Oliver Wines

PartyTimeJohnny

I'd rather go for a footballer than a lighter bodied athlete, but knowing us you're probably right.

Who said they have to be light bodied?

Neeld's game requires guys that can run really well. Look at those who are being recontracted first - athletes, guys with speed that can run. I'd be surprised if this isn't reflected in our drafting too.

Who said they have to be light bodied?

Neeld's game requires guys that can run really well. Look at those who are being recontracted first - athletes, guys with speed that can run. I'd be surprised if this isn't reflected in our drafting too.

I didn't say "light" bodied, I said "lighter" bodied. And I'm already assuming we've pocketed a lighter bodied runner with one of those first two picks. I'm talking about the other top 5 pick, i.e. the one I want for Wines. Neeld's game requires quality contested ball winners and runners. He was midfield coach of a premiership team that had a midfield comprising Swan, Pendlebury, Ball, Sidebottom and Thomas, which had a good combination of both.

I want Toumpas for his class, pace and run, but assuming we take Viney in the second round I'd rather complement Toumpas with a big bodied mid such as Wines, or Stringer, but I don't know enough about the latter. Rather than Toumpas and O'Rourke, or Toumpas and Mayes, I'd prefer to mix it up a bit with Mayes and Wines, or O'Rourke and Wines, or Toumpas and Wines.

Let's get a big bodied young mid in the mould of Morabito, Dangerfield, or Martin. The best mids today are either big bodied, or quality insiders, i.e. Selwood, Watson, Thompson, Swan, Pendlebury, Hayes, Judd ...

I agree that we're desperate for a Toumpas, Mayes, or O'Rourke, but get a quality big bodied inside mid to complement the runner. I read where Wines is adding run to his game, which resulted in 3 goals in a quarter to get Bendigo back into a game. Hopefully Blease and Evans can also add run and pace to the midfield next year. My perfect scenario would be Toumpas, Wines, pick 13/Caddy, and Viney.

It goes without saying that anyone in the top 5 of a draft that is considered very good early on will be a good footballer irrespective of their running capabilities.

It goes without saying that anyone in the top 5 of a draft that is considered very good early on will be a good footballer irrespective of their running capabilities.

Morton...

• Like 1

Also, Deledio is a good runner, but who would you prefer out of Deledio, or Cotchin ?

Stanton is a good runner, but who would you prefer out of Stanton, or Watson ?

Zaharakis is a good runner, but who would you prefer out of Zaharakis, or Watson ?

What "runners" do Hawthorn have that you'd prefer over Mitchell, or even Sewell ?

Varcoe or Selwood ?

I'm all for run and pace, you need those players in your side, but give me a quality inside mid any day. Viney and Wines, plus Toumpas and another runner at pick 13 gives the best of both worlds.

Scully is a great runner, but now, with the benefit of hindsight, who really thinks he'll be the best player from his draft ?

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Also, Deledio is a good runner, but who would you prefer out of Deledio, or Cotchin ?

Zaharakis is a good runner, but who would you prefer out of Zaharakis, or Watson ?

What "runners" do Hawthorn have that you'd prefer over Mitchell, or even Sewell ?

Varcoe or Selwood ?

I'm all for run and pace, you need those players in your side, but give me a quality inside mid any day. Viney and Wines, plus Toumpas and another runner at pick 13 gives the best of both worlds.

Scully is a great runner, but now, with the benefit of hindsight, who really thinks he'll be the best player from his draft ?

Good argument...win the clearances ..win the game.

Varcoe or Selwood ?

Excellent point. Runners are icing. Quality inside mids others look a lot better - I could imagine guys like strauss and blease benefiting hugely

• 1 month later...

Love the sound of this kid, won't be around by pick 13, would love to use pick 4 on him.

Apparently similar to Viney, don't care, fiercely competitive player who hates losing with a passion. Can play inside and out from what I have read. The fact he is good mates with Jack is a huge plus.

They will push each other harder and harder, dragging many along with them. The camaraderie their inclusion to the squad, added to that already there thanks to our young leadership group could lead to a long term change in the culture at Melbourne.

I know intangibles are impossible to measure, but have a gut feel that if we draft Wines, we'll never regret it.

• Like 1

Agree Rod. I think it'd be a good move to draft this kid at 4. Wines and an outside mid with pace would be top priority. Having Wines and Viney would give us one of the hardest aggressive midfields in a few years time, and if we add some outside pace and skill with that then we are looking good. Let's hope this comes to fruition!

i'd love to get this guy too, but if what has been said about melbourne planning to trade pick 3 in this draft for 2 in the mini-draft so that we secure Hogan is true, i really can't see us getting him aswell, unless we're very lucky and he slips to pick 13/14.

And what you guys say about inside mids is right, there is no point to having outside players if you have no hard inside players that can get it out to them!

It ll come down to either O Rourke or Wines at 4 I would think.

Wines would have the chemistry with Viney to last a decade so i hope we go with him.

Outside mid with pick 13 - Kennedy, Simpson or Garlett

• Like 1

It ll come down to either O Rourke or Wines at 4 I would think.

Wines would have the chemistry with Viney to last a decade so i hope we go with him.

Outside mid with pick 13 - Kennedy, Simpson or Garlett

Wines and Viney played togther in like under 14 or 15's i thought

Viney has been in adeliade now metro, they didnt even play state together

I wouldn't be overly upset by taking Wines at 4. As I said on Viney in another thread, it is so difficult to pick which of the kids from the 3-10 range are going to be great players, and he is rated in that area. He seems to have a philosophy in keeping with Neeld's plans, which will serve him well. The fact that he and Viney are friends and like to work together is a bonus.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be overly upset by taking Wines at 4. As I said on Viney in another thread, it is so difficult to pick which of the kids from the 3-10 range are going to be great players, and he is rated in that area. He seems to have a philosophy in keeping with Neeld's plans, which will serve him well. The fact that he and Viney are friends and like to work together is a bonus.

Im not sure if Wines and Viney are best mates like the media make them out to be, but i def think theres an upside in picking players who know each other and have played together before.

Must take this kid at pick 3 or 4..

He is a Dustin Martin clone (minus the small IQ), and we already screwed up by taking both Scully and Trengove ahead of Martin in 2009.

WInes is a competitive beast who loves to go forward and kick goals. Would be an incredible addition to the MFC.

I wouldn't be upset to take Wines at 4, but would prefer Toumpas or O'Rourke if available.

I would be even more pleased if the "MODERATORS" would turn their clocks back an hour.

I think they moved the time for daylight saving for an hour without realising the digital network does it automatically.

Too many choices.... Not a lot between Toumpas and Wines by the look of it.

I do like the idea that Wines and Viney have played a lot of footy together, are both ferociously competitive and love the Dees. With the closeness of players tagging these days, I think I would prefer stronger body Dustin Martin type over players who maybe a little faster, as you have to get the ball before you can run with it.

I want hard, tough players. I want 17 other clubs cursing the memory of Mitch Robinson and his bruise free comments. I want them all to know that they've been in a game when they play us, and that if they beat us they know that we will hit them harder next time.

If this kid can bring that sort of attitude then I want him.

O rourke comes across to me as more of a ball magnet with a slightly more class. Thinking more about it I would prefer him more as we already have enough brute in terms of Sylvia, Jones and Viney.