Neeld interview on SEN

angrydee

Rivers in contract talks with the club - Neeld thinks that Riv needs to consider going to a club that's ready or staying. Sounded confident. Davey almost finished annual leave and doctor confident that the break in his foot healing well and he'll be ready for full training 29/10 - but is already training on the bike at the club. Expained the captain selection process and is rapt with the Jacks - sounded like Trenners has finished high in the b&f.

Looks up the Hun daily to see who he's moved on and who's walked out. Explained the Jurrah situation really well.

I like this bloke and he keeps rising in my estimation. Cool calm and collected.

• Like 4

Said Davey leaving was pure rumor, and that they (Neeld and Davey) had a laugh about it. Among a few other things said some of the younger players really impressed him with their commitment during the year but didnt elaborate... love to know who he meant?

As said before sounds like Trengove is going to poll well at our b n f which is odd. Also our leadership selection appeared to be a wishy washy attempt. Every player was rated on certain values out of 7. Maturity and experience was not a trait. Leigh Matthews was not the most popular player or coach but an outstanding leader. Leadership cannot be summed up by cliche traits. Not a knock on the Jacks but I would have preferred a different approach to our leadership group so that the laconic Garland and the bunsen burner Bartram weren't included.

As said before sounds like Trengove is going to poll well at our b n f which is odd. Also our leadership selection appeared to be a wishy washy attempt. Every player was rated on certain values out of 7. Maturity and experience was not a trait. Leigh Matthews was not the most popular player or coach but an outstanding leader. Leadership cannot be summed up by cliche traits. Not a knock on the Jacks but I would have preferred a different approach to our leadership group so that the laconic Garland and the bunsen burner Bartram weren't included.

Disagree completely. For a start they weren't values they were behaviours. That means they were judged on their actions, not on abstracts like values. There is a large difference imo. These behaviours were decided by the group after a lot of discussion of what they wanted out of their leaders.

As Neeld said, if maturity and experience were a criteria it would rule out 90% of the list. What he didn't say was the 10% remaining would be the same guys who were rejected by the process, the same guys who led us to 186.

It seems this is Neelds attempt to break the soft leadership culture that has thrived at Melbourne as long as I can remember. Hollywood Boulevarde needed to be demolished and Neeld got out the wrecking ball as soon as he arrived. I just hope he can build something out of the ruins.

• Like 15

Disagree completely. For a start they weren't values they were behaviours. That means they were judged on their actions, not on abstracts like values. There is a large difference imo. These behaviours were decided by the group after a lot of discussion of what they wanted out of their leaders.

As Neeld said, if maturity and experience were a criteria it would rule out 90% of the list. What he didn't say was the 10% remaining would be the same guys who were rejected by the process, the same guys who led us to 186.

It seems this is Neelds attempt to break the soft leadership culture that has thrived at Melbourne as long as I can remember. Hollywood Boulevarde needed to be demolished and Neeld got out the wrecking ball as soon as he arrived. I just hope he can build something out of the ruins.

My pet hobby horse - "values" . Values and behaviours go hand in hand but as you 100% rightly alluded to, values are meaningless words that look pretty on a poster unless they are backed up by clear,precise and defined behaviors. Trying to measure someone against a value of "Passion" is a fluffy nonsense if you dont define what behaviours to expect when assessing the value "passion" (i.e extra training sessions to improve weaknesses, being extra vocal on the track and on the field, wave the flag on the field when a team-mate goes down..etc)

• Like 3

6th in kicks, 2nd in handballs, 3rd in total disposals, 7th in marks, 3rd in total disposals and 4th in contested possesion out of 22 games, I'm pretty sure that is an indication of him going to poll well in our b n f and I can almost see him being top 5 this year, it's no surprise to me! Sure he hasn't had the best season, neither has the team, but he was consistent, and played every game and his defensive side of his game was top notch!

Also Bartram is a terrific leader and a player who gives 100% at every contest, every pre season session and is pretty much the fittest player in our team, before he had to pack on the kgs, nothing wrong with him being in the leadership group! It shows the younger kids the traits that are valued, hard working and giving everything for the club

Edited by Mad_Melbourne

Rivers in contract talks with the club - Neeld thinks that Riv needs to consider going to a club that's ready or staying. Sounded confident. Davey almost finished annual leave and doctor confident that the break in his foot healing well and he'll be ready for full training 29/10 - but is already training on the bike at the club. Expained the captain selection process and is rapt with the Jacks - sounded like Trenners has finished high in the b&f.

Looks up the Hun daily to see who he's moved on and who's walked out. Explained the Jurrah situation really well.

I like this bloke and he keeps rising in my estimation. Cool calm and collected.

Do we as supporters have the courage to back him in the long run?

We good interview and I found it encouraging.

Looks like the travails of the year have helped build some relationships in the club.

• Like 1

I thought it was a great opportunity for David King to ask questions to support his rant earlier in the season for MFC to cut their losses and sack Mark after a 8-9 rounds. Of course he wimped out……gees, these journos / commentators love dishing it out when they don't have to face their adversary but when they do, they don't have the guts. It tells me how much of a theatre our game is.

• Like 5

6th in kicks, 2nd in handballs, 3rd in total disposals, 7th in marks, 3rd in total disposals and 4th in contested possesion out of 22 games, I'm pretty sure that is an indication of him going to poll well in our b n f and I can almost see him being top 5 this year, it's no surprise to me! Sure he hasn't had the best season, neither has the team, but he was consistent, and played every game and his defensive side of his game was top notch!

Also Bartram is a terrific leader and a player who gives 100% at every contest, every pre season session and is pretty much the fittest player in our team, before he had to pack on the kgs, nothing wrong with him being in the leadership group! It shows the younger kids the traits that are valued, hard working and giving everything for the club

Also shows that we only see the 25% visible aspects of leadership - what our eyes witness on the groundon game day. We know nothing of the talk,encouragement, education and even chastisments on the ground, before the game, in the rooms and after the game.We have little visibility as to what they are doing during the week at training and even in social circumstances.

In short we have little insight into the whole leadership window.

• Like 2

Not that I need it but further vindication for me that he's the right man for the job. I really hope that we give him the full three years on his contract, regardless of next years results (although winless for half the year would hurt his chances) he is not a quick fix option. 2012 he knocked our house down and now he's rebuilding it.

Really hope he can convince JR to stay.

Edited by Pates
  • Like 1

Neeld spoke well, but I thought the questions were pretty boring and standard. I wanted to hear more than just about Moloney, who I know is going, more than about Davey, who no longer interests me as a player, and more than about Jurrah, who'll never play for us again.

He may not have answered questions about Gysberts and his challenges, Cook, when other delisting announcements would be made and how many we should expect, any interest in Caddy, if we were planning on bidding in the mini draft, our focus for the preseason - such as the amount of running on top of last year, what our weight training program would be - too many light bodies, what position Watts was likely to play next year, what he thought of the junior championships, confirmation of a recruiting manager coming from another club after the draft, etc.

As I said, he handled himself very well, but the questions were lame and of no interest to me. That said, I got what I expected.

• Like 2

He can only answer what hes asked and would have been foolish to offer anything really without having to.

Face it he wasnt being interviewed by any mental giant was he .

Neeld bats straight ( at least to the public )

• Like 1

That was a really, really impressive interview.

Especially the way he described Liam Jurrah's predicament. He spoke with warmth and great empathy and I feel better now about the circumstances in which Liam left the MFC.

• Like 9

To answer Ben-Hur on one of his questions. I spoke to Jack Watts today when he came to my work and he told me that he will start down back next year and will then be moved back into the forward line later in the season. Hope this helps!

• Like 3

To answer Ben-Hur on one of his questions. I spoke to Jack Watts today when he came to my work and he told me that he will start down back next year and will then be moved back into the forward line later in the season. Hope this helps!

well there ya go

Neeldy obviously looking to change up a gear through the season. Its all a work in progress.

That seems a bit odd to me I'm sorry... how on earth would he know this was going to happen? I very much doubt the football department will have much of an idea yet about where they will be playing Watts mid-way through next season; particularly when they don't yet know who they will be picking up through free agency, trades and drafts. I did however say in another thread that I thought Watts would probably do another season in the back line and then move forward the following year (but I would think that's a pretty easy call to make).

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 1

Lol here we go again... 7 posts and posting rumors... Bless your little hearts Demonland