club is just moving on regardless and with purpose. I expect to see record membership next year and much better performances both on and off field.

I feel the same way but am a little more reserved - I am absolutely stroked with the "tracks" that Neeld and co have laid down - they look very solid and concrete and there is no ambiguity as to where the tracks are pointing. The next step is to see how well he can make the train speed along the very fine tracks he has laid down.

It feels like strike 2 going to the draft again, the same sort of excitement when we had Scully and Trengove to kick start a new era for the 2010 season.

We are quite lucky in that Neeld has brought in 4 key forwards in the meantime and yet we had two top midfield picks fall to us with big wraps on them.

Without an unusual quirk in the Scully compo and father son we may have just secured our big men but had try and work with an existing average midfield.

I really feel we are lucky to have at least good potential in quite a few areas for the dees.

Edited by Bay Riffin

Yes, I now can see a way through the maze of respectability.

Toumpas had a massive smile on his face when shaking Neeld's hand. Hopefully no one will whinge along the same lines as Hogan...

I don't think his smile was big enough, defenitly going home. ; )

Give it a week or two, and a few reports on training in which we seem to be progressing really well. There will be posters' bemoaning the length of the pre-season, given their excitement for the season ahead.

The season finally gets underway, which after only a few short weeks, starts to not go as hoped. Next comes the pleas for the pain to end, with prayers for said season to quickly come to horrible conclusion.

The final stage is the wait between end of season and the trade/draft period, where optimism and excitement is once again restored. It is all a too familiar feeling, with many unfortunate souls continually getting sucked in, with some pessimists getting pulled along for the ride, yet some remain steadfast in their refusal to see the light.

It is the MFC seasonal cycle in all it's beauty. A very vicious one indeed, and not for the faint hearted!!!

Edited by Demon Disciple

Give it a week or two, and a few reports on training in which we seem to be progressing really well. There will be posters' bemoaning the length of the pre-season, given their excitement for the season ahead.

The season finally gets underway, which after only a few short weeks, starts to not go as hoped. Next comes the pleas for the pain to end, with prayers for said season to quickly come to horrible conclusion.

The final stage is the wait between end of season and the trade/draft period, where optimism and excitement is once again restored. It is all a too familiar feeling, with many unfortunate souls continually getting sucked in, with some pessimists getting pulled along for the ride, yet some remain steadfast in their refusal to see the light.

It is the MFC seasonal cycle in all it's beauty. A very vicious one indeed, and not for the faint hearted!!!

I think the difference is that in previous years when we have been [censored], and finished near the bottom, we've gone to the draft, recruited a couple of kids and all of a sudden we've thought these kids were going to drag us in to the finals. Well this year we've approached it in a different manner and we have actually made substantial changes to the whole list and not just a few cosmetic and flimsy adjustments.

Even if we don't make the finals next year, which we probably won't, we have at least put ourselves in a much better position for the years to come and we have something to build on. We look like we are serious about improving the on-field performance and we're no longer hanging on to NQR players that were leading us nowhere. I also think that we have moved on from "doing it for Jimmy" and expecting young kids to rise up each time we were playing an important game; football is hard enough as it is without the additional responsibility of not wanting to let down a legend of the club. That's just not fair on the players in the team.

Who knows where we will end up next year, but at least we won't be going in to the year knowing that the players we had last year, that weren't good enough, are the same ones we are expecting to be this year.

• Like 2

I feel the same way but am a little more reserved - I am absolutely stroked with the "tracks" that Neeld and co have laid down - they look very solid and concrete and there is no ambiguity as to where the tracks are pointing. The next step is to see how well he can make the train speed along the very fine tracks he has laid down.

The train analogy is great .

Sadly , it is often used in the match day thread describing the score.

"Its a train wreck".

I feel the club has a new criteria & demands to be met by its players. The four pillars is one example of the new direction of the playing list & FD. I found it interesting that Todd Viney spoke about Kent being a player that was not afraid of hard work & was a tradie. This indicates that the players we are looking to bring in will have a hardened edge & also a good work ethic. Norm Smith also preferred his players to be blue colar types & I think that it gives us a great insight into the new direction in recruiting at the club. All the players picked on draft night also appeared to have good disposal by foot if their highlights are anything to go by which is something the list has been crying out for.

The thing I liked about the draft was the Neeld went after the players he wanted to fill roles, yes we could have used our later picks on some up and coming kids, but they would not have filled the roles he has in mind for them and they probably would not be ready next year. I for one are sick of every new coach coming in with another rebuild and 5 year plan, this is a fast track to move us forward it may take us 5 years to get there but these players are expected to start delivering next year.. Many of the young kids in the draft just expect to be picked up by a club without understanding or appreciating the once in a life time opportunity that it is. Kent and co are mature players who have played well at a senior level who probably did not give themselves much of a chance of getting picked, they truely understand the opportunity that they have been given and look to be keen to grab it and make it theirs.

• Like 1