Quinten Lynch

beelzebub

its just a fb page like any other fb page. someone posting something

• Like 1

Trade week radio doesn't start til next week according to hutchy on twitter

trade week dooesnt actually start til monday after f/s bidding

Trade week radio just tweeted that they are live today 3-5pm with Hutchy and Barrett.

I am assuming they realised there would be some demand for Free Agency talk so are doing a small segment each day.

You can listen through the AFL website, as well as the AFL app this year.

Trade week radio just tweeted that they are live today 3-5pm with Hutchy and Barrett.

I am assuming they realised there would be some demand for Free Agency talk so are doing a small segment each day.

You can listen through the AFL website, as well as the AFL app this year.

Hutchy underestimated FA.

Demonlanders nothing on WA radio except Collingwood front runners for Lynch and Carlton next in line. The only trade being discussed during the news related to Freo announcing they will chase Danyle Pearce.

Reading the thread here seems to suggest Lynch to Pies done deal, barring facebook, big footy and dart throwing journo's can any of you provide confirmation either way or are we looking at another Clark to Freo scenario

Cheers

Hutchy underestimated FA.

i think a lot of people underestimated FA !!!

john butcher is a spud

Lol 22 goals in his first 12 games contradicts your views mate. Very very rare for a young tall forward to come in and have that kind of impact. Struggling with injury at the moment but he has just gone 21. I'd personally be ecstatic if we managed to score Butcher but it won't happen.

• Like 2

Someone younger such as...?

Fitzpatrick! Or trade for Gumby. Even the rumour of interest in Butcher. I like all of these better than moving on Lynch. In every case they are a long-term prospect, even if there are concerns about their ability to keep on the park. Also, they don't involve Free Agency.

Also, they don't involve Free Agency.

You make it sound like a bad thing.

So.... what stops us going for both options here Ralphius? I actually see Lynch and Clark enabling us to bring in another player like Fitzy, or Watts if played forward or gumby / butcher.

Take a look at WCE, Darling had Kennedy and to a lesser degree Cox and NicNat to aid his intro into AFL, playing the third forward or third tall in defence is easier than being the main man

Similarly at the Hawks with Roughead and Franklin, Gunston has had the benefit of being the third tall.

Remember we have to give up nothing except a contract and a spot on the list. No trades, no picks.. just a spot on the list.

• Like 1

Fitzpatrick! Or trade for Gumby. Even the rumour of interest in Butcher. I like all of these better than moving on Lynch. In every case they are a long-term prospect, even if there are concerns about their ability to keep on the park. Also, they don't involve Free Agency.

Not involving Free Agency is surely a con rather than a pro. It means the club they are at have an opportunity to play hardball and force us in to overpaying in terms of draft picks. None of those guys are any sure thing either, there would be a significantly higher level of risk paying for someone like Butcher or Gumbleton than having a proven forward come for next to nothing. And I thought the idea was to increase our competitiveness now.

The two options don't have to be mutually exclusive either. There's no reason we can't go after Lynch and Butcher/Gumbleton.

Edit: beaten to the punch by Oucher.

You make it sound like a bad thing.

So.... what stops us going for both options here Ralphius? I actually see Lynch and Clark enabling us to bring in another player like Fitzy, or Watts if played forward or gumby / butcher.

Take a look at WCE, Darling had Kennedy and to a lesser degree Cox and NicNat to aid his intro into AFL, playing the third forward or third tall in defence is easier than being the main man

Similarly at the Hawks with Roughead and Franklin, Gunston has had the benefit of being the third tall.

Remember we have to give up nothing except a contract and a spot on the list. No trades, no picks.. just a spot on the list.

Not involving Free Agency is surely a con rather than a pro. It means the club they are at have an opportunity to play hardball and force us in to overpaying in terms of draft picks. None of those guys are any sure thing either, there would be a significantly higher level of risk paying for someone like Butcher or Gumbleton than having a proven forward come for next to nothing. And I thought the idea was to increase our competitiveness now.

The two options don't have to be mutually exclusive either. There's no reason we can't go after Lynch and Butcher/Gumbleton.

Edit: beaten to the punch by Oucher.

This is all very true. My argument against taking anyone through FA is based on the notion that we could potentially upgrade ourselves to pick 5 as compensation for the players lost and that this is worth more than any of the free agents we might sign. I look at the crop available and I have to think that there isn't a player there worth more to us than pick 5 in this years draft. Of course, I have no way of knowing how the AFL would grade the players we are losing but we have last year's B&F winner and a guy who has finished top 5 two years running, both of whom are in the top paid layers at the club. Surely that will count for something? Plus we have a good chance of Bate moving on, although he hasn't been talked about that much.

Added to this calculation is the fact that, as stated above, I like a few other players more than I like Lynch to fill the spot in our forward line. They are risky because of their history of injuries, but I think the potential upside is greater and they stand to be at the club for most of the nest decade rather than a couple of years.

This is all very true. My argument against taking anyone through FA is based on the notion that we could potentially upgrade ourselves to pick 5 as compensation for the players lost and that this is worth more than any of the free agents we might sign. I look at the crop available and I have to think that there isn't a player there worth more to us than pick 5 in this years draft. Of course, I have no way of knowing how the AFL would grade the players we are losing but we have last year's B&F winner and a guy who has finished top 5 two years running, both of whom are in the top paid layers at the club. Surely that will count for something? Plus we have a good chance of Bate moving on, although he hasn't been talked about that much.

EDIT: Hope this makes sense... a little vague at the moment :)

Added to this calculation is the fact that, as stated above, I like a few other players more than I like Lynch to fill the spot in our forward line. They are risky because of their history of injuries, but I think the potential upside is greater and they stand to be at the club for most of the nest decade rather than a couple of years.

I would be astounded if we lose Moloney, Rivers and lets say Bate or someone like that, and the AFL then turn around and give us a category 1 compensation pick. Part of the compensation surely must factor in the size of the contract that the other club is offering. I can't see any of our players being offered a big contract. Yes a lot of the other things will get factored into the equation (B&F, top 10 in brownlow etc) but it would be miniscule I think in comparison... The compo rules would have to be similar to the ones for losing players to the expansion clubs. Scully landed us the picks we got I believe moreso because of the size of the contract he was offered more than what he had shown (Being number 1, or 'other' stats like B&F etc might helps somewhat but contract is going to be the biggest indicator of a players worth...)

I think as things stand we have the potential to inject some experienced role players into the club that will assist the development of our group through free agency, we have the draft picks at our disposal to pick up some very good younger players, AND the space in our salary cap to lure player(s) over in trade week if we need to.

Edited by Oucher

Yeah, I have pondered this also but don't shoot yourself in the foot and not improve your team on a hope that might not eventuate.

Go after players to improve your team and the compensation will land where it lands.

• Like 1

Yeah, I have pondered this also but don't shoot yourself in the foot and not improve your team on a hope that might not eventuate.

Go after players to improve your team and the compensation will land where it lands.

We have assumed unwisely for a number of years that high draft picks turn into very good players.

This has been our folly lets not go down this path again.

We need seasoned players as well as kids.

• Like 4

I would be astounded if we lose Moloney, Rivers and lets say Bate or someone like that, and the AFL then turn around and give us a category 1 compensation pick. Part of the compensation surely must factor in the size of the contract that the other club is offering. I can't see any of our players being offered a big contract. Yes a lot of the other things will get factored into the equation (B&F, top 10 in brownlow etc) but it would be miniscule I think in comparison... The compo rules would have to be similar to the ones for losing players to the expansion clubs. Scully landed us the picks we got I believe moreso because of the size of the contract he was offered more than what he had shown (Being number 1, or 'other' stats like B&F etc might helps somewhat but contract is going to be the biggest indicator of a players worth...)

I think as things stand we have the potential to inject some experienced role players into the club that will assist the development of our group through free agency, we have the draft picks at our disposal to pick up some very good younger players, AND the space in our salary cap to lure player(s) over in trade week if we need to.

Tanking in FA period?

I can't figure out if this post is serious or not???

Pick 5 for Moloney & Rivers??? Hahahaha dreaming! Geezus, some of you really have no idea about the rest of the competition do you? If we were awarded pick 5 (or even pick 15) for our bunch of has beens the other clubs would mutiny.